Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

On a provisional and been stopped by the Gardai - post your experiences here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jmsee

Driving on post 2nd licence last December. Pulled for 100k in 80 zone on way to nct retest. Fined for speeding+penalty points, summonsed for driving unaccompanied, no Ls displayed, no nct displayed (as on way to test centre!!). On the day all but driving unaccompanied struck out. Got €50 fine, consider myself very lucky...

Still think that L drivers are not the cause of all problems on countrys roads. Accidents are fairly heavily dependent on gender (I'm not being sexist, men are just more likely to die or be injured in a car accident particularly those under 26) and men are more likely to pass their test first time so what does the test prove? My ma is happily motoring away on a licence she had to sign for - no test. Not everyone who has a licence is a good driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

jmsee wrote: »
    Still think that L drivers are not the cause of all problems on countrys roads. Accidents are fairly heavily dependent on gender (I'm not being sexist, men are just more likely to die or be injured in a car accident particularly those under 26) and men are more likely to pass their test first time so what does the test prove? My ma is happily motoring away on a licence she had to sign for - no test. Not everyone who has a licence is a good driver.

Of course, you are right. Still, as others have asked before me, would you go to Spain in a plane piloted by someone unqualified to fly? Of course you wouldn't.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Of course, you are right. Still, as others have asked before me, would you go to Spain in a plane piloted by someone unqualified to fly? Of course you wouldn't.

What a fair analogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

MrPudding wrote: »
    Have you ever even read the rules of the road? Drivers on first provisionals have NEVER been allowed to drive on there own. No new legislation is required.

I really don't understand people on 1st provisionals complaining about buying a car and now not being able to drive it without the risk of a 1 or 2 thousand € fine. Seriously. Why would you by something you can't use without breaking the law?

MrP

I dont know how long you are living in the south but seriously, listen carefully, THIS LAW WAS NEVER ENFORCED.. do you get it now?? We all know we werent supposed to do it but we were 'allowed' to.

jmsee wrote: »
    Driving on post 2nd licence last December. Pulled for 100k in 80 zone on way to nct retest. Fined for speeding+penalty points, summonsed for driving unaccompanied, no Ls displayed, no nct displayed (as on way to test centre!!). On the day all but driving unaccompanied struck out. Got €50 fine, consider myself very lucky...

Read this post carefully Mr P.. nails being hit on the head all over the place.. as for the other pilot comment, for christ sake were not flying jumbo jets, would you let a trainee doctor look after you in hospital?? an equally stupid point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    were not flying jumbo jets,

No, you're not piloting jumbo jets, but you are piloting a machine with the potential to kill both the pilot and persons otherwise while unqualified to do so.

Thanks for enlightening me... Oh and i was born on the 3 Nov 2007... Do you honestly believe the current testing system or any testing system in place for drivers takes reckless people off the road. One of my mates is one of the most dangerous drivers i have ever been in a car with, yet passed first time, a typical boy racer so he is. And if i passed tomorrow, would i be better than today? No i wouldnt, it proves absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Thanks for enlightening me... Oh and i was born on the 3 Nov 2007... Do you honestly believe the current testing system or any testing system in place for drivers takes reckless people off the road. One of my mates is one of the most dangerous drivers i have ever been in a car with, yet passed first time, a typical boy racer so he is. And if i passed tomorrow, would i be better than today? No i wouldnt, it proves absolutely nothing.

Yes it does, it proves you are legally competent to drive. You are arguing for the sake of arguing, you will not change this.
    All I can currently see you doing is cluttering decent threads with useless rubbish.

Eh the only rubbish i can see is the pure arrogance with which full licenceholders on here have been responding to prov licence holders concers.These threads are here for people to express their opinions, even yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Eh the only rubbish i can see is the pure arrogance with which full licenceholders on here have been responding to prov licence holders concers.These threads are here for people to express their opinions, even yours.

This thread is to post experiences of being stopped while on a provisional. Not for your opinions on the license system. That is being discussed in the other thread.

• Advertisement

Yes your right, i do apologise, im new to this, still finding my way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

take the local pub in the local village.

bunch of new guys walk in - *stares* *makes jokes* *points and laugh*, new guys either shut up and lay low or else leave after a while.

if they keep coming back every week and mix in, then they become regulars, they've passed the test.

just like provisional -v- fully licensed. If you're green, you're only a young'on and don't know what you're at. If you're pink, you're 'one of us'.

that's the way i see it, speaking from behind my pink tinted glasses :cool:

pretty stupid as everybody goes from green to pink at some stage (bar the cheaters in the amnesty), but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

smemon wrote: »
    pretty stupid as everybody goes from green to pink at some stage (bar the cheaters in the amnesty), but that's the way it is.

Apart from the people who stay on green forever ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apologies for going off-topic folks.

Yes your right, i do apologise, im new to this, still finding my way around.
    givyjoe81 - you've been flogging a dead horse for a week or so now!

You continually state that many Learner Drivers are better than fully licenced Drivers.

OK - forget about cars and for a moment, and think about buses and trucks.

Bus and truck drivers cannot get work without a full licence in the relevant category. No company will employ a bus or truck driver on a provisional licence.

Do they whinge about being on a provisional and not being able to work?

No - they get on with it and accept that they are unemployable until they pass the test.

