Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Editor

Options
  • 30-10-2007 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Can anyone recommend a decent php editor/IDE. I'm assuming I'll have to pay a few yoyo for a decent one. I'm currently using an old beta version of PHP designer Linky.

Can I do much better than this without shelling out a stack load? The version of phpDesigner that I'm using can't handle includes if the filenames are variables... anyone know of something that can? What do the big boys use? What would be used in the big open source projects for example?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Eclipse is your best bet in my opinion http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/

failing that go with hmm... ZendStudio ... but there you are forking out 200+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks Forbairt - appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

di11on wrote: »
    Thanks Forbairt - appreciate that.

No problem ... I think there is a 30 day trial of zend studio from their website ..

There is also http://www.zend.com/products/zend_studio/eclipse?hpb=studio-eclipse-beta-main available from them but again its commercial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you'd settle for a plain and simple text editor, I'd suggest jEdit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've used Maguma Studio and PHP Designer in the past. They're both free and straightforward to use. I would recommend checking them out. I keep coming back to UltraEdit though :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

I think you should (personally) develop php yourself. Use a text editor with sytax highlighter and a web browser. Learning php yourself is the best way forward. It is like any programming language, actually it is quiet easy to learn. If you have any problems there are many sites out there to help. i.e thescripts.com

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Notepad++ FTW.

And not just for PHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

PSPAD owns all your bases.

http://www.pspad.com/en/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

EditPad Pro does the trick down here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I'm on HTML KIT - potent and lots of add-ons available to customise it. I really need to read more of the documentation to get the best out of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

PSPAD owns all your bases.

http://www.pspad.com/en/

Just have to recommend PSPad, has all they syntax highlighting and has inbuilt FTP and macro recording facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Is PHP Designer 2007 really free? I installed it and it wants me to register for €39... or something. Not a lot, I know. But not nothing either.

Trying to get eclispse working with wamp on my local machine. No luck so far. I could read through the enormous tutorials but that's hardly the traditional way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

di11on wrote: »
    Is PHP Designer 2007 really free? I installed it and it wants me to register for €39... or something. Not a lot, I know. But not nothing either.
    The 2006 edition was definitely freeware. I see from their downloads page that they are offering a free trial of the 2008 edition but the 2007 edition is also available. It doesn't seem to be asking for money anywhere when I run the 2007 version of the application. It's quite possible that I have missed something though :).

Advertisement