Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 or ps3 for xmas pressie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

mcgovern wrote: »
    The above shows that the versions on 360 generally have a higher review, and people tend to buy multi-platform games on the 360 rather than the PS3 (to a much greater extent than the fact that there are more 360s out there than PS3s). Could it be that people are choosing the 360 version because its better on that? :eek:

i've been doing the opposite. free online play! plus my 360 is in my bedroom, which is two floors above the router. if the ps3 offers free play and built-in wifi, why should i bother with the €70 (how has the price not dropped yet?) wireless adapter, which has about €15 worth of technology in it.
    The PS3 is more reliable, but Microsoft have extended the warrenty to 3 years for over heating issues and I play in a small room with a launch console and don't notice the noise of the 360 once I'm playing.

there are some caviats to that warranty extension afaik. the console has to have been bought within a certain date, as shown by the serial... i think.

also, i have a launch 360 (i've had 4, technically ;)) and while it doesn't annoy me, to not hear the machine would worry me. you may want to get those ears checked out :)
    Helix wrote: »
    do you not think its a bit odd that everyone who has both is recommending the 360 over the ps3 by an absolute mile? no?

we've had people who bought a ps3 say it was a waste of money after one day. which means they got none of the experience from the machine and probably only played 2 games (resistance and motorstorm, or whatever bundles are going..).

the ps3's network has far superior games to xbla (not that xbla has bad games). the games aren't side-dishes, but for me are cheap main courses. calling all cars, flow, warhawk (though you can now get a disc version with a headset), super stardust hd et al are stunning games... but importantly, cheap.

as for "actual" games, PS3 is in its first year. it came out in Europe this year, march. you can't seriously expect it to have the same catalogue as the 360, which has some seriously quality titles. gears of war, halo3, PGR3 (haven't played the new one yet) etc. with some good stuff coming soon (mass effect etc.). but the ps3 has some great titles out now too, and a lot of the 360's stuff is on PS3 anyway. but the future for ps3 looks brighter for me then 360. killzone2 looks amazing, as does MGS4 and GT5 (the demo confirms that gameplay shows forza and pgr up big time). if you have youngins around, the 360 has very little to offer, while ps3 has begun momentum on the "family" gaming stuff with eye of judgement and the playstation eye games on PSN. singstar is on its way, no doubt followed by buzz.

what i'm saying here is that yeah, 360 has better games right now, and is cheaper, but ps3 has yet to come into its own. for the price you get a lot of cool stuff that are optional extras on 360 (and when you bring your 360 upto the ps3's capabilities with wifi, high def movies etc., it costs MORE then the ps3).

360 is a honda, cheap, fun and everyone loves you for it. but it'll break down in a heap and demand attention all the time; whereas the ps3 is a jaguar, expensive, fun, reliable and full of cool stuff, but ultimately it does the same job as the honda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Depends on what you want to play imo.

I bought an xbox recently because I wanted to play halo3 and pgr4, neither of which is on a ps3. I can safely safe I can't think of a single game I'd want to play on a ps3 so why should I buy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

with the 40gb out now ps3 outselling 360 all most 2:1 for europe both are getting their @55 handed to them by wii but whatever. got this from eurogamer.net

Varik wrote: »
    with the 40gb out now ps3 outselling 360 all most 2:1 for europe both are getting their @55 handed to them by wii but whatever. got this from eurogamer.net

yes but, being a Wii owner myself, the games are useless unless made by Nintendo. it's got the same problem as the gamecube, except this time nintendo are more then happy to have it that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

cozmik wrote: »
    I own neither console but I'm just curious how anyone could come to that conclusion so quickly !?!

By looking at the top ranking games on metacritic and gamerankings and realising that ratchet and clank is the only exclusive title that I'm even remotely interested in. Then realising that Mario Galaxy is going to wipe the floor with that, and 1 platformer will do me for the year... (definitely not my favourite genre)
    By playing resistance for all of 5 minutes before switching it off and going back to Metroid Prime 3.
    By using the horrible controller and realising that the 360 controller is far superior in every way, so I'll just end up buying all of the multiformat releases for the 360 instead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll come into its own a year down the line, and will be a handy upscaling dvd player/PS2 replacement until then. But €500 isn't something I'd normally hand over for something that has potential and little else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

i've been doing the opposite. free online play! plus my 360 is in my bedroom, which is two floors above the router. if the ps3 offers free play and built-in wifi, why should i bother with the €70 (how has the price not dropped yet?) wireless adapter, which has about €15 worth of technology in it.
    So you are one of the people who need the wireless adapter. Not all do so why should all pay?
    there are some caviats to that warranty extension afaik. the console has to have been bought within a certain date, as shown by the serial... i think.
    Problem should basically be sorted in the newer 65nm models though.
    also, i have a launch 360 (i've had 4, technically ;)) and while it doesn't annoy me, to not hear the machine would worry me. you may want to get those ears checked out :)
    I'm on my 5th, maybe its just my surround sound drowning it out :D
    we've had people who bought a ps3 say it was a waste of money after one day. which means they got none of the experience from the machine and probably only played 2 games (resistance and motorstorm, or whatever bundles are going..).

