Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to evolve a watch!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That code looks like m-script. I can't see any links to it tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I gave up after 30 seconds because I find it mind-numbingly boring to read script on video that scrolls so slowly that Forrest Gump would be willing it to go faster. 9 Minutes of that would be unbearable.

What happened? Did a watch evolve? Or is there a text of the script that I could read in 90 seconds?

Basically the system always begins with the basic components of a clock, gears, springs, hands etc. Non random selection of random mutations results in the formation of a pendulum type structure in which a hand attaches itself to a gear. The selection criterion favours this structure as it is somewhat good at accurately representing time.

Further random mutations to the surviving pendulums result in neutral, deleterious and beneficial mutations. For example other bits may attach to the pendulum with no effect on its time recording ability resulting in a neutral mutation. Sometimes a set of gears attach to the system preventing them to function properly according to the selection pressure (three gears connected locking together). Sometimes the addition of springs and and gears will allow a primitive conventional type clock. Additional gears with different numbers of teeth allow improved time recording accuracy and are then further selected.

So no matter how you tweak the models mutation rate you end up with pretty much the same outcome. Pendulum clocks are replaced by multihanded clocks.

I'd say skip into the video a bit to the results section to see the various "designs" that popped out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

5uspect wrote:
    That code looks like m-script. I can't see any links to it tho.
    Here's the, er, missing link:

http://files-upload.com/files/502321/Clock%20Evolution%20Functions.zip

I like the last three words of the video (go look!) Can't imagine too many creationists following the advice :(

Thanks Robin, If it is Matlab m-script I'll have a bash at it tonight...

EDIT: It is indeed! I've always wanted to try this in Matlab, I just never had the time or patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭carl_

robindch wrote: »
    Here's the, er, missing link...
    zing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

So basically you can evolve a watch providing you have a computer programme developed by an intelligent designer? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

PDN wrote: »
    So basically you can evolve a watch providing you have a computer programme developed by an intelligent designer? ;)
    Yeah, sure our universe is just a simulation inside a superior civilisation's super "computer",still it's reality and home to us!

P.s This may or may not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »

I hope you are joking ... otherwise I might scream ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote:
    So basically you can evolve a watch providing you have a computer programme developed by an intelligent designer?
    Aha! Don't just give up in complete boredom at thirty seconds, but try to hold on until you get to two minutes forty. All will be revealed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement