Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

book that covers complete irish history

Options
  • 29-10-2007 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

im looking for a book that covers the complete history of ireland. from the first settlers to present day.

is there such a book. i was thinking of something like the timeline for the penguin history of the world only just about ireland

i seen the oxford component to irish history mentioned in recommended reading.

would this be suitable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi Maradona10, do you want a book that goes into great detail, or just one that basically covers the major issues of history?

if the latter then I recommend the book below:
    http://estore.websitepros.com/1412041/-strse-776/Atlas-of-Irish-History/Detail.bok

Doesnt go 'that' indepth, but gives you the basics, broken up in many chapters and has accompanying charts, images, maps etc etc, not a bad read at all!

Hope thats of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

greats stuff. i was hoping someone would get back to me. ill definetly check this one out. i guess i was looking for the definitive book on irish history. theres so many books on different phases.

do u know anything about the oxford companion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

maradona10 wrote: »
    do u know anything about the oxford companion
    The Companion is more like a big dictionary or encyclopaedia, rather than a history of Ireland per se. I really like it, but I do have a fairly good understanding of Irish history already. Were you looking for something at a particular level?

since time began here to present day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Maradona, there is a good book called "The Course of Irish History" by TW Moody and FX Martin.

It's based on an RTE TV series that I have never seen but the book itself is a good read and covers what I think you are looking for. It's like a set of lectures from each period up until the 1960's although I think there is a newer edition out now that covers up to the 1990's.

• Advertisement

That's not what I meant: do you want a simple introduction or a detailed work?

reading europe a history by norman davies got me thinking if there was a book on irish history in that style. a chronological detailed book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

maradona10 wrote: »
    since time began here to present day.

Don't mean to be rude but you are being a little vague about what you are looking for. In your first post you said you wanted something from the first settle rs (which would've been about 9000b.c.) but if you want one from when time/history/writing began, you are only talking about 500-600a.d. to present. So depending on what you are looking for there is a vast difference. Also, I don't really think you'll find a definitive guide to the whole of Irish history. If you want a detailed knowledge of it then you'll probably be better off in the long run getting decent books that cover each period, although that will probably take longer to read and be more expensive.

well then from 9000bc to present if possible

or as close to it as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well then I definitely don't think you'll find anything very detailed if it is to take in that much time.

• Advertisement

well then ill settle for the closest to it

Maradona, there is a good book called "The Course of Irish History" by TW Moody and FX Martin.
    I think this is one of your better bets, then.

Advertisement