Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor web texts - only 1 per recipient per month

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

flibz wrote: »
    Your group text counter is a subset of your allowance.

So basically, you can use up to 30 of your 300 allowance for group messaging (again, don't ask).

But yes, selecting multiple recipients using the control key doesn't count as a group text..
    f

so really meteor are only giving us 270 texts as opposed to 300 if one uses group texting?

if one only uses individual texting with webtext we get the full 300?

that is my understanding from what you said above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 flibz

No, you do get the full 300.

Basically, using group texts is the same as selecting all the recipients manually.

If you have a group with 3 people and send to it, it uses 3 SMS's. If you select the 3 people manually it uses 3 SMS's.

The confusion is with the whole "group text" allowance being listed as if it's seperate, and it isn't. The 30 group allowance is part of the 300 SMS allowance.
    739f6ff9c7ff.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

No, you do get the full 300.

Basically, using group texts is the same as selecting all the recipients manually.

If you have a group with 3 people and send to it, it uses 3 SMS's. If you select the 3 people manually it uses 3 SMS's.

The confusion is with the whole "group text" allowance being listed as if it's seperate, and it isn't. The 30 group allowance is part of the 300 SMS allowance.
    739f6ff9c7ff.jpg

having look at your image, if you send 1 group text with 30 recipients, does it then prevent you from sending to more than one person after that?

or can you still send to more than one person by selecting multiple entries from the phone book and it just prevents you from selecting groups? seems a bit silly tbh. if they have texts left why do meteor care if they select them manually from the phonebook or select a group?

edit: i just sent a group text to 4 people and my group text allowance dropped by 8. wtf?

edit2: i seem to be right. i'm out of group texts because it thought i sent it to 8 people each time i sent it to 4 and now the groups list box is gone but i can still send the same text to the same 4 people if i select them from the phone book. that's ridiculous

I can't comment on the reasoning behind it the way it works (way, way, outside of my remitt), but that's correct.

If you've sent 1 group message to 30 people, you'll have 0 group SMS and 270 regular SMS left.

With the new (hold down cntrl and select as many as you like) phonebook functionality you can continue to send multiple recipient messages (each recipient costs 1 SMS) until you run out your 300.

F

I can't comment on the reasoning behind it the way it works (way, way, outside of my remitt), but that's correct.

If you've sent 1 group message to 30 people, you'll have 0 group SMS and 270 regular SMS left.

With the new (hold down cntrl and select as many as you like) phonebook functionality you can continue to send multiple recipient messages (each recipient costs 1 SMS) until you run out your 300.

F

it boggles the mind.

besides the stupid set up, its also coded wrong as i pointed out above. it seems to double the number of group texts you actually sent (a group of 4 took 8 group texts off me)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

my god this is a confused thread....300 individual texts or 270individaul+ a group of 30.
    this is probably wrong thus adding to the chaos:D:D:D

Just sent one myself and it worked OK, so that may be an intermittant issue. let me know if it does it again..

I set up a group with 1 member, and it only cost 1 group SMS.
    Then I set up a group with 2 members, and it cost 2 group SMS.

Again, I can't comment on the reason why things work they way they do. We just do it as specified.

F

prendy wrote: »
    my god this is a confused thread....300 individual texts or 270individaul+ a group of 30.
    this is probably wrong thus adding to the chaos:D:D:D

that's sort of what it is. its 300 individual texts of which 30 can be used as group texts

you can send up to 30 texts a month by creating groups and selecting them from the "group text" box. at that point the box disappears.

when you send a group text, your group text allowance drops by the number of people in that group, and the single text allowance drops by the same amount.

but when you have sent 30 texts using the "group text" box and it disappears, you can still send effectively send group texts by holding CTRL and clicking people on the phone book list box which makes the whole thing of 30 group texts really really stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Mass confusion at the highest degree. All pointing to Meteors failure to explain things clearly to customers.

ian_m wrote: »
    Mass confusion at the highest degree. All pointing to Meteors failure to explain things clearly to customers.

there is that but also we were all trying to figure out the set up assuming that it made sense. it doesn't make sense so as with any kind of figuring out we were at a disadvantage because we had made an incorrect assumption

• Advertisement

small bit off topic but does anyone know the number to activate free texts....
    not the one you text to the one you call.
    cheers

1905 is probably favourite. If they can't do it they'll know the number...

F

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

This seems madness. Surely it should operate like so.
    I have 300 Free web texts left, and 30 Group web texts left ,
    I send a Group Text to two people.
    Surely the Free web texts left should reduce by 1 and my Group web texts left should reduce by 2???

fletch wrote: »
    This seems madness. Surely it should operate like so.
    I have 300 Free web texts left, and 30 Group web texts left ,
    I send a Group Text to two people.
    Surely the Group web texts left should reduce by 1 and my Group web texts left should reduce by 2???

i assume you mean the Group web texts left should reduce by 1 and your individual web texts left should reduce by 2

yes that would make more sense but that's not how its done for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I can't think why they would not do it like that.

By leaving it as it is now, the user does not have "30 Group Texts", as the term "group text" implies a unique message to multiple recipients, and you can send 30 of these per month.

But instead it means "regular texts to a max of 30 recipients, but throwing into a section called "group" that offers little advantage over regular texting, as the limit of 30 is too restrictive."

