Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying an M3 any advice

Options
  • 29-10-2007 11:02pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

AS the title says thinking of trading in the Z4 and getting an M3, dont want to really spend more than €55-€60K on the car. Oh and must be a convertible as well.

Any thing to look out for apart from the usual. Would i be better getting her in from the UK?

Thanks
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Well what do you expect to get for your budget? Year/ Mileage of car-wise?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hoping to get a 04 car within that budget under 50,000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Get it in the UK - you'll get a decent spec, and you'll get one well within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

TPC/IP,
    Make sure you take a coupe M3 for a spin too, just to compare the 2, I have never driven the conv M3 but I believe the handling is massively compromised by the lack of roof.
    I had a 320Ci conv a couple of years ago which I got rid of after 5 months due to the scuttle shake. Just my 0.02c
    or, if possible get one with a removable hard top, cuts down on road noise massively and stiffens it up too.
    Happy shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

I'd second Victor's comments...

Soft tops are for chicks :)

Coupe will be a far better drive and personally looks a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

If you're single, buy the convertable.

C_Breeze wrote: »

Why?

C_Breeze wrote: »

...and blonde with large breasts...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

...and female.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If you are thinking of travelling to UK check out this crowd:

http://www.imc-bmw.com/

I have to point out I have never dealt with them personally but one thing is for sure you are definitely their target market. They have a good selection of M3s all in one place.

I assume the OP understands the lack of a roof can compromise the handling of the car as he drives a Z4. What I would question is would the compromise be really that noticeable in real world driving?
    Are comments relating to the poor driving experience really only down to too many people
    I know that there are some around here that think convertibles/cabrios/soft tops are for girls but to be honest you'll normally find that males drive the majority of convertibles on our roads. Personaly speaking I can think of no better cure for a hang over than driving with the top down!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

difference tho z4 originally built as a roadster, m3 cab is a coupe with roof chopped off

90% of the M3's in the country are never driven hard enough for the handling difference between a coupe and convertible to become evident.

If you're buying it to do trackdays - get the coupe, otherwise the cabrio will be perfectly fine. Hardtop provides additional security too.

kdevitt wrote: »
    90% of the M3's in the country are never driven hard enough for the handling difference between a coupe and convertible to become evident.

If you're buying it to do trackdays - get the coupe, otherwise the cabrio will be perfectly fine. Hardtop provides additional security too.

I have to say i disagree strongly with that, with the quality of the roads in this country you feel each and every bump rattle it's way through the cabin of a softtop 3 series, I say that having owned 3 E46 coupes (currently an M3) and 1 convertible. That and the noise through the cloth roof.

I don't recall commenting on road noise? Its obviously going to be noiser with the roof chopped off. I'm sure the OP is aware of that, being a current Z4 owner.

My current E46 M3 doesn't handle any different as such to any E46 cabrio I've driven at normal speeds, and there definitely isn't a huge difference in bumps and rattles.

Another positive is that the cabrio is still slightly more unusual to see on the roads - the coupe is common as muck unfortunately now.

kdevitt wrote: »
    I don't recall commenting on road noise? Its obviously going to be noiser with the roof chopped off. I'm sure the OP is aware of that, being a current Z4 owner.

My current E46 M3 doesn't handle any different as such to any E46 cabrio I've driven at normal speeds, and there definitely isn't a huge difference in bumps and rattles.

Another positive is that the cabrio is still slightly more unusual to see on the roads - the coupe is common as muck unfortunately now.

As was mentioned earlier, the Z4 is a soft top by design, the M3 cabrio a coupe with the roof chopped off.

As for the M3's not being driven hard by the majority of owners, I would suspect there are a considerable amount of M3 owners that drive the car hard, not just people who want the top of the range BM (although there arealways going to be people like that with every brand!).

As for the rattle's honestly, you have to live with one to appreciate the comprimises fully, maybe it's just because I came from a coupe and was used to the stiffer chassis but I found it unbearable.

Not that he is by any means an impartial commentator, but if I recall, Clarkson said the the M3 coupe was one of the best car's money can buy and the cabrio was one of the worst cars he had ever tested.

Common as muck! Now come on, granted they aren't as exclusive as they used to be, but I see more Porsches (mainly boxsters granted) then I do M3's, common as muck would suggest mondeo volumes on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Oh and must be a convertible as well.

I think we have gone off topic a bit there guys. The OP has clearly stated it must be a convertible.

I wouldn't be so sure that the hardtop offers extra security. I have read somewhere that in the UK that there was a spate of BMW hardtops being stolen. They only have 3 clips holding them in place, all that is required to steal one is two reasonably string guys & something to break the window. They cost approx €3,800 new & make €1,200 2nd hand. I like the convertible as it's kind of like 3 cars in one, it looks so different with the hood up, the hood down & then the hardtop in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Victor_M wrote: »
    As was mentioned earlier, the Z4 is a soft top by design

Used to be alright, but no the case anymore.

Thanks for the replies guys. Only ever had a soft top so used to the noise. To be honest I will take both the coupe and the rag top for a drive. Took a 01 coupe out today as it was the only one the dealer had apart from a brand new one which I sure can not afford. Power was amazing but gear box (manual was terrible) I want one with auto/smg.

What I was really looking for was problems on M3s' to look out for.

Anybody with one what MPG are you getting

Thanks
    TCP/IP

if im right any more than a combined 23/24 mpg is unlikely, but you dont buy an m3 and worry about that :)

Thats not so bad as the Z4 is only giving me 25mpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's all down to how you drive. I've never owned an M3, but i'd imagine 17mpg would be closer to reality.

maybe ken devitt can enlighten us but one of the lads in work has an e39 m5 and his trip comp is at around 20 mpg id imagine m3 is better than a 5litre v8!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cyrus wrote: »
    maybe ken devitt can enlighten us but one of the lads in work has an e39 m5 and his trip comp is at around 20 mpg id imagine m3 is better than a 5litre v8!
    I'm sure my grandmother could better that. Like I said, it's all down to how you drive.;)

i think richie might take offence to that ;)

My combined is over 26MPG at the moment due to several long trips - don't use it for going to work either though.

The manual box is fantastic on the M3 - if you felt it was terrible theres a good chance it was shagged. SMG is supposed to be fine, but can be hard to sell on.

As for not being common - I see more M3s in Dublin 15 than I've seen in Sydney in two months!

Agree with KDevitt on the MPG I'm currently reading 25Mpg, I haven't reset the trip comp in a few weeks, that a combination of driving to Derry and driving around the city, put it this way, it's not much worse than the 328Ci i had before, I drive it reasonably hard all the time.

The increrase in power is not proportional to the decrease in fuel consumption if you know what i mean.

As for Dublin 15, I live there, if there are 5 M3's in the whole area I'd be surprised, maybe you just see the same few driving around ;) or maybe Aussie's prefer Holden's to Bm's;)

OP, the manual gear box is super on the M3, they can feel a bit mechanically clunky, I think that's just their nature, so the one you tested may have just felt different, or it could have been damaged.

Try and make sure you get one with the TV/Sat Nat & the Harmon kardon sound system, also full Napa leather, not the poxy half leather some of them have. The HK system, although far from audiophile stuff, it's a big improvment on the regular sound system, it and the TV monitor will make for an easier resale in a couple of years.

18's vs 19's wheels! 19's look better no doubt, but increased road noise, higher chance of kerbing and decrease in handling are the trade off.

Manual gearbox on all e46 coupes is a bit clunky. Mine is...but it's still lovely...
    Autobox M3 will defo be harder to shift. It's a drivers car. But on the soft top that might be okay as buying the softtop means you're doing more cruising than bruising.

I'm getting 23.5MPG from my 325 :( All city driving...1st gear...2nd gear...back to 1st...bit of a break in traffic and hit the gas :D ...then back to 2nd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cyrus wrote: »
    if im right any more than a combined 23/24 mpg is unlikely, but you dont buy an m3 and worry about that :)

at USD$93 a barrel yesterday, you soon will.............

oh, btw OP : +1 on the auto/SMG choice. CarLover's post above shows why it makes sense............that, and Gaybo's new cameras............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

if the price of oil worries you buy a focus diesel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

My 335's petrol light comes on after 360 kms - 223 in good old miles and the average computer usually sits solidly at 20mpg but having a little fun last week, it dropped to 7 :). It's about €67 quid to fill it and if I'm lucky I get a week out of it. That's all city driving with an auto box and a heavy right foot, the E46 M can't be much worse than my story.

Advertisement