Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

On a provisional and been stopped by the Gardai - post your experiences here

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    So what if you can?! how many people posted this?! Still no way of knowing how many actually do it, just cos a few have posted saying so and i might add that they are fools for doing so,because if they are stopped i believe they will be fined, i have been through a couple of checkpoints with L plates up and havent been fined or even questioned.

Plenty of people...Just as well your on your second provisional then..

. Also I take it your implying that your mates are bad drivers :rolleyes:

No not at all, although one of them is a shockingly poor driver (There's live beyond 3rd gear)
    Seriously enough of this L drivers are rubbish crap, its just ridiculous at this stage, at least i am willing to admit that there are of course crap L drivers out there, but they are not in the majority and as i have stated and the figures would seem to back up

Figures can prove anything, they are not a solid base. E.g what if 1 learner does 1000 miles a year and John the Van Driver does 60,000 a year the odds are stacked against John Straight away.
    there are plenty of sh-it-e full licence holders too, are taxi drivers not all full licence holders, experienced ones at that :D..

Yeah there are plenty and i meet them regulary. Taximen have done their test, they've more of a right to be on a public road then you have.
    Its just a bit silly that everytime someone complains of a thick on the roads without L plates up, the reaction seems to be "oh that must a learner with plates down..",

Never said that, but in fairness i'd say there's a good solid number out there without the 'L's or ttrying to hide them (Cut off the white part)
    sorry but that's just crap, As I mentioned earlier i noted the guys that i met on the roads were highly likely to be full licence holders and not a learner.

How would you know? Provisonal can drive any car they want and you can apply for a provisonal at any age.
    Another point i would mention is that how do you know that all the dodgy L plate drivers you see aren't shared owners? i.e. sharing with a learner but a full licence holder themselves?

WTF??
    For the love of god can we keep it to the thread please!! And yes i know i went off, but just to answer a point!

Agreed
    Rhiannon14 wrote: »
    What is the big deal with taking a stinking road test in this country?

X2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

For the love of god, cop yourself on, if i am a second provisional driver then how does a taxi man have more of a right to be on the road than me?! Didnt see anywhere in any legislation that full licence holders or taxi men have any special privelages over 2nd prov holders?! In case you didnt hear the law for second provisionals has been defferred til june. So 3 of your mates are good drivers then? So what on earth is your point with regard to learners?! I would like to point out for the final time, this forum is titled 'Learning to drive', not bitch and moan about Learners, so seriously give it a rest.

Stats can be used to prove anything?! As opposed to opinions being able to prove what exactly? Sorry what is a solid base if you cant use FACTS.. Your 'opinion' on the odd's being stacked against the full licence holder is also flawed, just think of the provisional licence holder who lives in cork or some other county where more driving time is required than somewhere like dublin(obviously i mean rural areas of any county), a provisional holder could easily drive more.

Oh and dont know about your car, but mine can take 3rd gear up to the speed limit quite comfortably, not that i spend the whole time in it.

I'm only guessing, as i thought of doing it myself, correction i actually thought you could buy L plates like this, didnt think anyone would bother cutting bits off. But cutting off the white part is simply to provide less of an obstruction out your window, not much of a diff but still, personally i wouldnt say its to hide them, but thats just my opinion.

What i was tryin to say with shared cars is, just because there are L plates up, doesnt mean that its a learner behind the wheel, i.e. how many couples share a car, with one a learner and the other not.

And regarding age etc doesnt tell if they are a full licence holder or not, well no it doesnt but the same can be said of those who are not displaying plates, how do you know unless you see their licence, just because your mates do it and some people have admitted to it and boards, it doesnt represent the L driver population as a whole, not even close.

With this one up man ship crap and backing each other up sh -it (X2), grow up and back to my original point, cop yourself on. If you bother to read my points or just not jump to conclusions or make assumptions about me, then you and the other nice chap will know that i don't have any problem with doing a test, none at all and as i have stated already, doing it early december. After all it's in my interest to do it!! Cheaper insurance etc.

For the love of god, cop yourself on, if i am a second provisional driver then how does a taxi man have more of a right to be on the road than me?! So 3 of your mates are good drivers then? So what on earth is your point with regard to learners?! I would like to point out for the final time, this forum is titled 'Learning to drive', not bitch and moan about Learners, so seriously give it a rest.

Stats can be used to prove anything?! As opposed to opinions being able to prove what exactly? Sorry what is a solid base if you cant use FACTS..

