Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Plug Socket ??

Options
  • 29-10-2007 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I recently got a new appliance from the states and the voltage info for it is 120volts 60hz (Max 325 watts).

Is it possible to get a US plug installed into my kitchen?

Or do I have to use a transformer? If so, could anyone recommend one?

Thx for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

You can get a transformer, I am not an electrician so would not sware by this - but as a hotel manager, I am used to Americans requiring such adaptors!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You could get an American socket in your kitchen, no problem. Trying to convince the ESB to supply it with 110V @ 60Hz could be a small problem.

A transformer is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I thought so - cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Keith,

You can buy a site transformer in Chadwicks in Bray, the smallest is generally in the region of 100VA, so a 325W applience would be no problem. This will plug into a normal 220v socket and give you out 110v. It is a bit big and bulky though! It will cost you about €70. You will need to change the american plug for a yellow 110v plug (also available in Chadwicks).

What is the applience?

Note: You should not have this transformer plugged in 24/7.

If you need more advice PM me. There are many other neater and more permanent solutions, but they are more involved and more expensive!

I am a qualified electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Any good electronics shop will stock a suitable transformer with the proper socket interface. Try Radionics, Peats or Maplin. Check their web sites.

If you are going to use it in a kitchen it is probably best to have it fitted by an electrician who will be familiar with the standards and safety aspects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement