Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 or ps3 for xmas pressie?

Options
  • 30-10-2007 2:30pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all just posting seeking advice for a family friend looking to buy either a 360 or ps3 for her boyfriends xmas present.

Ive not been keeping up with consoles at all but i think im correct in saying the 360 has more games.
    Without trying to create a console war which would she go for?

I would of posted this in console forums but they are dedicated to one or the other console so i thought i might get a non fanboy view here :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well I have a ps3 and im happy with but id say go with the xbox 360,there way more games out for it!Although I read somewhere there were issues with the cpu overheating and causing it to break.....so tell your friend to consider that before she buys either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I have the ps3 and definitely advise getting it - its only new so more and more games are coming out for it, it's cheaper in the long run, has amazing memory, and that Home thing is coming out soon which is going to be amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Meh, if you like Second Life maybe Home will be amazing, and sure it has a lot of harddrive space but I don't think that matters.

Plenty of other threads about this that cover most of it, but right now I'd recommend the 360 over the PS3. What kind of games does your friend's boyfriend like? That's really what matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i have both, and i wouldnt even attempt to recommend the ps3 over the 360

xbox all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

would have to agree with Helix on that one , also have both and the 360 wins handsdown :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

I would advise getting the 360.

The online gaming is better on that compared to the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Oh no not another next gen battle but have both and 360 wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I also have both. If I had to choose only one it would be the 360 hands down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have both consoles.

360 wins hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

tbh i'd say the ps3. not because of the games, or my fanboy nature... but because i forsee a pricedrop in the 360 next year, so if he so wishes to have his halo etc. fix he'll be grand to pick it up himself, whereas even with a pricedrop the ps3 will still be expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I still haven't bought a PS3, and it's not due to lack of money, but due to the desperate lack of games.
    360 hands down imo, it's got a fantastic back catalogue of games available and seems to be giving the PS3 a run for its money in the performance stakes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ya the xbox 360 is great until it decides to overheat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

You are getting more value for money with a playstation 3. The game list is smaller than the 360 but is growing rapidly. There are some really big titles due for release at xmas and early next year. I believe that this time next year the Ps3 will be the leading console, (Just my opinion). The online gaming is FREE! The ps3 is a home media server. This means you can stream your music, photos or video to it over your home wireless network. There are no issues with over-heating or crashing. Three of my friends have traded their 360's in the last month for the PS3 because they believe the PS3 is superior and these friends were die hard 360 fans. Out of the box you have blu-ray disc player for watching high definition movies and the PS3 is excellent for watchin videos from utube or any web page on your telly via its built in internet browser.

Did I forget built in WIFI and Bluetooth

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I have both and at the moment the PS3 is just a dust magnet, while the 360 is eating up all my gaming time. It's not even a hard choice right now, the 360 is a much, much better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

id say xbox ive played games on the ps3 and they dont compare one being EA skate which was horrible.. Joypads are nicer on the 360 also!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

tman wrote: »
    I still haven't bought a PS3, and it's not due to lack of money, but due to the desperate lack of games.
    360 hands down imo, it's got a fantastic back catalogue of games available and seems to be giving the PS3 a run for its money in the performance stakes.
    I just blew €500 on a PS3 this afternoon and my god was it a waste of money. My now unbiased opinion says forget all about buying a PS3, get a 360 instead!:p

Ps3.

out of curiousity, how many people saying ps3 have both the ps3 and the xbox 360?

I only have the PS3. I don't want or need an xbox.

I only have the PS3. I don't want or need an xbox.

so basically, youre just defending the machine that you own, instead of actually giving a balanced opinion like the people who own both are?

do you not think its a bit odd that everyone who has both is recommending the 360 over the ps3 by an absolute mile? no?

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    so basically, youre just defending the machine that you own, instead of actually giving a balanced opinion like the people who own both are?

do you not think its a bit odd that everyone who has both is recommending the 360 over the ps3 by an absolute mile? no?

OP asked for a recommendation. I gave one.

but again its a very one sided recommendation isnt it, thats all im saying

Helix wrote: »
    but again its a very one sided recommendation isnt it, thats all im saying

Thats usually what people look for when they ask for a recommendation. I said PS3 because I am happy with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Had this discussion with my brother last week, he has neither but does have a mate working for gamestop or gamezone, whatever its called. Anyway his mate said the 360 was the way to go because of price, games available etc and the overheating problem has been solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

tbh i'd say the ps3. not because of the games, or my fanboy nature... but because i forsee a pricedrop in the 360 next year, so if he so wishes to have his halo etc. fix he'll be grand to pick it up himself, whereas even with a pricedrop the ps3 will still be expensive.

I definitely wouldn't buy it for that reason anyway.

I have 360 and I was going to buy a PS3 but there's only 1/2 games I'd actually think would be good on it, went in to buy it and then changed my mind when I realised I'd still be just playing the 360.

