Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House, Old connection, Options?

Options
  • 30-10-2007 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently moved into a new house (rented), and have been having serious problems trying to get broadband connected. So looking for some advice.

Firstly we tried to get the broadband through NTL as they already had TV connection in the house. But they informed me that broadband wasn't available for our house (even though the houses either side of us have or at least are wired for NTL broadband) as it was a broadband blackspot for NTL. Now I'm only living in Beaumont so its hardly the back of beyonds.

So then I decided to go down the phone line route but when I rang eircom they said another provider currently had the line into our house so there was nothing they could do. After a bit of investigation and 60 million phone calls we eventually managed to track down the provider, name of the previous tenant who had the account and the phone number. BT (the provider) have refused to cancel the account without authorization from the previous tenant, even though the phone line to our house is in-active for 6 months and the tenant has transferred that number to his new accommodation.

They want us to send in legal documentation to show that we are the current tenants of the house, this they say will take 3 or 4 weeks to process and then once that has been done it will take another 6-10 weeks to get the line reconnected. They are acting as if they don't want our custom at all.

I'm pretty fed up with it now at this stage. I was just wondering would going down the wireless route, such as Irish Broadband or Digiweb, be a waste of time. How stable and fast are these connections? Do they provide anywhere near the advertised speeds and I've heard before about some these providers blocking torrents and port shaping?

I kinda need to get connected back online asap, so just wondering if people had any advice?

Thanks

Advertisement