Oh and dont know about your car, but mine can take 3rd gear up to the speed limit quite comfortably, not that i spend the whole time in it.

I'm only guessing, as i thought of doing it myself, correction i actually thought you could buy L plates like this, didnt think anyone would bother cutting bits off. But cutting off the white part is simply to provide less of an obstruction out your window, not much of a diff but still, personally i wouldnt say its to hide them, but thats just my opinion.

What i was tryin to say with shared cars is, just because there are L plates up, doesnt mean that its a learner behind the wheel, i.e. how many couples share a car, with one a learner and the other not.

And regarding age etc doesnt tell if they are a full licence holder or not, well no it doesnt but the same can be said of those who are not displaying plates, how do you know unless you see their licence, just because your mates do it and some people have admitted to it and boards, it doesnt represent the L driver population as a whole, not even close.

With this one up man ship crap and backing each other up sh -it (X2), grow up and back to my original point, cop yourself on. If you bother to read my points or just not jump to conclusions or make assumptions about me, then you and the other nice chap will know that i don't have any problem with doing a test, none at all and as i have stated already, doing it early december. After all it's in my interest to do it!! Cheaper insurance etc.

I give up.:rolleyes: Best of luck, obviously as your facts state when you pass your test in December , you'll become a bad driver then like the rest of us :rolleyes:

Oh my christ, i have heard about some people having selective hearing, but i didnt think it applied to reading also.. Do me a favour and go through my posts and find where it says that all full licence holders are bad drivers hmm, you'll be looking for a long time.. Seriously.. you give up?! i have clearly stated time and time again, there are good and bad drivers, whether they be Full of Prov licence holders, simple as.. I am not blinded by the notion that this little cert you get when you pass a 'basic' test (as so many other enlightened Full licence holders on here have stated), means your now suddenly a wonderful driver and can sit high up on your perch judging those who are still in the queue for their test.

You prob should give up, with corkers such as the taxi men gag.:rolleyes::eek::mad::(:):D:rolleyes:

LOL

zzz.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

To be honest neither of ye are making much sense, all you are doing is stating what each of you believe to be fact and backing it up with anecdotal evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

givyjoe81 wrote:
    So 3 of your mates are good drivers then? So what on earth is your point with regard to learners?!

The point of the test is that her 3 good driver friends would get licenses deeming them fit to drive and her ****e driver friend would be forced to drive supervised. However in current day Ireland, making the ****e driver have supervision and be forced to improve their skills in order to obtain a full license would be seen as a violation of civil rights or somesuch.

Gauge wrote: »
    To be honest neither of ye are making much sense, all you are doing is stating what each of you believe to be fact and backing it up with anecdotal evidence.

All im doing is defendint provisional drivers as we not the kamikaze drivers that people like this guy seem to think we are, then we have the one below you who thinks, as other's do, that i have a problem with doing a driving test, I DONT, i want to do it, i want cheaper insurance and i dont want the possibility of being fined a grand for not having someone to sit beside me.

I stated just one fact, actually just a number of figures, being the only stats that we have, i dont really see how im not making sense, in fact more common sense that anything.

Now please everyone including me, just keep it to the thread, this is a forum for learning to drive, the thread is as stated so lets stay relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

i cant believe i read 7 pages of this shíte in hopes to find out about learners being pulled and the potential fines etc.

Can we rename this topic to "4 pages of hormonal people going at it with their licenses"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

What the hell, is the sexism really necessary? What's your problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Gauge wrote: »
    What the hell, is the sexism really necessary? What's your problem?

i thought my problem was apparant.

and apologies for the sexist comment, ill retract it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LDriver

smemon wrote: »
    bar the cheaters in the amnesty
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluetoffee

I didnt have the luxury of having someone to drive with me when I had my 1st prov, I just applied, let it expire, and got my car when my second started, funny really that I was perfectly entitled to drive on my own without ever having set foot in a car before, whereas someone on a 1st driving for a year with vaster experience than me, couldnt!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Been driving a week now in my own car, have had my permit since febuary and about 6-7 lessons before actually owning a car. I have only ever been stopped once at a checkpoint, I was on my own with L plates, he just looked at the tax and insurence and waved me on.

Im driving what you would class a boy racer car by looks but everything else standard and Im not stupid in the car so I dont attract much attention. And I have driven behind, infront and past many squad cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

depends on the garda to whether there strict or not etc..waiting to do my test second time to do it failed on observation last time..be such a relief to have the full licence

Advertisement