Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turbo Problems

Options
  • 30-10-2007 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi All...

Quick question.. My car (Focus TDCI Sport) lost its.. GRRRRRRR yesterday and basically wouldnt pull the skin off a rasher. I think its the turbo. Had to get it towed home and wondering now... How much would I expect to pay to get it sorted.

Cheers for any help.

Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Diagnostically speaking, you should know roughly when the turbocharger kicks in. In some cars it makes a whizzing sound as it runs. Turbos can kick in at a defined point if you're accelerating hard, anywhere from 1,500 to 2,500 rpm. Is this missing now?

If so, then yes, it could be the turbo. If the whizzing is still there but the power doesn't come with it then the turbo might just need work. Some more info from yourself could be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Nice car, had one myself for a while.

No idea how much a turbo will cost but what makes you think the turbo is gone?
    Maybe an intercooler pipe has come off or the maf is knackered.

Checkout http://www.ffoc.co.uk/ these guys might be able to advise you.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Id go with the MAF aswell , get that checked out first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

RE: the maf, that reminds me, when I had my focus I forgot to reconnect the maf after changing the airfilter.
    The car ran fine but the was no power at all, as if the turbo was not boosting at all. Reconnected it ad all was well.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 al-007

maoleary wrote: »
    Diagnostically speaking, you should know roughly when the turbocharger kicks in. In some cars it makes a whizzing sound as it runs. Turbos can kick in at a defined point if you're accelerating hard, anywhere from 1,500 to 2,500 rpm. Is this missing now?

If so, then yes, it could be the turbo. If the whizzing is still there but the power doesn't come with it then the turbo might just need work. Some more info from yourself could be helpful

There was a whizzing sound alright. Basically all was fine and dandy and I went to pulll out from a side road but I had no power. car really felt like it was working hard to even do 20 pmh. Whizzing / slight rough sound came when I reved and let it go back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Sounds like you have one of the intercooler pipes off or burst. If the maf or map sensor is faulty it will bring on the Eml light.

Check the two intercooler hoses that run accross the rocker cover. Its the ones with the metal rings around them.

If these are fine, pull one of them off and see if it is full of oil. Expect a small amount but if there is loads most likely your turbo is shot.

Also i would recommend you get it plugged onto the Ford diagnostic equip just guide you in the right direction. Just cos you have no power doesnt mean its a turbo fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

If the impellers or bearing on the engine side breaks up, they have been known to cause shards of metal to get routed into the cylinder head causing scary damage to the pistons. I heard rumours that this can happen?

My brothers Alhambra was feeling a little low on power for a few weeks when eventually the turbo inlet bearing failed. The garage told him he was lucky that no serious damage was done to the engine.

Advertisement