Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move Home?

Options
  • 30-10-2007 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Ok here's my prediciment.

I am currently renting a bedsit for 650 p/m, as you can imagine this is bit overly expensive...

However, I could move back home and pay 300(ish) p/m to my parents, to have a room to myself - however it's only definitely to myself until March as my brother might be moving back in at the end of March and then we'd have to share.

Which one would you choose?

Move Home or Stay Put? 9 votes

Move Home
    0% 0 votes
    Stay Put
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cormster

Hi
    If there was no increase in commute to work/college, I would be sorely tempted to move home. The rent is much less, and when I did the same move (from rented accommodation back home to the parent's house) I was glad of Mammy's home cooking and laundry service. While that may not exactly mirror what you are coming home to, I think the decreased rent would certainly be a big motivation on its own. I would suggest do up a list of PRO's and CON's of each option as this may help you clarify the benefits and drawbacks of each.

In my own case, the only drawback was the commute to work jumped from a consistent 15 mins each way every day to 1 hour on average. While I've lost on that aspect I've gained in other aspects.

Good luck with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Commonsense

I have a mortgage but dont pay 650 for it
    madness

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

madness

Commonsense- just curious- how much is your mortgage?
    650 a month will only pay the interest component on a 130k mortgage (if even that)- most people who have taken out a mortgage over the past few years owe vastly more than that. In that context- his 650 a month could be reasonable to him (though if it did not inconvenience him or his parents, 300 a month to his parents would of course be much better).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

madness

U lucky git, mine is 1100 plus bills and i used to have to pay management fee too, which worked out at 100 a month.

mel123 wrote:
    U lucky git, mine is 1100 plus bills and i used to have to pay management fee too, which worked out at 100 a month.

You're lucky- my sister has an apartment in Smithfield, just off Cuckoo Lane. Their management charge this year is E4,400...... Seems rather extortionate to me.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mel123 wrote: »
    And the sad thing is that even 1100pm is very low compared to what most people would have to fork out if they're buying today.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭AOR

You need to weigh up the benefits of freedom and travel distances Vs the cost savings (5*(650-300)) of €1,750. However I would be tempted to move home for the few months and try find a cheaper place down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

smccarrick wrote: »
    You're lucky- my sister has an apartment in Smithfield, just off Cuckoo Lane. Their management charge this year is E4,400...... Seems rather extortionate to me.......

What does she get for 4400?

What does she get for 4400?

Lifts, secure parking, a little landscaping and repair work from the overhead water leaks....... not a lot to show for 4.4k to be honest. Its the apartment block just off Cuckoo Lane- behind the Fyffes banana ripening plant.

S.

Advertisement