the ps3's network has far superior games to xbla (not that xbla has bad games). the games aren't side-dishes, but for me are cheap main courses. calling all cars, flow, warhawk (though you can now get a disc version with a headset), super stardust hd et al are stunning games... but importantly, cheap.
    But Xbox Live is far superior for actually playing games.
    as for "actual" games, PS3 is in its first year. it came out in Europe this year, march. you can't seriously expect it to have the same catalogue as the 360, which has some seriously quality titles. gears of war, halo3, PGR3 (haven't played the new one yet) etc. with some good stuff coming soon (mass effect etc.). but the ps3 has some great titles out now too, and a lot of the 360's stuff is on PS3 anyway. but the future for ps3 looks brighter for me then 360. killzone2 looks amazing, as does MGS4 and GT5 (the demo confirms that gameplay shows forza and pgr up big time). if you have youngins around, the 360 has very little to offer, while ps3 has begun momentum on the "family" gaming stuff with eye of judgement and the playstation eye games on PSN. singstar is on its way, no doubt followed by buzz.
    In less than 3 weeks it will be out a year in the US and what great games have they that Europe doesn't?
    Xbox has Viva Pinata and Viva Pinata:Party Animals is out in a few weeks. Scene It is out soon which looks similar to Buzz in some ways. Kameo was a good game for kids (as well as adults). My little sister is my guinea pig for these and she loves them, almost as much as MySims on her DS :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

So you are one of the people who need the wireless adapter. Not all do so why should all pay?
    Because mass producing them in every box adds all of about a fiver to the price, while charging €70 for the adaptor seperately is an absolute rip off, and a hidden cost that many people won't account for until it's too late and they've bought one. I'd imagine more than 50% of users would need a wireless adaptor, how many people run ethernet cable to their sitting room?
    Problem should basically be sorted in the newer 65nm models though.

Which is still hit or miss as to whether you get the right batch or not. Plus the gfx is the main culprit, and that hasn't been changed, so the jury is still out here.

I've noticed little difference. F1CE or FIFA or Motorstorm have been no more laggy or more difficult to get online than PGR or CoD on 360. Then I don't play FPS games religiously and I have no concern with being in a clan or whatever so maybe if I did I'd appreciate whatever the hell it is that the 360 friends list apparently does better. I do probably enjoy the PS3 online experience more because there's less adolescents screaming abuse though (since nobody has mics, which can be a bad thing of course if you're big on your team games).
    In less than 3 weeks it will be out a year in the US and what great games have they that Europe doesn't?

Just Ratchet & Clank I think. The point is (I've made it over and over again) that the PS3 has a very good games catalogue. It's just that most of these games are multiplatform so people ignore them. But by the same token, all of the best 360 games in its first year were multiplatform titles (GRAW, CoD2, Oblivion), it just had the advantage of being the only next gen platform at the time. Comparing like for like, the PS3 catalogue is vastly stronger right now than the 360 catalogue after 1 year, and more importantly there are many major exclusive PS3 franchises on the way. There is very little (exclusive) left to come for the 360 - after Mass Effect Bioware are going multiplatform, Bizzare have gone multiplatform, Epic have gone multiplatform, Capcom are multiplatform.... Even Bungie have parted ways with MS so only time will tell how loyal they stay. On the other hand Team Ico, Polyphony, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Studio Liverpool, Studio London and countless other Sony first party studios will only make Playstation games. MS don't have much in the way of quality first party studios of that calibre.
    Xbox has Viva Pinata and Viva Pinata:Party Animals is out in a few weeks. Scene It is out soon which looks similar to Buzz in some ways. Kameo was a good game for kids (as well as adults). My little sister is my guinea pig for these and she loves them, almost as much as MySims on her DS :confused:

Why buy a 360 for a Buzz rip off when you can just play Buzz? Buzz and Singstar are nicely established. Whether or not people will upgrade to a PS3 for the next in the franchise is another matter entirely though, I don't see much point in buying any next gen console for this kind of game, the PS2 still ticks all the boxes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

steviec wrote: »
    I do probably enjoy the PS3 online experience more because there's less adolescents screaming abuse though (since nobody has mics, which can be a bad thing of course if you're big on your team games).
    Hit mute, takes seconds.
    There is very little (exclusive) left to come for the 360 - after Mass Effect
    Halo Wars, Splinter Cell Conviction, Banjo-Kazooie 3, Alan Wake, Fable 2, Huxely, Left 4 Dead, Too Human, All Points Bulletin?

