Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Alone?

Options
  • 30-10-2007 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

What are people's views on heading out surfing alone?

When I head home to the West for weekends, I usually don't have anyone to head out with me, so I normally stay near shore and hope I don't drown.

It's a popular sandy beach and I've only been surfing for a few months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭McFearless

im just gettin into surfing myself,none of my mates are into it so il prob end up goin at it alone,could it really be so dangerous?!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

Hey guys I'm an ex beach life guard and would say the following on surfing "alone".

When I head home to the West for weekends, I usually don't have anyone to head out with me, so I normally stay near shore and hope I don't drown.

It's a popular sandy beach and I've only been surfing for a few months.

There is a risk with any water activities and we must always do our best to minimise that risk to levels that we find acceptable.

Surfing alone, in the true sense of the word is foolhardy at best and plain stupid at worst. By alone i mean hitting a beach with no one else in the water, beach etc. You could bang your head on a wipe out, cramp up, get into a rip you can't get out of etc...... no one there, well it's not looking real good.

It's always best to go with a friend but of course this isn't always possible. In this scenario i would advise the following, tell someone you're going and when you're expecting to be back and shoot them a text. Then if you do get into trouble and for example can't get back to shore due to a rip or something that someone will know you're out there and get the help you need. Surf close (without getting in anyones way) to other surfers and make sure someone sees you getting in. This is even more important as you don't have much experience.
    im just gettin into surfing myself,none of my mates are into it so il prob end up goin at it alone,could it really be so dangerous?!

Is surfing dangerous? For sure, even professional surfers (Mark Fou being a famous if sad example) drown when things go seriously wrong (in admittedly scary conditions). We as surfers should never be complacent and always watch out for each other. If you approach it sensibly it's well worth the risk. You're both new to the sport so good luck and keep it up, the first year can be both very exciting and frustrating at times but always worth it. Always protect your head and face in a wipe out using your arms and come up once you feel the leash tug on your leg, this means your board is at least the length of the leash prob 7ft away from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

paulie.walnuts got it spot on above.

I surf alone a fair bit.....due to having no friends who surf and having to go very early in the morning as I've to be home for breakfast to mind the kids at the weekends. I've a fair few years experience now and would be pretty fit. I stick to the following rules when I'm out alone.

a) Never go out to a break I'm not familiar with
    b) Never surf reefs or anywhere with rocks alone
    c) Only go out in clean conditions (i find messy conditions are the worst for getting caught in rips
    d) Keep it under 4 feet tops
    e) Do go for any waves that look semi-makeable
    f) Get out when I'm starting to get tired
    g) Lastly but probably most important - know your limits and stay well on the safe side of them.

That said......surfing alone probably isn't the brightest thing to be doing but for me sometimes it's a toss up between that and not getting a surf in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I surf alone regularly, I only ever go into familiar beachbreak though. And there are other surfers around 99% of the time. I reckon its fine to go in alone when conditions are right, when you know what you're doing etc, as long as some common sense is applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Most of it has been said already but you will have the feeing of invincibility until the day you get caught in a bad rip (and it will happen). That day will truly test your limits and you do not want to do it alone.
    Know the break, know the conditions and know your capabilities and you should always be ok, regardless of who you are with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Rodent

If your unsure but still want to get in, phone/text a friend and tell them were you are and when you plan to get out and contact them when you do...

Also very little difference between one or two people in the water, if your surfing with someone and get caught in a rip, both of you are likely to get carried away :eek:

So best thing to do is learn up on reading currents and rips in the water and always have land markers as bearings in case you start to drift away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Consider yourself lucky if you're ever anywhere that you're the only one out!:D:D

Seriously, I'm still alive today because the 2 times in my life that I got into bigtime difficulty in the water, I had a buddy with me.
    First was blowing a regulator seal scuba diving at 110 feet deep. I lost all my air in about a minute but was able to share my buddy's to get back to the surface.
    Second was during hurricane Bertha back in the 90's (god I feel old being able to say that!). Ate major sh*t on a double overhead set wave and had my board snapped across my back. I woke up on the beach quite battered but drawing breath thanks to my mate. Seems the impact knocked me out and I took the rest of the set rag-doll style - I don't remember much, just thinking oh sh*t and then waking up on the sand.

I suppose it's like insurance, you never appreciate it until you really need it.
    I'd stick with a buddy, you might never have any trouble but if you do there will be a much better chance that you'll get through it.

climbs down off soap box.......

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Used to be quite fond of solitary surfing, but had too many close ones in the end. Bit of crack aswell going out with others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 cjs_surf

Lad's
    Half the fun of surfing, is surfing with your makes, taking the piss, having a laugh, hooting good waves....

Also if you're a beginners you will probably at some stage get into trouble with rips.... you'll learn faster and safer surfing with a few mates. If none of your mates surf then join a club, I'm in the ECSC and most of my surf buddies came trough it.

http://www.isasurf.ie/index.php?page=surfclubs

http://www.eastcoastsurfclub.com/ There's a meeting tonight details on the web page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ganteng

I think people are going a bit overboard about surfing alone-

obviously for beginners it isn't a good idea, but it's a different story for more experienced surfers. I've been out on my own many many times and wouldn't describe it as simple luck that I haven't killed myself yet- calling it foolhardy is extreme.

If you're fit, used to the spots you're surfing and have enough experience it is not something that is high-risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

85% of surf related accidents happen OUT of the water. Scariest thing that ever happened me was getting sick and collapsing with an infection 15mins out of the water. I was half hour from nearest dirt track in a secluded beach break, unable to move, and would have been in serious trouble if I was not carried out of the sun and sheltered under a makeshift hut made of boards until the vomiting stopped. Very grateful I was not on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Spoony2

If there are others out there i think its farely Ok. If there not ive allways felt it was skethy :confused:.....

it allso depends on how well you read water what the conditions are like I dont have many surfing friend's in ireland so i dont go out often. but if there are other people i will but il ask can i stick close enough to them so at least there people around incase something happens....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 cjs_surf

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

krinpit wrote: »

It's a popular sandy beach and I've only been surfing for a few months.[/quo

where do you surf??? Mayo??? Achill???? I know who you are your local pub is called the protractor:) summer time is a good time to live where you are!! there are a few people from around the protractor that are surfers, you can surf with them best surfing in numbers! will chat to u some night in the pub:)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

If im on my own i try and stay in neck to waist high water and wont go out in strong cross/off shore winds. Looking forward to the next couple days. Looks like there may be some ankle slappers down south :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

psh no proper swell in ages, none but the most exposed beachies are working with longboard waves.
    That blocking high looks like it might be moving away next week though, so we will see.

Surfing alone is great, if you're comfortable with the water. I had an epic early morning new years day surf for a couple of hours and had the beach all to myself, it was perfect, one of those sessions I won't forget.
    I had Easky left to myself for ages too last week in great conditions, it was just a weekday morning so it was empty :)
    Go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

There's so many people into surfing now that when you go to a break that's working, there's always people on it, especially if it's suitable for beginners. I work odd hours and would have gotten next to no surf last year if I waited for the chance when I could go with others. Like others have said, you need to be able to read the water and know your limits, I've always found fellow surfers really friendly and supportive when I've gone on my own and tbh, I don't think I'd get in if there was no one else in the water. However, fitter and more experienced mates of mine would get in alone no bother. If you're just starting off I definitely wouldn't advise it. I have had a few close ones, as have friends, and the panic factor alone until you know someone at least has spotted you're in difficulty is huge. Even if there's very little they can do for you immediately, at least they know and can get their ass in shore and call the coast guard!

Advertisement