Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Housing Estate Speed Limit & Using Bus Lane

Options
  • 30-10-2007 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

My test is coming up in a couple of weeks, so am doing some pre test lessons. Instructor faulted me for driving too slowly in a Housing Estate. I was trying to stay at 30kph, but he said I should travel at 50kph. Is this right? It didn't sound right to me, but he said I would be faulted for it.

Also, at one point I stopped at a red light with approx 8 cars in front of me and a bus lane ont he left. He wanted me to turn left and said that its okay to use the bus lane for a couple of meters to get to the left turning lane as this improves traffic flow. This makes sense, but he said that the Gards can pull you over for this, but testers generally see it as "intelligent driving". Is this right?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you actually read the rules of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

kbannon wrote: »
    Have you actually read the rules of the road?

Yes, but I can't see anything that relates specifically to using a bus lane, during its hours, to make a left turn. If its in there I can't see it.

With the speed limits I know that it states the limit in a built up area is 50kph, but thought that this was changed to 30kph for Housing Estates. Just wanted to check if this was changed since the latest Rule of the Road were published.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Dont quote me on this but im pretty sure it is 30kph in Housing estates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I can't remember the exact wording, but doesn't it say that you are not allowed to drive in a bus lane. it does not say you cannot drive in a bus lane except if you are turning left.

You could try it in the test and you may or may not get marked, it depends on the tester. but if you don't do it you definitly won't get a mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

dancor wrote: »

Unless there's a sign up specifically to say otherwise, 50km/h is the limit in built up areas. This includes housing estates.

Of course, that doesn't mean you have to drive at 50 regardless. If there's kids playing in the area, or the road is narrow with cars parked on both sides, you'd want to be going slower. As usual, you need to use your judgement and dive at an appropriate speed for the situation.

• Advertisement

dancor wrote: »

It gives 50kph as the lowest limit in the ROTR, so I suppose if there are no signs saying otherwise, I can stick to that.
    Noelie wrote: »
    I can't remember the exact wording, but doesn't it say that you are not allowed to drive in a bus lane. it does not say you cannot drive in a bus lane except if you are turning left.

You could try it in the test and you may or may not get marked, it depends on the tester. but if you don't do it you definitly won't get a mark.

The instructor said that they might penalise you if you are stuck in traffic, but could use the bus lane to keep moving, as they are on a tight schedule! I'll quiz him a bit more on my next lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The speed limit is 50kph in housing limits, but use discretion. It's a limit, not a target. Now excuse me while I go home and shower after saying that :) If it's all clear, do 50. If there are parked cars everywhere for kids to pop out of, drive at a speed that will allow you to stop if one does suddenly emerge.

The bus lane thing: I was told by my instructor that it's better to enter the bus lane, than wait for it to fill up with other sheep and end up blocking the traffic in your lane trying to get into it when the lights go green. Personally I disagree strongly with this "okay to enter if turning left" faux-rule as the bus lane is for buses, not for cutting slower traffic off as many people seem to use it, and if a Garda catches you in the bus lane, you will get a fine regardless of your intentions. From what I can tell though, the testers don't automatically mark you down for entering the bus lane early when turning left.
    Mizu_Ger wrote:
    The instructor said that they might penalise you if you are stuck in traffic, but could use the bus lane to keep moving, as they are on a tight schedule! I'll quiz him a bit more on my next lesson.

Tight schedule or not, they can't penalise you for obeying the law. Bending the rules to get places faster is what leads to all the aggressive driving in the city.

Stark wrote: »
    Tight schedule or not, they can't penalise you for obeying the law. Bending the rules to get places faster is what leads to all the aggressive driving in the city.

This is what I am thinking myself if I do end up in this situation during the test. I don't want to take any chances!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Stark wrote: »
    The speed limit is 50kph in housing limits, but use discretion. It's a limit, not a target. Now excuse me while I go home and shower after saying that :) If it's all clear, do 50. If there are parked cars everywhere for kids to pop out of, drive at a speed that will allow you to stop if one does suddenly emerge.

The bus lane thing: I was told by my instructor that it's better to enter the bus lane, than wait for it to fill up with other sheep and end up blocking the traffic in your lane trying to get into it when the lights go green. Personally I disagree strongly with this "okay to enter if turning left" faux-rule as the bus lane is for buses, not for cutting slower traffic off as many people seem to use it, and if a Garda catches you in the bus lane, you will get a fine regardless of your intentions. From what I can tell though, the testers don't automatically mark you down for entering the bus lane early when turning left.

The bus lane thing sounds like a very greay area.
    I've never noticed the Gardai pulling people up on it anywhere near traffic lights.
    They tend to stop people on a stretch of road nowhere near traffic lights.
    I'd use a buslane if the continuous white line is broken and it's near traffic lights and theres a sign saying 'when queueing use both lanes'

M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mathie wrote: »
    I'd use a buslane if the continuous white line is broken and it's near traffic lights and theres a sign saying 'when queueing use both lanes'

M

Well in that case it would be legal to use it. Most roads have the bus lane ending a few hundred metres before the traffic lights, or else there'd be a section of broken white line and an arrow indicating where it's acceptable for cars to enter if they're turning left. It's legal to enter after this point, illegal to enter before this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

mathie wrote: »
    I've never noticed the Gardai pulling people up on it anywhere near traffic lights.
    M

I see it all the time near the traffic lights on the N2 nearing Hart's Corner. Just what the doctor ordered when you were stuck for 20 minutes in traffic: a guy that passed you in the bus lane a few minutes earlier handing over his papers after being pulled over. Serves him right. Gardai should do it more often.

Advertisement