I'm sure many provisional licenced bus and truck drivers are better than fully licenced drivers but that's life, whether you like it or not. Society is not perfect.

Look you guys dont care cos it doenst affect you simple as, thats ridiculous statement. I give up, talking to a brick wall. You think you have all the answers, im sick wasting my time when other points of view seem to be poison to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Look you guys dont care cos it doenst affect you
    What do you mean 'it doesn't affect' us? I couldn't get a job driving trucks or buses until I had passed the relevant tests.
    givyjoe81 wrote:
    I give up, talking to a brick wall. You think you have all the answers, im sick wasting my time when other points of view seem to be poison to you.
    Pot and kettle come to mind!

What do you mean 'it doesn't affect' us? I couldn't get a job driving trucks or buses until I had passed the relevant tests.

Pot and kettle come to mind!

Eh lads as i keep saying, i dont disagree with trying to sort out the mess but i dont agree with the manner in which they did it, so i do think i can see both sides of the arguement very clearly.

You guys will be glad to hear that i passed a checkpoint the other week after the rules were introduced, and nope, they didnt fine me. Thank god for COMMON SENSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I drove on my own on my first provisional, and I only had my L plates up for a few days when I got my car - there are a lot of dicks out there who like to intimidate anyone they see with L plates on their car.

I was stopped a few times in the year I was doing this - all at checkpoints, never because I was driving badly/doing something illegal. Guard even looked at my licence once and he just waved me on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'm on my first provisional and only problem I have with the pending legislation is that the accompanied driver has to have 2 years experience... thats one law Im gonna break. Makes absolutely no sense to me, so if anyone has been questioned bout this I would be interested to hear how it went

Was driving down the road near Kilmacud LUAS last night, accompanied by a friend with a license for 9 years, doing the speed limit, when a quite impatient non L plate driver driving what looked like a 5 series BMW (couldve been a 3 series - twas all a bit of a blur as he passed) overtook about 7 cars, just missed the oncoming traffic and no doubt scared the living bejaysus out of the Learner driver in front of me whom he cut across to miss them.... and it would seem that this person passed their test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

You guys will be glad to hear that i passed a checkpoint the other week after the rules were introduced, and nope, they didnt fine me. Thank god for COMMON SENSE.

Glad to hear? I Certainly am not , But thanks for the info all the same. Do your test & stop whinging

End of...

mise wrote: »
    I'm on my first provisional and only problem I have with the pending legislation is that the accompanied driver has to have 2 years experience... thats one law Im gonna break. Makes absolutely no sense to me, so if anyone has been questioned bout this I would be interested to hear how it went

Was driving down the road near Kilmacud LUAS last night, accompanied by a friend with a license for 9 years, doing the speed limit, when a quite impatient non L plate driver driving what looked like a 5 series BMW (couldve been a 3 series - twas all a bit of a blur as he passed) overtook about 7 cars, just missed the oncoming traffic and no doubt scared the living bejaysus out of the Learner driver in front of me whom he cut across to miss them.... and it would seem that this person passed their test

Thats the point iv been trying to make til blue in the face, you and the other L drivers driving perfectly safely and competently as most do when as per usual some sap with presumeably a full licence nearly causes a crash cos we're driving too 'slow'. Seen the same in mate's car on M50 last week, no plates and guy weaves between two trucks with no more than a foot space back and front.

Thats the point iv been trying to make til blue in the face, you and the other L drivers driving perfectly safely and competently as most do when as per usual some sap with presumeably a full licence nearly causes a crash cos we're driving too 'slow'. Seen the same in mate's car on M50 last week, no plates and guy weaves between two trucks with no more than a foot space back and front.

In fairness i doubt you can vouch for 400,000 drivers, or can you?? Maybe the guy in the Beamer took his L's down thats what alot of ye seem to be doing

I hope it drives you mad, take a run and jump, whinging my ar se. Il do the test when the gob shi-tes in the RSA are kind enough to sort out waiting list get their act together and open more test centre's not closing them. Dont worry about my driving, just the muppet Full licence drivers who think they're Louis Hamilton.

I really hope your caught, and the book thrown at you, at your head prefably

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

+1

MrP

Bite me so grumpy sap, do us all a favour and stick to the thread and not personal issues with other posters, this thread is for provisional holders to post their experiences, so you take yourself off to your High Horse with the other full licence holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Bite me so grumpy sap, do us all a favour and stick to the thread and not personal issues with other posters, this thread is for provisional holders to post their experiences, so you take yourself off to your High Horse with the other full licence holders.
    A bit sensitive are we? I suppose I would be too if I was unable to pass a really simple test in 9 years....

MrP

I've said what i needed to say. Your maturity level leaves alot to be desired.

MrPudding wrote: »
    A bit sensitive are we? I suppose I would be too if I was unable to pass a really simple test in 9 years....

MrP

Eh nine years?? Eh i think you need to pay more attention mate, you need a provisional licence to be able to sit your test no? Iv only had mine six months, 9 Years i think not.. Maybe in this backward country you could sit the test without a licence but you cant get lessons without a provisional. Get your facts right.

• Advertisement

I just think hes refering to your age ie 81 which would make you 26 and 17 is the age you can start driving, thats just a guess mind you.

26 - 9 = 17

Advertisement