Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor web texts - only 1 per recipient per month

• 29-10-2007 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31 springhill6

New restriction on Meteor since 26 Oct 2007, only 1 recipient per month, which means you cannot send more than one text a month to same number, so much for group texting. And also Meteor cannot count groups, 300 free texts a month, if you select a group of 30 recipients, when sent zero groups remain,
    and do not send to same person twice in month, it won't get there. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

thats stupid i mean u cant even save 300 numbers on ur sim card u can only save 240 , i think ther will b alot of emails being sent to complain about this stupid service

i've just sent 2 to the same number..

It clearly says it on the site, but is still working as normal.

I think they might've messed up a little with the wording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

You have picked it up entirely incorrectly.

I think you should reread what they mean.

And I haven't clue what you are on about regarding group texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Are you certain or are you just panicking?

Looks like they implemented some changes so it's probably just a bug...

https://www.mymeteor.ie/mymeteor/system/view/sms.cfm
    Web Texts Explained

Send up to 300* Web Text messages per month free of charge to any Irish number.

Remember - to send a Group Web Text, first create a group within the Phonebook and then choose this group as your chosen recipient.

Credits for group web texts are deducted per recipient e.g. group web text to 30 recipients reduces your web text credits from 300 to 270. As further examples, you may send 1 group of 30, 3 groups of 10 or 2 groups of 15 and so on.

*1 sms per recipient

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 springhill6

Looks like it was in my response to my complaint re Group web texting, i.e sending text from your browser. I had complained that if I sent to a group, lets say 1 group of 10, then if one begins with a limit of 30 groups, following sending this 1 group of ten, it says, only 20 group texts remaining, should be 29 in my opinion. Yes I did try and send a single text now to myself twice and was successful, but cannot understand what 1 per recipient means. So limiting, thinking of returning to O2, where they have an excellent group web text service, as I group text to my walking group weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the 1per recipient only means one recipient=1 text so if you send group text your balance will drop by the number of recipients

Looks like it was in my response to my complaint re Group web texting, i.e sending text from your browser. I had complained that if I sent to a group, lets say 1 group of 10, then if one begins with a limit of 30 groups, following sending this 1 group of ten, it says, only 20 group texts remaining, should be 29 in my opinion. Yes I did try and send a single text now to myself twice and was successful, but cannot understand what 1 per recipient means. So limiting, thinking of returning to O2, where they have an excellent group web text service, as I group text to my walking group weekly.
    Again, I think you misunderstand.

You can send as many group texts as you please, in whatever combination you please, but the total number of recipients (delivered messages) cannot exceed 300.
    eg. 30 group texts a month to a 10 man group; or
    20 group texts a month to a 15 man group.

Basically, a total of 300 messages (recipients) are allowed get delivered from one account.
    That's 50 more than o2's rubbish webtext service.

"20 group texts a month to a 15 man group."

That is what I thought too, but I found out to my cost, not true,
    given example above, Meteor only allow 2 group texts to a 15 man group per month, that is their maths, and I can prove it. I sent 1 group text to a 29 man group, knowing I was allowed 30 Group texts, following this I had 1 group only allowed for rest of month, not 29. It might sound farcical, but this is my whole argument with Meteor. They have spoken on the phone to me and given that same crazy figure. Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

As has been said already, the 1 sms per recipient doesn't mean you can only send one sms to each person a month.

Also, Springhill, nice to see someone else from Glanmire on here!!! (Instead of standing outside Lucianos!!)

"20 group texts a month to a 15 man group."

That is what I thought too, but I found out to my cost, not true,
    given example above, Meteor only allow 2 group texts to a 15 man group per month, that is their maths, and I can prove it. I sent 1 group text to a 29 man group, knowing I was allowed 30 Group texts, following this I had 1 group only allowed for rest of month, not 29. It might sound farcical, but this is my whole argument with Meteor. They have spoken on the phone to me and given that same crazy figure. Thanks for your input.
    Your interpretation seems very odd.

My understanding is that you do not have a set "30 group texts". You can have as many as you like in whatever configuration. The 30 used in the explanation is merely an example.

You seem to think you are entitled to 30 group texts with 29 recipients in the group. That would mean sending 870 texts, which is almost 3 times your allowance. This is obviously incorrect.

I don't use the Group text, but I think you are mixing up 30 Group texts, 29 recipients and 29 remaining group texts, etc. Whatever about Meteor's maths, yours is certainly confused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Right. Well that's a bleeding disgrace.. 1 per recipient, what a joke! (Normal texting I mean - I rarely use group texting.)

Time to switch to Tesco Mobile when it launches I think. Similar competitive flat rates (20c/min all networks), good coverage, and I'm sure it doesn't have an idiotic webtext policy like this.

Looks like Meteor is entering its "screw the prepaids" stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Bit of an over reaction from the guy switching to tesco as a result.

read it again and you'll see it's all ok and nothing has really changed when sending texts to individuals except that it seems more reliable and the phone book is on the same page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

,8,1 wrote: »
    Right. Well that's a bleeding disgrace.. 1 per recipient, what a joke! (Normal texting I mean - I rarely use group texting.)

Time to switch to Tesco Mobile when it launches I think. Similar competitive flat rates (20c/min all networks), good coverage, and I'm sure it doesn't have an idiotic webtext policy like this.

