Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bertie gets another dig out....

• 30-10-2007 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

and this time it's from the Irish taxpayer.:mad:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1025/politics.html

"The Taoiseach is set to receive a pay rise of €38,000 a year, which will bring his annual salary to €310,000.

The pay increase is under the terms of a pay review for senior public servants."

I don't think this is politics as such so I put it here, if the mods disagree, feel free to move it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

old news afaik, though cleverly smoke-screened by this coinciding provisional driver debacle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

aye we had this last week...
    did some newspaper not say the makes him one of the top paid politicians in the world?!
    i can only hope that's an exaggeration...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

Apparently now, he earns more than Gordon Brown, and more than George Bush. Its absolutely disgraceful! With all the money the health service needs. They could of even used it to sort out the driving test waiting times!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

AFAIK, he's now the highest paid politician in the world outside the realms of crackpot dictatorships. Doesn't it make you proud to be Irish? :rolleyes:

Democracy's been let go too far, it's time for a good old fashioned bloody coup in this country. I reckon there's about 10 - 20 thousand people we need to kill in order to turn this country around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Sleepy wrote: »
    AFAIK, he's now the highest paid politician in the world outside the realms of crackpot dictatorships. Doesn't it make you proud to be Irish? :rolleyes:

Ya he is still a bit behind Mugabe, but hes getting there! I have to agree that i am also embarrassed to be Irish with BS that goes on here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yiz are all just jealous and petty. In the greater scheme of things 300 odd grand isn't that much of a salary. Sure wasn't Steve Staunton on 400 grand for "managing" the Irish soccer team, Bertie runs the country. Give the lad some slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I love the games they play, and how the learner drivers furore has overshadowed his pay rise. shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The worst thing is this will move him further away from your average Joe soap on the street. He'll be hanging around with all his rich friends sipping campaign lighting Cuban cigars with €500 notes laughing at homeless people on the way to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

ScumLord wrote: »
    The worst thing is this will move him further away from your average Joe soap on the street. He'll be hanging around with all his rich friends sipping campaign lighting Cuban cigars with €500 notes laughing at homeless people on the way to work.
    Eh no he won't. What are you basing this on ScumLord? To the best of Pigheads knowledge Bertie has never ran out onto the streets of Dublin singing "I've got money, you've got none la la la la la la" to the homeless people whilst sipping campaign(sic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Democracy's been let go too far, it's time for a good old fashioned bloody coup in this country. I reckon there's about 10 - 20 thousand people we need to kill in order to turn this country around.
    I'm with you. (Any chance of a nice position - ambassador to, oh I dunno, say Monaco, or Fiji or some such?)

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Eh no he won't. What are you basing this on ScumLord? To the best of Pigheads knowledge Bertie has never ran out onto the streets of Dublin singing "I've got money, you've got none la la la la la la" to the homeless people whilst sipping campaign(sic)
    You weren't there man.. OK so it was a bottle of long mountain but the humiliation those poor beggars went through was still uncalled for.

But it will mean he hangs out with rich folk listening to they're problems.

Well, I had planned to give you a job in the (re)education sector so lets see how you get on there first. Maybe we could look at a nice consulate position in warmer climes after we've bedded down the new regime. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

AFAIK, he's now the highest paid politician in the world outside the realms of crackpot dictatorships.

Bertie isn't a crackpot dictator ???? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I think he should have got more

marcsignal wrote:
    Bertie isn't a crackpot dictator ????
    If only that were true. Much easier remove a crackpot dictator than a bunch of crackpots that have been democratically elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Well, I had planned to give you a job in the (re)education sector so lets see how you get on there first. Maybe we could look at a nice consulate position in warmer climes after we've bedded down the new regime. ;)
    Sounds good to me! Cheers bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ooh ooh gimme the ministry of propaganda! I always wanted to say things like "our urban revitalisation program was a complete success, paving the way for a newer, brighter future for the glorious sons and daughters of this great nation" when talking about burning out drug dealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Pighead wrote: »
    Yiz are all just jealous and petty. In the greater scheme of things 300 odd grand isn't that much of a salary. Sure wasn't Steve Staunton on 400 grand for "managing" the Irish soccer team, Bertie runs the country. Give the lad some slack.

What's with all the Bertie apologetics lately? You can't compare Bertie, who is paid with tax payers' money, to Steve Staunton. He is a civil servant. At best, you can compare him to other heads of state. And yes, he's making more than all of them even though he's running a small country with a tiny population and doesn't have any important decisions to make.

Let's not forget that he's doing a fairly pathetic job as well. It's well established that he's an illiterate college drop-out and he is giving himself large pay increases whilst other state-run offices are left in debt. Irresponsible doesn't come close.

You're so smart and ironic to see through the spin and stick up for Bertie when it's a not a popular opinion. Very avant garde and challenging, but your argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny - there simply is no justification for the inordinate amount of money he's giving himself.

Perhaps this is one of Pighead's controversial humorous posts?

2Scoops wrote: »
    there simply is no justification for the inordinate amount of money he's giving himself.
    It was an independent body that gave the Bertie gang they're raise. Bertie had nothing to do with hiring or threatening them into giving all the fat cats a raise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

It was an independent body that gave the Bertie gang they're raise. Bertie had nothing to do with hiring or threatening them into giving all the fat cats a raise.

He could have refused the raise.

• Advertisement

An independent body suggested % increases based on pay. They got it wrong because they didn't set a cap on earnings. Bertie and FF approved the recommendations, which the independent body did not have authority to do. He could have said: "No, that's too much. Don't give me that much and divert it to other state departments where it at least has a chance of being better spent." But he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

As if a single person on Boards would turn down a pay rise like that. Everyone's only human. Make hay while the sun shines I say. Same with directors of multinational corporations and then all these people appear with pious platitudes about how the pay is disgusting but if they were earning it they'd be the first to crack open a bottle of Cristal on the yacht in St Tropez.

Jigsaw wrote: »
    As if a single person on Boards would turn down a pay rise like that. Everyone's only human. Make hay while the sun shines I say. Same with directors of multinational corporations and then all these people appear with pious platitudes about how the pay is disgusting but if they were earning it they'd be the first to crack open a bottle of Cristal on the yacht in St Tropez.

But no one on Boards is being offered a rise like that... which is kind of the point! He shouldn't be in a position to approve his own pay rises.

Bertie has feathered his own nest with tax payers' money. Once again: he is a civil servant. The job is not a money-making opportunity and just because you think people in general are greedy, there is still no logical reason to accept this situation.

You can't equate the Taoiseach with directors of multinational companies. They operate on a for-profit basis. Bertie is a civil servant. You can't compare him to Steve Staunton, John Delany, footballers or popstars because Bertie is a civil servant. He can only be reasonably compared to other heads of state and he's getting more than all of them. This despite the fact that his job is not difficult, and that he's not even doing a very good job, AND that other more worthy parts of the government are being under-funded.

As ironic and clever as it is to defend Bertie, you really haven't got a leg to stand on. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bertie is a f***ing disgrace. He should be put on a factory wage, with a mortgage. When the factory workers get more money because the economy does better, so does he. This goes for the rest of the fat cats in government too.

On a lighter note, read the t-shirt

Advertisement