Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student again!

Options
  • 30-10-2007 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I've started a new degree In Dublin this Sept. I previously completed a degree in the UK. I never availed of any funds from the Irish exchequer to enable me to do the degree. In fact I got a student loan from the UK. I am an Irish citizen and I am in receipt of the Back to Education allowance. I was initially declined the BTEA but I appealed and I won. They were declining me cos they said I already held a level 8 degree. I appealed on the basis that if I couldn't avail of the BTEA I would still be unemployed and on the dole cos I have a crap degree from the UK that's not worth the paper it's written on. My main bone of contention with them was that I never got any money from the Irish State so how could they penalise me. I now find out that the same rules apply to the local county councils in terms of already holding a level 8 degree. Ok, here's my question - eventually!

Am I entitled to the grant, does anybody know, as an Independent Irish mature student who is in receipt of the BTEA even though I already hold a level 8 degree from the UK even though I never availed of any grant or funds from the Irish exchequer to enable me to do that degree in the first place???

Comments

Greetings!

I had a reply all written out but then firefox ate it so... hello!

I had a quick look around some of the Council websites (since I don't know 100% myself) and some of them seem to express the opinions in their FAQs that if you are taking a second degree, you won't be eligible (even if you didn't receive a grant in relation to it previously). However, it doesn't specify whether that's purely a course done in this country or whether it counts any abroad. So I think you've found a grey area not covered by the grant system, and one which you'll probably have to fight on again.

So the first people to talk to would be the Council themselves. Depending on each council, it mightn't be too late to apply now (the deadline was the 30th of August but some accept far beyond that date 'cos they're great and stuff). If you find yourself struggling during the year - college is quite expensive as you know! - consider dropping into your student services department and/or your Students' Union to ask about the Student Assistance Fund. It's basically a fund which people can apply to within college for assistance in times of financial pressure. You mightn't need it now, but it's definitely worthwhile keeping it in mind for the future.

Best of luck with your grant application though, and your studies. Come back and let us know how successful you were :)

Dónal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 DDaccidental

I recently went back to college myself having completed my degree in 2003. Same situation-never got funding first time around but because it's a two yr diploma I'm studying at the moment I've been informed (10 wks after they received my application and much badgering for information) that due to it being a lower level course I'm not entitled to BTE grant either. I'm 26 and have been working for the last 5 yrs. I just think it's unbelievable that they'll give the grant to others who couldn't really give a ****e about their chosne course while I';m being penalised for wishing to further my education and enhance my career prospects. The course I'm studying is the most highly recommended media course in the country. I've appealed and the that bastards haven't even the good grace to respond to this. Surely I should have been informed of my application denial before I was two months into it??

Advertisement