Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishman to direct live-action AKIRA

Options
  • 29-10-2007 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Taken from Bloody-Disgusting.com.

"One of the greatest post-apocalyptic thrillers ever told was the animated Manga Akira, which saw an announcement wayyyy back in July of 2003 that James Robinson would pen the adaptation with director Steven Norrington. I'm sure this has long passed, but we do have something official that just leaked to us through the grapevine, something that's going to blow your socks off. We've been informed that Warner Bros. Pictures is trying to get Akira off the ground pre-strike and have attached 29-year-old Oscar nominated Irish director Ruairi Robinson! No more details have been revealed other than he directed a mind blowing short film entitled The Silent City, which can be viewed over at BDTV. Watch this spot for more news soon and cross your fingers that this sucker gets rolling ASAP."
    God, who thought that Ireland would be invovled in the filming of Otomo-sensei's masterpiece manga? Hope he films the opening biker chase in Dublin, hah.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

There gonna need some budget for it!

Can't see it working though- it will be too dialed down,espically after 9/11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I highly doubt that this is true at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Seems to be a lot of mentions for Ruairi:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Ruairi+Robinson%22+akira

Ok just found out that it true made a phone call to see :D he was nominated for a academy award with Fifty Percent Grey

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

He's on boards and has posted in Film Production in the past.

Dead Silence is pretty neat.

• Advertisement

I love that short film the cg is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

has anyone heard any word on the script development? Any clue if they are working from the manga or the anime as theres some major differences between the two.

There's probably about enough material for 6 films in the Manga... so I'd say they'll just take certain elements from the anime and then make up the rest themselves.

The original anime movie was a tad confusing, so I can't see a feature film having a huge amount in common with it.

Oh yes... and speaking of Akira... I really want to pick up a copy of this:

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3337872/Akira-Club/Product.html

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Ah, Akira Club, I totally need to pick that up. Borders in Blanchardstown have it, if you're interested Fudge. Think its round' 40 quid though...
    Still, I'd be willing to pay any amount of money for an Otomo book.
    That reminds me; does anyone else get slightly annoyed when reviewers say that Otomo crammed 6 volumes of the manga into a one-hour film? I mean, he started on the film halfway through volume 2 for chrissakes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

He's on boards and has posted in Film Production in the past.

Dead Silence is pretty neat.

Cool and I spy Cillian Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WadeTalon

Sony tried to get a live action Akira off the ground back in the late 90's, i fell flat on its arse because it was going to be too costly. In my humble opinion a live action version of this story would have to be at least 4hrs long or else cut into two movies otherwise too much of what is needed to tell the story will be left out.

The Anime was amazing in its own way, but anyone who has read the graphic novels will know how much had to be left out. I aint going to hold my breath on this one. If a big hollywood studio are involved in this you can bet your burritos that its going to suck major monkeyballs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

completely agree no way they can do it justice as in most cases wen tyin to convert it to the silver screen they come up lacking

• Registered Users Posts: 34,836 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh yes... and speaking of Akira... I really want to pick up a copy of this:

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3337872/Akira-Club/Product.html

A book which is meant to be better is the Akira animation archives.

http://dmd-sales.com/artbooks4/4063301958.jpg

I keep meaning to buy a copy as someone informed me some of my cels are in it. Pricy book, plus it's all in Japanese.

Another one to look out for is Akira Mechanix. Extremely rare though. Have yet to see a copy for sale anywhere.

As for the live action film being directed by an Irish former NCAD student? Woah! Still don't know what to make of that.

Hopefully a US based Akira won't look like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

hahahahahahahaha, beautiful ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Hahah, I watched that already, brilliant stuff! :D
    Also; Leonardo confirmed he won't be starring in the film at all, only producing it.
    I believe our man Ruari is still doing something with it as well...

Advertisement