In fairness, the recent webtext interface upgrade is a great improvement on the old setup.
    Something must be done about the group text issue though. The explanation provided on the website is rather useless, as it's not explicit about how it works.

this is what the site should say:

you have 300 texts a month. You can use all of them as group texts but after using 30 of them as group texts we make it slightly more inconvenient to do so because we disable the box where you saved your groups and you have to select the recipients individually

makes perfect sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

ian_m wrote: »

....and their web site could do with a major overhaul. Looks decided amateurish now compared with the competition. Especially the MyMeteor pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

i have headache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

okcomputer wrote: »
    i have headache
    LOL!
    i assume you mean the Group web texts left should reduce by 1 and your individual web texts left should reduce by 2

Yes I did...now corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gidget16

Hi..

Springhill 6 - You've misunderstood the web text on Meteor as my friend wors for them and told me all about the new web text.

*Firstly - it isnt 1 sms per month etc etc. it was just there to explain the misunderstanding behind GROUP text (see my second point) BUT.... now on the new web text you CAN! You can select all different types of people, AND groups, and send them the same message...

*Secondly - the Groups situation is slightly crappy.... but my understanding (again, my friend explained it) is that... if you have 30 friends in 1 group... then you could ONLY send 1 SMS to that 1 group (as there are 30 people in it)as n in GROUP text it IS 1 SMS per recipient.....

Any more questions - ASK ME as i know a lot about this.. i just annoy my friend!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

gidget16 wrote: »
    Springhill 6 - You've misunderstood the web text on Meteor as my friend wors for them and told me all about the new web text.
    Your friend? You mean yourself.

Banned for attempted deception and not disclosing commercial associations resulting in conflicts of interests.

flibz - you didn't disclose the above, but neither did you deceive or attempt to hide it, so I'm not banning you. Do however read the rules of the forum with regards to commercial associations resulting in conflicts of interests in the future.

For reference, for other folks who may have commercial associations, where are the rules regarding this?

Please bear in mind that people who work for corporates can get in deep water for posting through unofficial channels and may have to protect their identities.

It's a question of intent, and both myself and gidget are only trying to help - by either trying to clear up any confusion or making things better...

F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

For reference, for other folks who may have commercial associations, where are the rules regarding this?

Please bear in mind that people who work for corporates can get in deep water for posting through unofficial channels and may have to protect their identities.

It's a question of intent, and both myself and gidget are only trying to help - by either trying to clear up any confusion or making things better...

F

here here

flibz - you were only trying to help and thanks for that.

mod - please ban yourself for 2 weeks ;) LOL

Also, I'm only a lowly IT person. I don't cause change, I just make it happen and advise technically. Gidget can actually bring about change and they've been banned. [edit: according to the PM it's a permanent ban too. Just seems hard]

*sigh*

Surely it's only shilling if you say "I'm a Meteor customer and they're brilliant. You should join them", whereas "my friend works for them" is just identity protection...?

F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'm pretty open about my past and present commercial associations and presently I can categorically state that I neither work for an opco, nor have any potential conflict of interests. In other areas of the mobile industry I could be perceived to have a potential conflict of interest - and have disclosed this accordingly.

For those who are interested, the rules surrounding this issue are to be found here.

flibz, while you didn't disclose your position openly, neither did you hide it and you have taken steps to be fairly open about and that was good enough. gidget16, on the other hand, actively attempted to deceive and so was banned. I'm not going to get into debates about intent, because I've neither the time nor is intent frankly relevant. There have been way too many marketing bunnies from the various opcos using this forum in the past to shill for me to do so.

If gidget16 is genuinely trying to help then he/she is welcome to start again with a new account and read the rules before posting this time. Remember, all you have to do is state that there may be a potential conflict of interest, not give your employment details necessarily.

There will be no further debate on this issue here. If you want to, then do so on the Feedback forum.

I'm not sure I agree with abritary rulings. I think intent is very much an issue.

All I am going to say at this point is that I'm disappointed that a (perhaps ill conceived) attempt to be helpful was met with such a heavy handed response.

Howver, i will move any further discussion of this point to the feeback forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nade

Hi there.

If you have any questions - check the FAQ section on this discussion board posted by Flibz, or on the Meteor.ie web site.

Also - it is not 1 sms per recipient for the month. 1 sms per recipient refers to the GRoup web texting whereby each single user within the group is considered 1 sms... so if you have 30 people in a group and you send 1 group sms, then that is your quota finished with for the month.

Any more questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Nade. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

nade wrote: »
    Any more questions, let me know.

Why is the Group text so restrictive? The limit of 30 renders it almost useless.

The logic behind it is truly baffling.

There should be NO restriction on the number of group texts - just so long as the 300 monthly total is not passed within the month. And the way the group texts are counted is farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

I'm pretty open about my past and present commercial associations and presently I can categorically state that I neither work for an opco, nor have any potential conflict of interests. In other areas of the mobile industry I could be perceived to have a potential conflict of interest - and have disclosed this accordingly.

For those who are interested, the rules surrounding this issue are to be found here.

flibz, while you didn't disclose your position openly, neither did you hide it and you have taken steps to be fairly open about and that was good enough. gidget16, on the other hand, actively attempted to deceive and so was banned. I'm not going to get into debates about intent, because I've neither the time nor is intent frankly relevant. There have been way too many marketing bunnies from the various opcos using this forum in the past to shill for me to do so.

If gidget16 is genuinely trying to help then he/she is welcome to start again with a new account and read the rules before posting this time. Remember, all you have to do is state that there may be a potential conflict of interest, not give your employment details necessarily.

There will be no further debate on this issue here. If you want to, then do so on the Feedback forum.

k

Advertisement