Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

three-piece suit

• 30-10-2007 1:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking around (in Dublin) for a three piece suit for a wedding.

Not really sure what colour I want, not really bothered as long as it's not just plain black (it's not a funeral!) but while I've only started to look I'm finding it hard to find many three piece suits.

Anyone know a good place to start my search? Not sure what I'm looking to spend but open at the moment, as long as it's not a stupid amount of money (ie don't bother suggesting Louis Copeland!)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

flogen wrote: »

Not really sure what colour I want, not really bothered as long as it's not just plain black (it's not a funeral!) but while I've only started to look I'm finding it hard to find many three piece suits.

Anyone know a good place to start my search? Not sure what I'm looking to spend but open at the moment, as long as it's not a stupid amount of money (ie don't bother suggesting Louis Copeland!)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Not the best suits in the world, but for most occassions their ok, BURTONS.

I used to spend stupid money on my suits, then just by chance I happened by Burtons and bought a cheap one and got excellent wear from it, and have bought there since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

My advice would be not to get one. They look very dated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jdivision wrote: »

For a wedding I still think they look pretty smart.

Plus they hold in the bulging gut after all that wedding cake and Guinness!.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

jdivision wrote: »

To be honest, how fashionable they are isn't really much of a concern to me - I want to get one because I think a nice/decent fitting one can look very, very well (and as Mairt said, very smart)

Besides it would be a nice thing to have for special occasions, like a wedding.

Thanks for the advice, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

would you not hire in black tie or ask them in there where to buy??

• Advertisement

LouOB wrote: »
    would you not hire in black tie or ask them in there where to buy??

Not keen on hiring or Black Tie in general - would rather pay for something new that I could have for things in the future etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

M&S do reasonable, decent suits.

Sangre wrote: »
    M&S do reasonable, decent suits.

Thanks - will give them a look when I'm in town tomorrow.

(Although last time I was in their Grafton St. branch they didn't seem to have a men's section - probably because of the redesign work they're doing at the moment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

M&S for sure. I got a suit there, machine washable for €75
    I also got one in heatons for about €40, im wearing it now. actually it was in charlestown during the opening so it was 30% off. I got 2 shirts and the suit for just under €40.
    Of course the heatons one is more for business use.
    M&S have dress suits too. Their Italian collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

You can buy from Black Tie as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Thanks - will give them a look when I'm in town tomorrow.

(Although last time I was in their Grafton St. branch they didn't seem to have a men's section - probably because of the redesign work they're doing at the moment)

I think mens section is on the top floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Undergod wrote: »
    You can buy from Black Tie as well.

Can you be sure you're not getting a suit they've been hiring out to people though?

(sorry for posting twice but I don't know how to quite two people in one post!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

No, they're jsut ex-hire, but I had a great experience buying from the one in waterford, it was in great condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

m&s on grafton street have very limited stock at the moment because of the renovations, I think most of their stock has been sent down to the mary street store!

I've heard netx isn't bad either but i'm not a guy so don't take my word on it! On a side note I think three piece suits look really smart on a guy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Why don't you just hire from Black-Tie?

Did the bride and groom specify 3-piecers? They look horribly dated unless jazzed up with something like a Cummerbund, and you'll probably only get one wear out of it if you buy.

Why don't you just hire from Black-Tie?

Did the bride and groom specify 3-piecers? They look horribly dated unless jazzed up with something like a Cummerbund, and you'll probably only get one wear out of it if you buy.

What would the point be in wearing a three-piece suit with a cummerbund? Wouldn't that either be covering half the waistcoat or else be obscured by it?

I don't really like hiring from black tie for a few reasons and would like to buy one - anyway I'm pretty sure I'll find a use for it again.

I'll have to disagree with you in terms of them looking dated - the only thing I think looks dated in general is tweed (and even some people can pull that off).

And no, they didn't specify three-piecers... just in case you think I mean an evening wear three piece suit (like this kind of thing), I don't - I mean a suit with a matching waist coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭dubdcugirly

As a girl in the fashion industry...three piece suits are a very good option there is nothing worse than a fella with a stain down his shirt and a crooked tie not hanging right and the answer to it is defo a waistcoat! plus very sexy!

Depending on your age M&S for older but seriously Topman do an extensive range of suits (v nice fit and nice price) (and no i dont work there in case anyone thinks im biased!

As a suggestion depends on you colouring thou a brown suit with white or cream shirt is lovely and I kow topman did hav one like that awhile ago...Plain brown tie or if your feeling brave (which u shud coz it looks great) a plain white or cream tie (depending on shirt!)
    Enjoy the wedding ur sure to be the best dressed there :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

three piece suits are fine as you can wear the waistcoat or not, it just gives you the option. Personally I don't like the look but it can work, be careful to get a snug enough shirt though, when wearing the waistcoat without the jacket you don't want shirt flowing out around the bottom.

Personally I'm not crazy about topman stuff but picked up a three piece brown suit there for my brother recently for a wedding. It looked pretty well and wasn't too 'fashiony'.

Otherwise I'd check out the big department stores, arnotts stocks about 30 or 40 different suit brands. M&S suits are ok, I have one, but find the fit is a bit erratic on them. Also have a look in House of Fraser in Dundrum, their own brand linea ones are nice and they stock some brands you wouldn't get elsewhere.

A bit out of leftfield - try TK Maxx, they had some nice Ted Baker suits when I was there last for between 149 and 249.

thanks dubdcugirly - will certainly check Topman out - which of their Dublin outlets would have the best selection? Grafton St.?

I have a brown (regular) suit already but was thinking brown for this because I couldn't go with black and wasn't particularly keen on navy either... I'm still undecided on colour and hope I'll just find one that jumps out at me but brown is kind of at the top of my list so far!

Thanks copacetic too - all of this going on my list of places to check!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

grafton street is definitely the best place, it is the only topman standalone shop, the others are all part of topshop afaik. Would recommend brown shoes to go with the suit, especially if you go brown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭dubdcugirly

thanks dubdcugirly - will certainly check Topman out - which of their Dublin outlets would have the best selection? Grafton St.?

I have a brown (regular) suit already but was thinking brown for this because I couldn't go with black and wasn't particularly keen on navy either... I'm still undecided on colour and hope I'll just find one that jumps out at me but brown is kind of at the top of my list so far!

Thanks copacetic too - all of this going on my list of places to check!

Yep brown or also a grey suit can look very strong as well and grey trousers and waistcoat are lovely with white shirt...stay clear of navy its too old and no black simply because a black three piece at a wedding will make u look like a groomsman!....and yes Grafton st would be the best, suits from wat I remember (trip with my bro also!) are upstairs...P.S.buy nice shoes too so many fellas let suits down with crap shoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Were going to go expensive here,
    Abrhams on Sth Anne St.

Advertisement