Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting a room advice

Options
  • 30-10-2007 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

i've just agreed to rent my spare room and am looking at what I need to do - it's my first time!

Getting references off tenant
    have standing order setup for rent
    One month rent as security deposit
    Agreed to split bills (ESB, GAS, Phone, Internet and TV)

Is there somewhere I can get a draft contract for rental terms?
    Do I issue receipts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Most landlords I've come across dont actually require references from the tenant but perhaps its good for you to know what they are like. You need to set up a standing order for the rent to be paid into your bank account each month/week. I'd strongly recommend that you check that the payments are going in on time and in full!
    When your tenant pays you (deposit/rent) you are meant to give them a receipt. Rental terms can be found on any rent book (available almost anywhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I have found that most people will ask not to pay for the phone, as people tend to use mobiles rather than landlines. Due to this, I am currently researching getting broadband where I don't need a phoneline. My previous contract, a phoneline was essential, however my area has since become more developed.

A Lease would be advisable. Just put in it any terms and conditions ie The Landlord "Owner" agrees to ................................

The Tenant agrees to ..................................

include the current rent, notice period, notice of any changes in rent charges, are the bills on top of the rent, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Under the rent-a-room scheme (which I assume is what you are using) you can allow a tenant to "rent" a room in your house "under licence". You in exchange can earn up Euro 7620 per annum from rental income from this person, without any tax implications (you do however have to make an annual tax return declaring this income). This income is inclusive of all monies paid by the tenant- including bill shares etc- so its not as generous an amount as it seems at first glance.

The tenant does not have any rights that someone renting a property would normally have, nor does any notice to quit etc have to be given (you can ask them to leave at any time without any notice).

This link provides more information.

Regards,

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Lets say the house is owned jointly, how is the rent a room scheme assessed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

stepbar wrote:
    Lets say the house is owned jointly, how is the rent a room scheme assessed?

1/2 and 1/2 - the rent-a-room scheme allowance is split between the owners of the house- you do not get an allowance each.

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement