Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism and Agnosticism society?

Options
  • 29-10-2007 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, why is there no Atheism and Agnosticism society in DIT?
    Did a previous attempt fail horribly?
    It would be a useful society to talk to like-minded individuals'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

The creation of an Atheism and Agnosticism society in DIT would be blasphemous. Why on God's earth would you want to join one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Heresy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i heard airsoft is the same thing as athiesm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I was gonna go to this soc but then didnt believe it existed! Boom boom..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

what sort of events would such a society organise? it all sounds a bit pointless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I reckon the society would just exist to educate people about secular living, and without imposing the typical "There is no god. end of." statement in seminars etc, hopefully people could understand Atheism and Agnosticism a bit better through discussions etc.
    It would be a society to open up and talk about these issues.

However, I can see how it could turn into an awful mess if abused.
    When I say it's a good idea, I don't want Nazi like ideologies imposed on people who simply reject Atheism/Agnosticism.
    It's not all about bashing the theists tbh, simply to educate and develop those who opt to participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I have come to a conclusion that this probably won't work in the grand scheme of things:o

[/idea]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Because nobody who's a atheist or agnostic really gives a **** about forcing their beliefs on other people, ad everyone who's a atheist or agnostic doesn't give a **** about talking about the fact, because they've made up their min and don't really give two ****s about God or religion.

Basically, it's pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

Naikon wrote: »
    I reckon the society would just exist to educate people about secular living, and without imposing the typical "There is no god. end of." statement in seminars etc, hopefully people could understand Atheism and Agnosticism a bit better through discussions etc.
    It would be a society to open up and talk about these issues.

However, I can see how it could turn into an awful mess if abused.
    When I say it's a good idea, I don't want Nazi like ideologies imposed on people who simply reject Atheism/Agnosticism.
    It's not all about bashing the theists tbh, simply to educate and develop those who opt to participate.

Have you read Bertrand Russell?? His essays on Christianity are fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

i heard airsoft is the same thing as athiesm

XD Post of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement