Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Instructor Reccomendation - Cork city

Options
  • 30-10-2007 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Does anyone have any personal reccommendations for a driving instructor in Cork city?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Hiya,

I used a guy called Leo Hennessy - he was brilliant. Granted, I had been driving for about 3 years before I did my test but I got about 5 or 6 lessons from him which really helped set me on the right track. Sorry I don't have his number handy but he should be in the phone book. Think he's from Blarney direction.
    He used to be a driving tester (?) himself and knows all the ins and outs.
    The afternoon of my test we had arranged the pre-test lesson an hour before my test was scheduled. He had been scoping out what testers were doing which routes and then took me on the exact same route that my tester asked me to do during my test just afterwards- magic! Passed first time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Tom McGrath. He's probably in the phone book. Adopts the 'no bull****' stance. I'd been driving for years beforehand (and had my full A license for years before I did my car test) but it was good to get the slap on the wrist and remove all the bad habits before sitting the test

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Seamus Quinlan Bishopstown.Ex Garda Top Class.Dont forget the other test centres in the county if the city test centre causes problems.Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Cheers for those, its's for a friend and her she's already got a date for her test in the city next month so I don't think she'll be giving it up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey, I got lessons off Frank Murphy. I was recommended to him on these boards over a year ago. He's VERY good. Very calm, very good at picking up on your bad habits, very professional. Really couldn't ask for a better instructor. He's quite busy though, you usually need to book a week in advance to get a lesson with him. I've recommended him to some of my friends before and they all think he's a fantastic instructor.
    I was certain he was listed on the ISM site but I can't find him there now. I have his number which I'll pm on to you now.

Bacchus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Bacchus wrote: »
    Hey, I got lessons off Frank Murphy. I was recommended to him on these boards over a year ago. He's VERY good. Very calm, very good at picking up on your bad habits, very professional. Really couldn't ask for a better instructor. He's quite busy though, you usually need to book a week in advance to get a lesson with him. I've recommended him to some of my friends before and they all think he's a fantastic instructor.
    I was certain he was listed on the ISM site but I can't find him there now. I have his number which I'll pm on to you now.

Bacchus

hey Bacchus, any chance of passing it onto me as well. My wife's test is coming up soon, and if she fails, no doubt she'll blame my bad habits !! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 houli

Hi Guys

I recently was recommended Des from Top Gear School of motoring,

Got a few lessons pre-tests before my test, passed with flying colours and I must say his instruction was excellent. Nice guy and very down to earth, I'd highly recommend him.

Check out the website www.drivingschoolcork.com for no. email etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Stop it, he's not shilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChunkyManSkinny

Do ye know a good minibus (D1) instructor?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChunkyManSkinny

Thank you muchly!
    I want to do it asap as i have been procrastinating (sp?) about it and i need it to apply for an ambulance service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mur3000

Bacchus wrote: »

Bacchus
    Hey
    could you possibly pm me franks murphys number as well as i seem to have lost it and need to get lessons for a test coming up

Thanks in advance
    mur

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

houli wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I recently was recommended Des from Top Gear School of motoring,

Got a few lessons pre-tests before my test, passed with flying colours and I must say his instruction was excellent. Nice guy and very down to earth, I'd highly recommend him.

Check out the website www.drivingschoolcork.com for no. email etc.
    Have also heard good things about Des .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I know of a fella who does it in Cork City & further a field. His name is Mick & his mobile is available via PM. He is based in the Mayfield area. Heard good recommendations from friends of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sorry man. I pulled that mobile because its better to keep it via PM, particularly when we don't know who the guy is.

-edit: Mick. Leading folk astray about your background in order to drum up business will result in a ban from this site.

Let me know via PM if you want to advertise honestly, and I'll put you in touch with the right people, who can sort you out with banner ads etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

i got lessons from a guy called cyril o brien all my friends and me passed our tests with flying colours. he also is one who takes the no bull approach but he is very good. pm me if you want his mobile. oh he is also very reasonable with regards to money as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bert174

Did my test in Cork. The guy was writing before I engaged the gears, never spoke during the test, I was freaked out and failed.

I next did it in Skibbereen, after a local lesson with Gene O'Donovan. Gene had me relaxed, but when the tester sat in the car and behaved like a regular passenger, I was on the pigsback and passed easily.

Advertisement