Much better games on 360 and better online experience. You can stream the music, photos and videos too as with PS3. If connecting via wireless they'll need to get adapter which costs €80 but you can connect via laptop/pc if that has wireless already. There's forums in XBOX thread on how to do this or on xboxlivetheguide.com I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Saint Bob

Dosent teh PS3 cost alot more? so buy teh PS3, then if it turns out its crap can sell it and buy a 360 later, thats callin havin your cake and eating it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I've owned both and I'd recommend the PS3. It's got better games coming to it over the next year, and it's current games catalogue isn't nearly as far behind the 360 as is made out to be (you'd be missing out on a couple of good current games, but gaining a couple too, the majority of good games are out on both)

It's also (and this is the only thing nobody can dispute) got much better made hardware - it won't break, it's quieter and it doesn't overheat as much. You won't need to buy millions of peripherals for it either, unlike the 360 which will require extra battery packs and wireless adaptor and a subscription if you want online play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

tman wrote: »
    I just blew €500 on a PS3 this afternoon and my god was it a waste of money.

I own neither console but I'm just curious how anyone could come to that conclusion so quickly !?!

cozmik wrote: »
    I own neither console but I'm just curious how anyone could come to that conclusion so quickly !?!

youd be very surprised

i had that same pang of "oh no" after i bought mine lol

that said im enjoying the machine and the games, i just wouldnt recommend it to anyone over the 360 at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

steviec wrote: »
    I've owned both and I'd recommend the PS3. It's got better games coming to it over the next year, and it's current games catalogue isn't nearly as far behind the 360 as is made out to be (you'd be missing out on a couple of good current games, but gaining a couple too, the majority of good games are out on both)

There is a massive difference between the catalogues and most of the games on both, are better on the 360.
    Let me post this again:
    # Xbox 360 is home to the best-selling games with the top-rated next-generation titles. According to the world-wide authority in entertainment reviews, Metacritic, Xbox 360 has 80 titles with a Metacritic review score of 80 or higher compared to just 31 for PS3 and 11 for Wii.
    # Newly released title “The Orange Box” (Valve) and the highly anticipated title “Mass Effect” (Microsoft Game Studios) have both generated rankings of 97 and higher according to Metacritic. And not to forget “BioShock” (2KGames) which remains one of the year’s highest rated games.
    # In spite of the unprecedented success of “Halo 3,” Xbox 360 continued to drive third-party games sales across all platforms. PS3 and Wii had ZERO third party titles in the top ten console title list for the month, while Xbox 360 weighed in with 3. Since November, third party partners have seen their titles hit the top ten 27 times for Xbox 360, compared to 2 for PS3 and 1 for Wii.
    # Everyone knew “Halo 3” would be big -and it didn’t disappoint- but it wasn’t the only good news for the industry. For the month of September, according to the NPD Group data, Xbox 360 held six spots in the Top Ten Console Games. Led by initial sales of “Halo 3” Xbox 360 software is flying off the shelves. Below is a breakout of title sales from the September NPD data:
    # In its first two weeks, the three editions of “Halo 3” placed #1, 2 and 3 overall for console title sales - for a total of more than €157 ($225) million in sales in the U.S. with 3.3 million units. Average unit prices were €48 ($69) per game. The €91 ($130) “Halo 3: Legendary Edition” alone sold twice as many units as the top title for PS3 “Heavenly Sword” (SCE); the helmet is mightier than the sword.
    # Proving that Xbox 360 is the new home for sports gamers, “Madden NFL ‘08” (EA) on Xbox 360 was again the leading next gen platform with 173,000 units sold, compared to the PS3 at 62,000 and Wii at 58,000. To date, “Madden NFL ‘08” has sold 1.1 million units on Xbox 360, 87 percent more than other next-gen platforms combined.
    # Xbox 360 exclusive "BioShock" has sold 641,000 units through the end of September and remains to be on track to sell more than 1 million units. While “Halo 3” and “Madden NFL ‘08” have led the way as the first of a string of titles that are expected to sell more than 1 million units between now and the end of the year.
    # As we announced earlier this month Xbox 360 has an unprecedented lineup of titles expected to sell at least a million units worldwide, including new and upcoming releases such as “Call of Duty 4®: Modern Warfare™" (Activision), "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock" (RedOctane/Activision), "Mass Effect" (Microsoft Game Studios)
    # Rounding out the top titles for Xbox 360, “Skate” (EA) came in at #6. The Xbox 360 version of the innovative titles outsold the PS3 version 6:1.

The above shows that the versions on 360 generally have a higher review, and people tend to buy multi-platform games on the 360 rather than the PS3 (to a much greater extent than the fact that there are more 360s out there than PS3s). Could it be that people are choosing the 360 version because its better on that? :eek:
    steviec wrote: »
    It's also (and this is the only thing nobody can dispute) got much better made hardware - it won't break, it's quieter and it doesn't overheat as much. You won't need to buy millions of peripherals for it either, unlike the 360 which will require extra battery packs and wireless adaptor and a subscription if you want online play.

You don't require those peripherals, I don't have any of them and I get along fine playing online with my wireless joypad. I do have a few headsets though that you don't get with the PS3.
    The PS3 is more reliable, but Microsoft have extended the warrenty to 3 years for over heating issues and I play in a small room with a launch console and don't notice the noise of the 360 once I'm playing.

Advertisement