Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

matt keane :fact or fiction

• 30-10-2007 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭

can anyone shed any light on the whole "matt keane doing the traffic reports on WLR " does he really go out and check the traffic or does he set his alarm for half seven roll over in bed to get his phone, and ring in with the usual "its choc a block top of the folly , traffic is slow but moving heading across the bridge from ferrybank etc etc etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

He does actually drive a moped around checking every morning !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

some mornings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    He does actually drive a moped around checking every morning !
    Aye, and the best part of it is that he's scared of mopeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I've seen him down by the bridge a few mornings. Never seen the moped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

ah the plot thickens , so far we have established that he does exsist but we can neither confirm or deny the exsistance of a moped .maybe julian walton borrows the moped when he is researching "on this day".or maybe matt keane and julian walton are the same person ? have they ever been seen in the same room ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

now there is an interesting story.....i have seen matt keane on moped but i have never ever seen julian walters.......or maybe i have.......maybe sungod is on to something...mmmm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Conspiracy forum anyone? :p Iv no idea who these people are (in apperance), I dont really listen to WLR. Never liked the station much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

funnily enough, i did work experience in WLR a good few years ago and for the 10 days i worked there, he went out ever morning to do the traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sully wrote: »
    Conspiracy forum anyone? :p Iv no idea who these people are (in apperance), I dont really listen to WLR. Never liked the station much!

Me neither... it tries to sound all slick and American, but ends up sounding really parochial. I hate the way everything (weather, traffic, lotto, even death notices) is "brought to you by" some sponsor or other.

Anyone ever see the episode of the Simpsons where the DJs are replaced with a machine that comes out with random inane phrases? Excellent! Sounds just like WLR.

As for the traffic reports, in fairness I don't listen to WLR, but on AA Roadwatch they're so vague as to be useless. One that cracked me up was when a lorry shed its load out by Belmount. Drivers heading into Waterford were advised to take "an alternative route"... great advice in a city where all the roads leading to our single bridge are choc-a-bloc every morning.

There's a school of thought that says that traffic reports are the work of the roads "lobby"; that by mentioning the same blackspots day in, day out, that eventually they'll be tackled. Sounds a bit too conspiratorial to me, but it's hardly news that the Dunmore Road or Ferrybank DC is bumper-to-bumper at 8.30 now, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

This was a question that troubled me more than it ever should have. I'm just surprised that someone else was thinking along the same lines, fair play Sungod.

I always wondered how on earth he was able to report in from about a half dozen places at once. I ruled out the chopper fairly soon, due to obvious budgetary reasons. I had kind of settled on imagining him on the back of a motor bike though. I guess the moped is the obvious answer.

Cheers all.

• Advertisement

Aye, and the best part of it is that he's scared of mopeds!

i love it, an irrational fear of mopeds " vespaphobia "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

SUNGOD wrote: »
    i love it, an irrational fear of mopeds " vespaphobia "

or lambrettaphobia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Yep, it's a moped he has for getting out and about. Lovely stuff for the early winter mornings getting soaked to the skin :p
    In fairness though, even though he does actually go out and about reporting on traffic (he can be seen at various junctions/roundabouts during the day reporting back via mobile), he may as well stay in bed and rattle off the usual list - heavy inbound on the dunmore road, the cork road, sallypark, ferrybank, blah blah.

And I've actually seen Julian Walton and Matt Keane in the same room at the same time, so that disproves the Batman/Bruce Wayne theory ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

he definately does the traffic reports from the side of the road, ive seen him doing it plenty of times, he lives up the road from me, i can confirm the moped is a little black one !
    he looks like a big oaf on it all the same !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

yeah he phones in the reports from his mobile longside that garrage near the end of bunkers hill every day at around 430 you'll see him there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

paul666 wrote: »
    yeah he phones in the reports from his mobile longside that garrage near the end of bunkers hill every day at around 430 you'll see him there

YEAH STATOIL === Ull catch a glimpse of the superstar there

BROUGHT TO U ALWAYS BY RAPID CABS 858585

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Matts my uncle! So sorry to dissaspoint but yes he does exist and gets out of bed to cruise the mean streets on his moped! :D

Asmodean wrote: »
    Matts my uncle! So sorry to dissaspoint but yes he does exist and gets out of bed to cruise the mean streets on his moped! :D

fair enough could you do me a favour and find out whats the traffic like top of the folly

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

paul666 wrote: »

He's always up around Texaco on Military Rd in the evenings as well.

Mattwatch '07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

SUNGOD wrote: »
    ah the plot thickens , so far we have established that he does exsist but we can neither confirm or deny the exsistance of a moped .maybe julian walton borrows the moped when he is researching "on this day".or maybe matt keane and julian walton are the same person ? have they ever been seen in the same room ?

LMAO :D

I never listened to WLR that much when I was at home, but have heard a number of other local radio stations down through the years and WLR is one of the best in a very very bad bunch I'd say!

The thing that used to annoy me the most about WLR was if you switched on in the middle of a hurling match and you could be listening for about 10 minutes (if you were lucky) before they'd give you the score. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

echosound wrote: »
    And I've actually seen Julian Walton and Matt Keane in the same room at the same time, so that disproves the Batman/Bruce Wayne theory ;)

Were mirrors involved, it could've been a trick of the light

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

did ye hear matt doing the big quiz the other night, he played a request for mike hunt, thats the oldest one in the book, he wasnt too happy when he realised what he had said !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Haha ya serious? brilliant. he's getting a right slagging next time i see him so! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

he wasnt too happy with the name of our table quiz team "sweet jews for jesus" we got a mention the next morning on the radio.

anyone else hate hearing waterford accents on the radio? They sound like they dont belong there.. i cant seem to take the accent seriously when its on the radio or tv!

kano476 wrote: »

anyone else hate hearing waterford accents on the radio? They sound like they dont belong there.. i cant seem to take the accent seriously when its on the radio or tv!

wah ya sayin bout waaterfore accents boy any more that guff off ya boy and i'll warp a tuppence off ya boy,nice one talkcha

Advertisement