Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird cat

Options
  • 30-10-2007 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Out Kitten drinks about 1/2 pint of milk a day and wont drink water
    if you put water out for him all he does is wash is paws in it and then fecks off i have tried to stop giving him milk but he still wont drink water ????
    any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I've heard many cases of cats that hate water in some areas due to the amount of chemicals in it. I guess they have far more sensitive sense of taste / smell.
    Our cat nearly never used to drink water, but when we'd give it dry food (Brekkies etc...) we'd ensure we left out some water and he'd always go for it... they'd really make him thirsty! When you stopped giving him milk, I presume he was on 'wet' food?
    Have you ever seen your cat drink rainwater? As it's more 'pure', many cats can be seen drinking from puddles after a good downpour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

yeah , when he goes out the back he eats loads of grass and rainwater all right !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't know about cats, but dogs eat grass to make themselves puke up.

Also, try giving the cat a bowl of RiverRock water. You may have a different water in your area, than what the kitten likes (too hard, or too soft).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Cats like to eat grass to help their digestion...

My cat wont drink tap water only filtered or bottled...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

My cat will only drink the water from the tap in the bath. I have to turn it on a little bit so some drops slowly come out and she will drink this.
    But from downstairs she wont drink it when we put it in a bowl.

She loves that cat milk though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

roughan wrote: »
    yeah , when he goes out the back he eats loads of grass and rainwater all right !

Well, it sounds like he just loves his milk so! :)
    When you take it from him, he's still getting water from the 'wet' food (canned or pouches).
    If you put him on dried food and leave water with it, he'll probably go for it.
    I know the water in my area has a 'chemicaly' taste off it and I don't like it myself, but It's fine after I put it in a filter jug. If you have one yourself, see if he'll drink it from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Ok - so now we are to give our kitties RiverRock water.

Cheaper to give it milk - even I can't afford RiverRock water for myself
    lol.....

Bad enough that the little furball thingamy won't touch anything other
    than Whiskas and freshly cooked meat.....

Still - she is cute ....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Cats usually eat grass if they are constipated :)

my lily, got a bit of fillet steak this morning and turned his nose up to his real breakfast and just looked at me... as if to say you think i'm going to that after you gave me something so tasty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

ciaran76 wrote: »
    My cat will only drink the water from the tap in the bath. I have to turn it on a little bit so some drops slowly come out and she will drink this.
    But from downstairs she wont drink it when we put it in a bowl.

She loves that cat milk though.

Mine are the same! You will hear them hopping into the bath at mad hours of the night to drink-often bring a bottle top to play with in the bath as it is slippy and the bottle top moves faster! They never drink out of a bowl now and if the tap is not on they will sit staring at it for hours until you turn it on for them!

I heard that cats like water that is circulating and I know you can get water fountains that circulate the water constantly which cat seem to love. Ive seen tham on ebay but not in pet shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You think thats bad, My 2 kittens drink from the toilet! :o

Try this, it may give you some ideas

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1399&articleid=1061

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

My cat will only drink bottled water but to make it worse only from a glass. At first he would not drink it at all and one night I caught him with his head in a pint glass of water I had on my bedside locker. I dread to think how often he had being doing this before I actually discovered it:eek:
    Now when he's thirsty he heads for the bedroom to check if theres a glass there waiting for him! My Bf kills me for letting him do this but he looks so cute with his head stuck in the glass and at least he has his own glass now.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I put just enough milk to colour the water then she'll drink it. I don't think cows milk is the best for cats.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    You think thats bad, My 2 kittens drink from the toilet! :o

Try this, it may give you some ideas

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1399&articleid=1061

Id love to see a picture of that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Adult cats are lactose intolerant and shouldn't really drink milk, so you might want to try and wean the kitten off milkas it grows, otherwise it may turn in to a pukey kitty! My cat won't drink water that he's given. He likes to find it himself. At home (in my parents house where he lives) there's a pond in the back garden. He just drinks out of that. Maybe he likes the taste better He cam to stay with me for a week in my apartment and I was putting water out of it but he wasn't drinking it. I kept finding him drinking out of the toilet. Once i made sure both toilet lids were closed he's drink the water I'd given him, but only as a last resort. I think it's the hunter in him, he prefers to find it himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

*Page* wrote: »
    Id love to see a picture of that!!!

No problem! I'll catch one of them latter

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

macshadow wrote: »
    ... I don't think cows milk is the best for cats.

are you sure? used have a few cows here at home and after every milking the cats got half a sauspan of milk! didnt seem to do them any harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Our cats all drink rain water from a basin I use to collect it
    (I need rain water for my carnivorous plants)
    They refuse to drink tap water but have no problem drinking
    from the toilet bowl and will only drink milk when we let them inside.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Most cats are Lactose Intolerant and shouldn't be fed cows' milk. Cats that drink milk from cows on farms are most likely "Farm Cats" and the owners won't usually remark on a cat being ill. I was brought up on a dairy farm so I know.

I remember having a cat that used to drink directly from a cow that had a busted teat. As she "let down" the milk, the cat would be there lapping it up from the concrete.

Our own cat (Simba), nowadays, only drinks water but sometimes as a treat, gets Whiskas Cat Milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

my kitty will only drink tepid water in the mornings and ice cold water thats flavoured with elder berry in the pm....only kidding

But seriously, she's never used to be much into water until we started feeding her the dry food only. Now she's happy enough to just drink water, mind you I always make sure I fill her bowl from the fresh water in the kitchen...and not horrible tank water.

Right now she's watching me type this....adorable little kitty...sometimes I just wanna squish her

• Advertisement
Advertisement