Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

On a provisional and been stopped by the Gardai - post your experiences here

Options
  • 30-10-2007 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Ok folks from today all those on First Provisionals, Third, Subsequent Provisionals and yes Learner Permits :eek:are subject to possible prosecution -(I know you always have been but there is a real fear they might carry it out this time)

Were you stopped by the Gardai?

Did they waive you on?
    Did they warn you?
    Did they fine you?

Did you have your L plates on

Mods : If this thread takes off please make it a sticky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

errr...were the new laws not put back until next June ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

in a way yes, but there is a fear the gardai are going to clamp down straight away for people on provisional licenses other than 2nd provisionals and the 1000 euro fine now applies

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

before i passed my test i was stopped 4 times by the gardai, each time for tax and waived on....never had to show my licence.
    I think they should start to look at licences as part of the norm now, or else these new measures will quickly be forgotten.......remember the 1st week of penalty points, how everyone drove within the speed limit?......until it was quickly realised there were no gardai every few k's aiming a speed gun at you like he was Willie O'Dea :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Duiske_Lad wrote: »
    errr...were the new laws not put back until next June ?

Only for those on their second provisional at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

I, too, would love to know if the Gardai will be enforcing this law. The thing is, if the new laws had been introduced, it would have been easy to spot those who weren't abiding by them (person alone with L plates). At least now they have to do spot checks to see what license you have.

Whatever about enforcing the 1st prov law, I would imagine they would heavily fine you if they found you driving with no L plates up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

personally i think its a joke, why should those with a second provisional be treated favourably over those with a first one, i mean if they are driving that long they have no excuse for not at least getting a test and should have passed by now, it really gets me cos im on my first provisional and god knows how long im gonna be waiting, what am i supposed to do with my car, my da doesnt drive and never had, he's blind in one eye for christ sake and can barely see with the other one. im an extremely safer driver havent come close to an accident touch wood and it boils my blood to see so many god awfull drivers with a full licence acting the clown on the roads. do the statistics really show that prov drivers are the ones causing the road deaths??

been stopped a couple of times, just for breath testing and no one has asked about licence, on my own one of the times. i thought the law had stayed the same for those who already have their prov or whatever licence and only affected learner permits, i.e. you were always meant to have a licenced driver with you if you were a learner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    do the statistics really show that prov drivers are the ones causing the road deaths??

Be interesting to know the percentages actually.

Something like 400,000 + provisional drivers. How many drivers on the roads in total and what number of crashes are provisional drivers responsible for?

Well I am in the processs of taking plenty of lessons from an instructor, then getting some practise in with a full license holder for a while. I have already applied for a test (probably going to take few months) and as soon as I feel confident, I will be using my car to get to work while waiting for the test.

I'm not gonna wait for the test as I feel that the experience of driving to work unaccompanied every day will help prime me for the test.

If a Garda stops me I will tell him this and cross my fingers..........!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

j1979p wrote:
    Whatever about enforcing the 1st prov law, I would imagine they would heavily fine you if they found you driving with no L plates up.

€1,000 fine for no L-plates and €1,000 fine for driving unaccompanied.

• Advertisement

thats how i learned.. i drove to work every day for six months.. have to be honest though, i 'learned' in the space of six days, got a bunch of lessons and had the car i bought there waiting for me, so as the instructor advised me, get out and practice i did, after all if you constantly have some one with your not gonna be able to hack it on your own, besides its silly, they aint driving the car for you and ya should know the rules of the road anyway, or most of em.

anyway's a week after my first lesson i was driving to work, apart from the first day, which was a nightmare of sorts, cut out 3 times at the same lights, thats as bad as it got, although unbelieveably a guard appeared from no where and questioned as to why i wasnt moving, he just smiled said "learner??" " take your time and on your way" hopefully they will use that common sense fair approach to everyone with L plates. unless your acting the clown speeding i dont think they will do you, that was what a few people were saying on radio yesterday, which seems a fair enough appraoch, if your not breaking any traffic laws then we should be ok til we get our test in two years time..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

personally i think its a joke, why should those with a second provisional be treated favourably over those with a first one, i mean if they are driving that long they have no excuse for not at least getting a test and should have passed by now, it really gets me cos im on my first provisional and god knows how long im gonna be waiting, what am i supposed to do with my car, my da doesnt drive and never had, he's blind in one eye for christ sake and can barely see with the other one. im an extremely safer driver havent come close to an accident touch wood and it boils my blood to see so many god awfull drivers with a full licence acting the clown on the roads. do the statistics really show that prov drivers are the ones causing the road deaths??
    been stopped a couple of times, just for breath testing and no one has asked about licence, on my own one of the times. i thought the law had stayed the same for those who already have their prov or whatever licence and only affected learner permits, i.e. you were always meant to have a licenced driver with you if you were a learner.
    thats how i learned.. i drove to work every day for six months.. have to be honest though, i 'learned' in the space of six days, got a bunch of lessons and had the car i bought there waiting for me, so as the instructor advised me, get out and practice i did, after all if you constantly have some one with your not gonna be able to hack it on your own, besides its silly, they aint driving the car for you and ya should know the rules of the road anyway, or most of em.

anyway's a week after my first lesson i was driving to work, apart from the first day, which was a nightmare of sorts, cut out 3 times at the same lights, thats as bad as it got, although unbelieveably a guard appeared from no where and questioned as to why i wasnt moving, he just smiled said "learner??" " take your time and on your way" hopefully they will use that common sense fair approach to everyone with L plates. unless your acting the clown speeding i dont think they will do you, that was what a few people were saying on radio yesterday, which seems a fair enough appraoch, if your not breaking any traffic laws then we should be ok til we get our test in two years time..

givyjoe81 - please use upper case letters when appropriate. This ain't bebo! ;)

Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

My first provisional is due to expire on 17th November. Applied for a test in Cork in February and recently got a date for December. Luckily I was able to change this for a date in Dublin on 14th November... no lessons taken though so I better get practising!

On a practical note, I've been driving daily for 18 months on a first provisional. I've been stopped at routine checkpoints three times for tax and insurance checks; I've never been asked to produce a licence (or never been randomly breath tested).

I wonder will learner drivers be more or less likely to have L plates up when driving alone now, perhaps thinking L plates might attract the attention of the Gardai and be more likely to lead to getting done for driving unaccompanied?

Stark wrote: »
    €1,000 fine for no L-plates and €1,000 fine for driving unaccompanied.

I'm aware of the fines, I just think Gardai will enforce the L plate much more in my opinion. At least I hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

My first provisional is due to expire on 17th November. Applied for a test in Cork in February and recently got a date for December. Luckily I was able to change this for a date in Dublin on 14th November... no lessons taken though so I better get practising!

On a practical note, I've been driving daily for 18 months on a first provisional. I've been stopped at routine checkpoints three times for tax and insurance checks; I've never been asked to produce a licence (or never been randomly breath tested).

I wonder will learner drivers be more or less likely to have L plates up when driving alone now, perhaps thinking L plates might attract the attention of the Gardai and be more likely to lead to getting done for driving unaccompanied?

So the waiting list in Cork is 10 months? I want to cry. I applied for mine in June and if they don't get the waiting list down I'll be finished college before I get my test! Which was the reason for me buying a car in the first place :( I'm in my final year and having my own car means I can stay at college as late as I like in the evening to work... the last bus for where I live leaves at 7.30pm. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I was stopped once on my first provisional when a Guard was checking tax and insurance. He saw the L plates and asked what type of licence I had. When I told him he asked if I knew I wasn't supposed to be driving on my own, and I said I did but I was waiting for my test and he waved me on. That was the only time I saw a checkpoint when on my provisional so I didn't get stopped for it again.

I personally don't think that they will be enforcing the new law for second provisionals any more than they have been enforcing the current laws for first, third, and so on. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Gadgie wrote: »
    I was stopped once on my first provisional when a Guard was checking tax and insurance. He saw the L plates and asked what type of licence I had. When I told him he asked if I knew I wasn't supposed to be driving on my own, and I said I did but I was waiting for my test and he waved me on. That was the only time I saw a checkpoint when on my provisional so I didn't get stopped for it again.

I personally don't think that they will be enforcing the new law for second provisionals any more than they have been enforcing the current laws for first, third, and so on. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

The other crucial question , and the point of this thread is, are they now enforcing the rule for learner permits, first , third and subsequent provisionals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

okcomputer wrote: »
    The other crucial question , and the point of this thread is, are they now enforcing the rule for learner permits, first , third and subsequent provisionals?
    The answer I guess is as was in a cartoon (in the Indo or Mirror?) a few days ago.

(lone L-driver listening to car radio)

New rules for L-drivers - "Uh oh:("
    Must be accompanied.. - "Uhh Ohh:eek:"
    Large fines, points - "UHOh groan:mad:"
    Will be enforced with the same stringency as before - "PHEW!:cool::D"

So same old, same old. If you attracted their attention before then you probably will again, if not then maybe they think your style/ability of driving doesnt warrant too many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

so what is the story ?? can we drive till xmas with no driver with us??? im on my first licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

robdcu wrote: »
    so what is the story ?? can we drive till xmas with no driver with us??? im on my first licence
    No. You never could.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

I really can't see this coming about, I'm on my 1st provisional lisence and personally feel that I learned more about driving when in the car on my own than having someone sitting next to me, obviously u need sum1 to teach u the basics.
    I won't be walking past my car on the cold winter mornings that i've paid a fortune for, to pay for a bus into work everyday. The gardai can stop people for being 1st provisionals but I don't think they'll be able to make a case until the legislation is put in place, which I don't know but I think it's not in yet?
    Applied for my test in April and am still waiting for a day which makes enforcing this new law ridiculous. :mad:

kelly1979 wrote: »
    The gardai can stop people for being 1st provisionals but I don't think they'll be able to make a case until the legislation is put in place, which I don't know but I think it's not in yet?
    Have you ever even read the rules of the road? Drivers on first provisionals have NEVER been allowed to drive on there own. No new legislation is required.

I really don't understand people on 1st provisionals complaining about buying a car and now not being able to drive it without the risk of a 1 or 2 thousand € fine. Seriously. Why would you by something you can't use without breaking the law?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Have you ever even read the rules of the road? Drivers on first provisionals have NEVER been allowed to drive on there own. No new legislation is required.

I really don't understand people on 1st provisionals complaining about buying a car and now not being able to drive it without the risk of a 1 or 2 thousand € fine. Seriously. Why would you by something you can't use without breaking the law?

MrP

when u were on ur 1st provisional, every time u got into the car was it with a fully licensed driver; out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kelly1979 wrote: »
    when u were on ur 1st provisional, every time u got into the car was it with a fully licensed driver; out of interest?
    Mr Pudding learned to drive in Northern Ireland where the accompanied rule is enforced.
    kelly1979 wrote:
    this new law
    You were always required to be accompanied while on a first provisional licence (unless it's in category A,A1,M or W). The only difference now is that the accompanied driver is required to have held a full licence in the relevant category for at least two years.

(kelly1979 - Please read the Charter - TXT SPK is not permitted on any of the Motors Forums and please use upper case when appropriate :)).

fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

yeah but honestly who used to abide this rule , got stopped a few times before and had nothing ever said to me??

Mr Pudding learned to drive in Northern Ireland where the accompanied rule is enforced.
    Also, before I moved south I had no concept of 1st or 2nd or 3rd provisional. You got your provisional license and then you did the test, then you got a full licence. I never met anyone that had more than one provisional licence until I moved south, that said, it might last for 10 years, I don't actually know.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

You don't drive better or worse when you're in the car on your own as opposed to with another driver. You feel that you drive better as you know there is nobody to point out your mistakes and also less pressure on yourself. What is the first thing you do when you make a mistake in any part of life? You look around and when you see that nobody saw you, you feel much better as if "you got away with it". When you see that somebody saw you, you feel a lot different. It's much the same way in a car. Except if there's a blind spot or it was the car's fault or you drive an Alfa (sorry)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

wil wrote: »
    New rules for L-drivers - "Uh oh:("
    Must be accompanied.. - "Uhh Ohh:eek:"
    Large fines, points - "UHOh groan:mad:"
    Will be enforced with the same stringency as before - "PHEW!:cool::D"

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I thought when I heard about it. :D

Advertisement