Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qft +1

• 30-10-2007 2:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭

There has been some discussion on this in the Feedback sticky here and in the Feedback forum. I want to gauge who sees it as a problem, so I'll throw it out here:

The practice of quoting another user and simply posting "QFT" or "+1" in threads:
    Does it bother you?
    Why? Should moderators help get oppress rid of it?

quick quote+short reply. Get rid of it? 96 votes

Yes; get rid of it
    0% 0 votes
    No, you have little to worry about.
    39% 38 votes
    Atari jaguar +1
    60% 58 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Doesn't bother me. Could be that they just agree with the OP and have no further comment to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'll throw forward some arguments FOR getting rid of it (Devil's advocate and all that):
    - it slows down reading (It's additional posts and it may mean extra page or two in longer threads which can be slow to load if Boards.ie is on a go-slow.)
    - stamping it out should encourage posters to add something additional to the arguement.
    - it's bumping older threads without adding anything new.

I'll throw forward some arguments AGAINST getting rid of it:

- It's only an extra few seconds that you're kinda wasting anyway.
    - Is it really feasible to enforce it?
    - It's effort to type more than a few letters. Mneh.
    - Where does it stop? What if I quote and add "I couldn't agree more" - isn't this the same thing?
    |->to build on this thought: where does one draw the line and say that something substantial has been added to the arguement?

I raised the question because of a number of complaints in threads and I'm not sure how many have a problem with it. I have no strong feelings either way. The moderators will remain as objective as possible and work from your feedback. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I think qft by itself is crap but if someone says qft and says why they are of this belief that would be much more acceptable imo.
    I am still learning all these goddamn internet abbreviations. What is IIRC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

+1 etc is good for semi-pointless threads where I couldn't be arsed posting a long winded reply but agree with something that has been previously said. If later on the topic develops and I have more of an opinion then I'll post something more substantial.

The reasons given above aren't enough for me to support getting rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Jigsaw wrote: »
    I think qft by itself is crap but if someone says qft and says why they are of this belief that would be much more acceptable imo.
    I am still learning all these goddamn internet abbreviations. What is IIRC?

If I Recall Correctly it's...uh... If I Recall(/Remember) Correctly
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=iirc - so 'tis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't think QFT and +1 posts have taken over. I've never found it a problem. They are easy to zoom past when reading.

It also allows you to get the general consensus on the topic at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

If I had it my way, I'd ban anyone who used shitty comments like "QFT" and "1+" etc. Signifying that you agree with something, and contributing nothing else to the discussion is the single biggest act of faggotry that exists on a message board.

Binomate wrote: »
    If I had it my way, I'd ban anyone who used shitty comments like "QFT" and "1+" etc. Signifying that you agree with something, and contributing nothing else to the discussion is the single biggest act of faggotry that exists on a message board.

What about people who just say 'dublin forum tbh' etc. :p

Those kinds of posts are semi-usefull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Conor108 wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me. Could be that they just agree with the OP and have no further comment to make.

qft

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote: »
    qft

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm not inclined to do it that much, but occasionally if someone has summed up my point of view succinctly and spot on earlier in the thread, I may quote it and just say "QFT" or "Nail / head!" ... and given that on the odd occasion that I have got seriously riled up about something on Boards, I have been known to churn out multiple paragraphs of turgid prose, the argument could be made that on such occasions much time, space and boredom is saved! :D

People who consistently drag up old dead threads and bump them with "+1" or "QFT" probably need to be forced to fap with Deep Heat while being whipped with nettles all right * ... but I don't see that happening that often, tbh?

* /me nominates Karoma as Official Whipper with Nettles, and The-Rigger as Official Applier of Deep Heat

EDIT: ... and Mordeth as the subject of the first test trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and id ban anyone who uses homophobic terms tbh.

the +1 and qtf brigade dont actually bother me. takes less than a half a second to skim over and move on.
    i also dont think theres anything wrong with showing that you agree or support someones argument.
    and i also think its unenforceable. who's to say what is or isnt a substantial. this isnt the philosophy forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I don't give two monkeys if random people agree with each other. No one does. We do not need to know if you agree with position X if you have nothing further to add.

Do not reply for the sake of replying you vapid spamming fuckheads.

That is all.

(Uhm, yeah, but a ban just wouldn't work. Besides, it's useful for highlighting morons.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's little or no content and the post is just simply to increases that person's post count.

yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Atari Jaguar...

that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Imo its alright in a thread such as 'Film of the week' ,'Album of the week', etc. But when it crosses over into other threads, with people not even giving reasons for opinions, just staying '+1' , same as last, that is begins to piss me off.

Caliden wrote: »
    It's little or no content and the post is just simply to increases that person's post count.

How about scrapping post counts then?
    Moriarty wrote: »
    I don't give two monkeys if random people agree with each other. No one does. We do not need to know if you agree with position X if you have nothing further to add.

Do not reply for the sake of replying you vapid spamming fuckheads.

That is all.

(Uhm, yeah, but a ban just wouldn't work. Besides, it's useful for highlighting morons.)

-1 ;)

More people seem angry this week than usual. Perhaps it's because of the evenings getting shorter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What about people who just say 'dublin forum tbh' etc. :p

I'm not sure why, but this made me lol.

The aul' +1 is useful in a sense. Take the following example:

PI, someone has a for/against type, wants opinions, yada yada.

One person (let's face it, Marksie) contributes with a perfect post for let's say, the 'for' argument. Because it's perfect, nobody else has anything to contribute.

But then 10 people reply opposing the previous argument.
    OP might see 10 against 1 and that's all.

So +1's could help there.

Ah whatever, yore ma qft'd my +1 and so on...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

SumGuy wrote: »
    I'm not sure why, but this made me lol.

The aul' +1 is useful in a sense. Take the following example:

PI, someone has a for/against type, wants opinions, yada yada.

One person (let's face it, Marksie) contributes with a perfect post for let's say, the 'for' argument. Because it's perfect, nobody else has anything to contribute.

But then 10 people reply opposing the previous argument.
    OP might see 10 against 1 and that's all.

So +1's could help there.

Ah whatever, yore ma qft'd my +1 and so on...

I think Karoma is just looking for opinions on it's use in After Hours.

I don't mind qft, +1 and all the rest. Qft and all the other three letter acronyms really only appear a lot in threads about three letter acronyms. In threads like that I find they can be quite funny. e.g.
    What the hell does qft mean?
    qft

In other threads they don't bother me in the slightest. It's something I just glance over without paying much attention to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The mood of AH is mostly fun and free flowing. Why change something that has worked for years?

I'm going to start replying to every "+1" post I see outside this thread from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

qft is fine imo, the +1 is spam, though usually reserved for those topics that are gonna be locked anyway. I think any outside use of the +1, ie not paired with ibtl, should be banned. :p

boils my blood seeing first in threads. Thankfully, we dont get that, afaik anyway.

I'm going to start replying to every "+1" post I see outside this thread from now on.

And what are you going to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

It adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. Ban it, it's completely retarded and anyone who uses is a damn retard.

edit: No doubt some comic genius will quote this with something like QFT or +1. Cant wait

It adds absolutely nothing to the discussion. Ban it, it's completely retarded and anyone who uses is a damn retard.

wait for it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's a load of crap, it doesn't contribute at all. It's sheer laziness. There is no content to it. It doesn't require any effort on the part of the poster.

And what are you going to say?
    I have no idea, but it will be to try and engage them in a discussion that they obviously don't want to be in since they simply can't be arsed writing a reply with any content to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I have no problem with these practices. As has been said, when something has been said already, does re-typing it really add any more than 'qft'? Sometimes it is necessary for reinforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Whilst I have no real problem with either QFT or +1, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing serial abusers of said 'phrases' getting a rap on the knuckles for their laziness.

I might start a response with one of the above, but I'd always try to back it up with an anicdote or opinion etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

How about scrapping post counts then?

-1 ;)

Darn I'm gonna have to start staying up 24 hours a day, beaten to it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Anyways what do people use QFT for,is it "quote for truthfulness" so that people can't edit their past posts as there is a quoted version or is it just a short posting to signify agreement, if its a case of both should we not have another TLA for "agreeing with you?" ie +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Qft++

ibtl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think its fine. If you have made a post and people are arguing against it, it is nice to see others agree with you.

Me +1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

edit: No doubt some comic genius will quote this with something like QFT or +1. Cant wait

QFT and a +1 for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm going to atari jaguar this. saw the discussion in feedback and was thinking that sometimes a "qft" or "+1" helps someones argument along. in real conversation if you agree with someone you say "yeah", "exactly" etc. qft and +1 are the same thing, but in internetland.

plus it can add your voice (or text) to an argument when someone already made the point you wanted to make.

sometimes people can take the piss with it (i.e. clearly getting postcount++) but for the most part around these parts it's done in moderation.

sure if you give a warning or infraction for someone using QFT here no doubt some little barrister will give the argument that it's all well and good to use it when someones proposing a forum idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i believe that qft is more than often used sarcastically, and can often be funny, though not always.
    +1 is only really useful if you're giving support for a new forum. using it in any old thread is lazy.

postcount++

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

*poop*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That would increase your intellectual input significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Sometimes someone has managed to phrase a popular opinion very well & it wouldn't make sense to have 7 people that agree with that point write it in a slightly different way just for the sake of not saying "I agree with them ^".

On the other hand, some do seem to use it to up their post count & +1 somebody else's funny comment rather than think up one of their own - not sure you would be able to moderate between the two, so I think it should stay in all circumstances. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Get rid of embedded youtube files first. They make me cry like a big gurls bra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Will someone explain Atari Jaguar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you're arguing with someone and everyone uses your last post as a +1 or QFT it means you're winning the argument, the converse could also be used, for example:
    Karoma wrote: »
    There has been some discussion on this in the Feedback sticky here and in the Feedback forum. I want to gauge who sees it as a problem, so I'll throw it out here:

The practice of quoting another user and simply posting "QFT" or "+1" in threads:
    Does it bother you?
    Why? Should moderators help get oppress rid of it?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Will someone explain Atari Jaguar?

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Atari_jaguar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i'm going to atari jaguar this. saw the discussion in feedback and was thinking that sometimes a "qft" or "+1" helps someones argument along. in real conversation if you agree with someone you say "yeah", "exactly" etc. qft and +1 are the same thing, but in internetland.

plus it can add your voice (or text) to an argument when someone already made the point you wanted to make.

I agree with projectmayhem.

Oops i mean, +1 and QFT!

tbh, even if you ditch +1 etc, it will soon be replaced by something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Personally I find them blatant attempts at increasing one's e-penis but let's face it, it's probably easier to put up with the fvcktards posting '+1' or 'QFT' than having to read them whine about being banned for doing so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

On another board I read, there's an option to "thank" a person for a post they made.

When you click that button on their post (it's next to the Quote button) your name appears under their post along with anyone else who has done the same. That would be a good way to show that you agree with what they are saying, without making a whole new posting with just "+1" or "qft" in it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't even know what qft means and I don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement