Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with g-mail on NTL

Options
  • 29-10-2007 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Folks,

I have been using g-mail through outlook with irish broadband with no issues but recently changed to ntl and now I can send messages but nobody gets them and the only messages i recieve are from bebo - nothing else will come through.

Any Ideas ??

Karl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

What are your pop and smtp settings? They should now be pop.upcmail.ie and smtp.upcmail.ie.

NTL migrated these settings about three months ago and I think the NTL servers have stopped working properly since then for obvious reasons. Double check these gettings. Your POP settings should obviously be pop.gmail.com (or something similiar) but your SMTP should definately be smtp.upcmail.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I use gmail with no problems , but I use it through the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

Achilles wrote: »
    What are your pop and smtp settings? They should now be pop.upcmail.ie and smtp.upcmail.ie.

NTL migrated these settings about three months ago and I think the NTL servers have stopped working properly since then for obvious reasons. Double check these gettings. Your POP settings should obviously be pop.gmail.com (or something similiar) but your SMTP should definately be smtp.upcmail.ie

If you are using gmail you should use gmails POP and SMTP server details and not UPC's.

pop.gmail.com port 995
    smtp.gmail.com port 25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

smtp.upcmail.ie will work regardless and if gmail's smtp server is having trouble, why not just switch to NTL? Pop has to be the same to recieve though obviously.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

GMail works fine for me, loving the new IMAP ability, about bloody time!

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    smtp.upcmail.ie will work regardless and if gmail's smtp server is having trouble, why not just switch to NTL? Pop has to be the same to recieve though obviously.

Techincally yes you can but some mail servers may view mail sent int this way as spoofed mail i.e. senders address is @gmail.com but sending server is @upcmail.ie, also you can avail of encryption if you use the gmail server.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

Ok i tried the upc settings but with no joy - nothing sends at all.

I changed my google (sorry g-mail) smtp port number to 25 it was 465 and norton popped up with the following message

An encrypted email connection has been detected. Please see help for more information on how to transmit encrypted e-mail.

I clicked ok and outlook came back with the following error :

Unable to establish a SSL connection with the server. Account: 'myemailaddress@gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.google.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '454 TLS not available due to temporary reason', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 454, Error Number: 0x800CCC7F

Mails from boards.ie and bebo are coming through but nothing else

Yeah Norton is Sh**e. Disable norton briefly (if you can and are behind a hardware firewall) and try and send a mail again.

I dont know if this relates to your client but you can try the following steps

Disable the Internet Email Auto-Protect feature. To do so, follow these steps:

1. From the Start menu, select Symantec Client Security, and then Symantec AntiVirus.

2. Click Configure, and then Internet Email Auto-Protect.

3. Uncheck Enable Internet Email Auto-Protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Karlos_Sparky

Ok it seems the only mails I cannot recieve are from g-mail - everything else is going through even with norton on or off ... I'm stumped.

I logged onto g-mail webmail and checked the spam filter and everything seems ok

• Advertisement

Have you checked the gmail help page to ensure that you have configured your client correctly? have you tested connectivity without using a mail client, try the following commands from the command prompt and let me know if they succeed.

telnet smtp.gmail.com 465 and
    telnet pop.gmail.com 995

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If your not getting gmail mails its most likely down to the settings your using in your mail client or a firewall on yopur PC then anything NTL are doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I use Gmail with OE without problems. Check and follow to the letter the configuration settings in Gmail:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13276&topic=12567

Advertisement