Looks like Meteor is entering its "screw the prepaids" stage.

Calm down, nothing has changed. You can send more than one to each recipient. The one sms per recipient just means that when you send a group text to say 10 people 10 will be taken off your total. Reread it, it's been like that all along. Normal texting is not affected.

And of course Tesco don't have this webtext policy because they dont have webtexts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm sure it doesn't have an idiotic webtext policy like this.

I'd imagine it doesn't, seem as they don't seem to be offering webtexts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

oneweb wrote: »
    Could someone post an alternate link or the text of these conditions verbatim as they are not accessable to non-Meteor customers?

This thread is looking suspiciously like it was the product of illiteracy. If so I'll be closing it.

From Meteor's website:
    Meteor wrote:
    Web Texts Explained

Send up to 300* Web Text messages per month free of charge to any Irish number.

Remember - to send a Group Web Text, first create a group within the Phonebook and then choose this group as your chosen recipient.

Credits for group web texts are deducted per recipient e.g. group web text to 30 recipients reduces your web text credits from 300 to 270. As further examples, you may send 1 group of 30, 3 groups of 10 or 2 groups of 15 and so on.

*1 sms per recipient
    While the wording could be better, the OP has a very confused understanding of it.

Thanks for all the feedback. i am still waiting for one actual Meteor web text user to disprove me. Does it take that much effort to set up a group, lets say a group of 2, and send a group text. If one sends to a group, should be counted as 1 group text, yet notice it will be counted as 2.
    I have screen dumps in pdf format before and after to prove it, and to show to anyone.
    Anyone up for the challenge ? ;)

Thanks for all the feedback. i am still waiting for one actual Meteor web text user to disprove me. Does it take that much effort to set up a group, lets say a group of 2, and send a group text. If one sends to a group, should be counted as 1 group text, yet notice it will be counted as 2.
    I have screen dumps in pdf format before and after to prove it, and to show to anyone.
    Anyone up for the challenge ? ;)
    If you send a message to a group of 5 people then 5 out of your 300 webtexts will be used up.

How many groups will be used up, 5 I am saying.

I had 155 texts and 30 group texts.
    I sent 1 message to a group of 2 people.
    I now have 153 texts and 28 group texts left.

If this is what you mean?

• Advertisement

I think that is what the OP means.

And he does appear to be correct in saying this. This isn't alluded to in Meteor's webtext explanation.

Seems like an error on Meteor's part, as it makes a mockery of giving you the 30 group texts they do actually say they give you (I missed that earlier).

It basically means that a if you send 1 message to a group of 30 people, all your group texts are used up for the month (and 30 off the monthly 300). It must be a coding error in the recent webtext upgrade.

Right so finally it's all established and worked out.

Time to email Meteor :D

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Time to email Meteor :D
    Already done. :)
    Cheers to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 flibz

The allowance is 300 SMS per month.

You can send multiple SMS per recipient per month (i.e. 6 SMS to yer mum).

When you send group texts, you use 1 of your group text per recipient,

So, a group SMS to 5 users "costs" 5 of your groups SMS entitlement . Don't ask me why. I can't answer that. But that's how it's supposed to work - how it's always worked in fact.

Take it from me, as someone on "the inside".

F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 -avey-

well i hadnt even noticed the whole 1 sms per recipient thing, i was just liking the way my phonebook was now on the same page as the message, making life a little easier :D

We've been getting mixed opinions on it.

Now it's all AJAXed up and will probably break jSMS and it's friends, but the question is, is it any better?

New things to note: -
    The text box above phonebook & groups does a wildcard search of your phonebook.
    If you have a contact named "Mrs Jones" and you enter "Mrs Jo" in it, she'll be added to the message. If you enter "ones" she'll be added to the message. Basically, as long as it only matches 1 phonebook entry, your good to go...

If you enter a complete phone number in it, it will add it to the message. If it's a new number it will ask if you want to save it after the message is sent.

The phonebook & groups allow you to select multiple recipients (hold down control when selecting).

I thought it was all pretty obvious and intuitive, but then I would, wouldn't I...
    F

EDIT:
    Also, the even more confusing "*1 per recipient " text has been removed.

Any opinions expressed by me are not necessarily the view of anybody I may work for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh once logged in, its faster to text, very fast after clicking that send message link.

There are still problems logging in at certain times though, it just stalls, nothings changed there (:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Hi

Logged into mymeteor this morning.

I had 208 individual texts and 30 groups texts remaining.
    I created a group consisting of myself & my wife.
    I sent a text to the group.
    My remaining texts were 206 individual texts and 28 groups texts.

I expected my group texts to reduce by the number of people in the group, in this case 2 i.e. 30 - 2 = 28.

However I did not expect the individual texts to reduce by the same amount. So it looks like they reduce my total texts by 4 and not 2 (for this example).

Personally I am not worried as I hardly ever use "groups". If I send same text msg to a few numbers I usually hold control key and select the number individually.

Just what I noticed this morn!!

--laoisfan

• Advertisement

Your group text counter is a subset of your allowance.

So basically, you can use up to 30 of your 300 allowance for group messaging (again, don't ask).

But yes, selecting multiple recipients using the control key doesn't count as a group text..
    f

Advertisement