Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Quitter

Options
  • 30-10-2007 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I had my last cigarette on Sunday at 6pm. I've been doing ok. I'm using nicotine patches but am still having some very powerful cravings. I was at a dinner party last night and had a few glasses of wine, also when I got out of bed this morning I nearly convinced myself to go to the shop and buy some, just to have one in the morning. Any one have any tips for beating these cravings?

Also, how long should I use the patches for? Am I just delaying worse cravings when I come off the patch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Hi

First off, good luck with your quit! I'm 10 weeks in and although it has been tough at times, its worth it.

I quit cold turkey this time, but have used the patches before. I found the patches fine, they got me off the cigarettes and I would have stayed off them except for my "just one won't hurt" theory, which I've disproved time and time again! With the patches, you are allowing your body to get used to a slower, steadier rate of nicotine delivery so you should have lesser cravings, not worse, when you do come off them (sometimes though, the worst cravings are in the mind as your body will be free of nicotine 3 days after you stop the supply - I still get these, but less and less these days).

When it comes to beating the cravings, my advice based on whats worked for me would be:

1. Accept that there will be some discomfort, this is the price of becoming a non-smoker/ex-smoker and it will be worth paying. Have your list of reasons for quitting nearby to read; and start a list of benefits that you can add to and review when you need (sense of smell returning, being able to deep breath, €50 saved, €100 saved etc.). I've started a "quit diary" in a small carry-everywhere notebook and it really does help to look back on past days (good and bad) when a craving hits.

2. Reward yourself whenever you can - this doesn't have to cost a fortune; a long bath, an early night, a long walk, cinema trip, magazine you wouldn't normally buy (because you're spending money on cigs) - make sure you're getting treble benefits (health, money and rewards) for your hard work!

3. The famous 4 D's - Drink (some water), Delay (sit the craving out 5 minutes), Distract (pick up the phone, put on the TV or some music), Deep (breathe - you should do this deep measured breathing as regularly as you can, it will help calm you down).

I hope some/all of that is helpful to you and I'm sure the others here will have lots to add. Again, best of luck with your quit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Just thinkin about the 139 smokes that I've avoided since last Monday week makes me feel all good about it, I've had my moments, but those D's do work.
    I'm still dodgin the old habits though, I suppose i could even call it a lifestyle change at this stage. Endorphins do help, and they are free !
    Chest has started to do the hock thing I was told about. Hope its cleared up by christmas, cough is a little more "lumpy" but at least it feels like there is a point to hacking it out now. Best of Irish Luck to us all.....

Advertisement