Bioware have said Microsoft will be "a long-term partner on Mass Effect." btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Dinxminx wrote: »
    I have the ps3 and definitely advise getting it - its only new so more and more games are coming out for it, it's cheaper in the long run, has amazing memory, and that Home thing is coming out soon which is going to be amazing!!
    cheaper in the long run.... explain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

sprinkles wrote: »
    if you only have a ps3 you'll spend less money on games in the long run

sprinkles wrote: »
    Don't have to pay for online and you can import all your games?

threads people.... mere threads. Not a very convincing arguement.

You can import them now. Nothing to say region locks won't be put in place later.

Free online but a worse system by all accounts.

PS: There has been some serious fanboy-ism on this thread already - and it's only 2 and a half pages

that's kind of a weak argument. you could say that about rumble, wirelessness etc. etc. they could remove so much stuff to keep costs way down (a-la wii, like taking out DVD playback). but even so, the peripheral "extras" on 360 are priced extortionately, which is where MS make money back.

for gameplay itself it's the same. the thing is that PSN doesn't have the same attractions (match making, achievements etc.), but that stuff will change over time.

after the first year the only things 360 had that were system sellers were gears and oblivion, one of which is now on ps3 anyway, and both (come november) will be on pc.

you can't compare viva pinata to the games i listed for ps3, or the sims. viva pinata was bought by your sister and 12 ex rare employees worldwide, despite having a tv show to back it. the 360's market is to "hardcore" shooter fans, for the most part.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Halo Wars, Splinter Cell Conviction, Banjo-Kazooie 3, Alan Wake, Fable 2, Huxely, Left 4 Dead, Too Human, All Points Bulletin?

splinter cell and banjo kazooie you've got me on, but isn't alan wake out on PC too? halo wars looks a bit "meh" and l4d is a PC game for me! although fable2 will be the greatest creation ever, god will cry because of it (so we're told :p)
    Bioware have said Microsoft will be "a long-term partner on Mass Effect." btw

yeah i'm going to call biowares bluff on that. it was true, and chances are mass effect will only be on 360/PC (maybe)... but sequels will probably find their way on every machine in the world, including DS. EA are now the owners of bioware, and microsoft (afaik) do not own the "mass effect" IP, unlike "halo".

you can't compare viva pinata to the games i listed for ps3, or the sims. viva pinata was bought by your sister and 12 ex rare employees worldwide, despite having a tv show to back it. the 360's market is to "hardcore" shooter fans, for the most part.
    Ahem, Viva Pinata was great and kept me entertained all last Christmas.
    but isn't alan wake out on PC too?
    Yep, but this thread is about PS3 or 360 and Alan Wake is a big game for the 360.
    halo wars looks a bit "meh"
    So is GT5 to me but its still banded around as a big exclusive.

I have to agree with Ciaran500, I myself have about 50+hrs put into Viva Pinata, one of the most addictive games ever.
    Oh, but I forgot, if projectmayhem doesn't like it, its overhyped crap or undersold garbage :rolleyes:

Other 360 exclusives include Marvel Universe Online (MMO), whatever Peter Jackson is working on. the DLC for GTA IV...
    And I'd be willing to bet that almost all non 1st party exclusives on the PS3 will be timed only.

This can be done to death.

Xbox360

Cheaper
    More games
    Great exclusives already available - more exclusives in the pipeline
    Rumble feature
    Tried and tested on-line (Xbox Live)
    Comfortable controllers

PS3

Blueray included
    More than 4 controllers can be synced
    Some exclusives out already - more to follow
    Tilt contoller
    Free online

Both consoles have Fifa etc. Both have backwards compatibility issues.

Simple answer imo is the 360 is better now. The PS3 may be better in the future but lets wait and see before making that claim.

Oh and Transformers isn't available on Blueray :)

I have to agree with Ciaran500, I myself have about 50+hrs put into Viva Pinata, one of the most addictive games ever.
    Oh, but I forgot, if projectmayhem doesn't like it, its overhyped crap or undersold garbage :rolleyes:

not entirely sure where that last sentence is coming from but anyway, viva pinata wasn't very good. the fact that despite having a TV series to promote it, it still sold about 12 copies worldwide. my point though, wasn't necessarily that viva pinata was a collosal waste of my time (i could just do some real gardening and feel like a real man with a pink sweater) but rather that the 360 market is very well defined as being a market you buy the unreal engine for and try to copy gears of war, but in first-person mode.
    And I'd be willing to bet that almost all non 1st party exclusives on the PS3 will be timed only.

how much?
    So is GT5 to me but its still banded around as a big exclusive.

is halo wars actually a big exclusive though? i love my halo, and halo wars seems like a good idea being executed by the wrong people. age of empires is too slow paced a game to be converted over to halo wars (which is essentially what is happening here)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Out of interest where did you read about APB?

All of the game's official material and website have removed references to the 360 btw, though I honestly don't know what the long term plans are.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

PC \o/

• Advertisement

viva pinata wasn't very good. the fact that despite having a TV series to promote it, it still sold about 12 copies worldwide.
    Lots of sales = good game? Viva Pinata was fantastic and if you look around on forums I'm far from alone, it sold **** all cause it had zero marketing behind it and it was in the market at the same time as Gears.
    is halo wars actually a big exclusive though? i love my halo, and halo wars seems like a good idea being executed by the wrong people. age of empires is too slow paced a game to be converted over to halo wars (which is essentially what is happening here)...
    Seems to be plenty of people excited about it when it was announced. Way to early to discount it either way.
    Out of interest where did you read about APB?

All of the game's official material and website have removed references to the 360 btw, though I honestly don't know what the long term plans are.
    Haven't been keeping up with it so just from memory.

not entirely sure where that last sentence is coming from but anyway, viva pinata wasn't very good. the fact that despite having a TV series to promote it, it still sold about 12 copies worldwide. my point though, wasn't necessarily that viva pinata was a collosal waste of my time (i could just do some real gardening and feel like a real man with a pink sweater) but rather that the 360 market is very well defined as being a market you buy the unreal engine for and try to copy gears of war, but in first-person mode.

I take it then that you've never played Viva Pinata since the game has very little gardening in it, and even most of that can be handed off to NPCs.

For such a bad game, it seems to have gotten good reviews and lots of awards:
    wikipedia wrote:
    Reception
    Many gamers and gaming journalists proclaim that Viva Piñata is one of Rare's best outings yet, with IGN saying that it is the best Rare game since Microsoft acquired the company in 2002. In addition to IGN's positive 8.5 rating, it has received an 8.3 from GameSpot, a 9/10 from 1UP.com, and an 8.7 overall from Electronic Gaming Monthly. The game scores 84% on Metacritic based on 51 reviews, and an 85% on Game Rankings. In addition, GameSpot included it as one of their 10 nominees for their "2006 Game of the Year" award, although it later received only 3% of the total votes.

While published sales figures for the game appear relatively low and failed to gather as much momentum as Nintendo's Pokémon craze, Justin Cook(of Rare) insists that the game has sold "close to half a million".

Awards

Viva Piñata was nominated for 6 awards by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences for its 10th annual awards covering 2006, the most nominations a Rare title has had since Goldeneye 007. Nominated categories included:

* Console Game of the Year
    * Outstanding Innovation in Gaming
    * Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction
    * Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Female (won)
    * Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering
    * Family Game of the Year

The game was also nominated for "Best Original Game" in X-Play's "Best Video Games of 2006" awards. Other accolades include a "Parents' Choice Gold Award" from the Parents' Choice Foundation.

I'm sure I seen plenty of other awards also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

-

Couldn't agree more. Viva Pinata is one of the most underated games of the current generation. What's not to like about forcing animals to inter-bred with their own children before murdering their unholy spawn to feast on the sweets inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

having read all the posts here and myself being in the market for either a 360 or ps3, I think I will probably go for the Ps3.

Something about it seems better!

and projektmayhem is a nerd!! :D howdy mate

Can I ask you why? I'm not being a fanboy or anything here just interested as to why people seem to be going for the PS3 more

360 reliability problems? Recognisable games on the PS3? Its a Playstation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

having played both consoles alot Id say the 360 wins hands down. Much more games and some great games, over the past 3 months there has been so many high quality games coming out for the 360. Ive never had to buy any accessories for my 360 either as I dont need them.

I think the argument that 'the ps3 comes with a bluray player' is not really a good selling point, Ive seen the quality of bluray on my m8's ps3 and as good as it is, it doesnt warrant paying 45euro per movie in hmv on bluray when you can get the equivalent standard dvd versions for sometimes quarter the price or less. DVD has a very good image quality still and the difference in quality between the 2 systems isnt enough for me to warrant paying an extra 30 euro per movie just for a higher resolution picture. If hd-dvd and bluray movies become widespread and as cheap as dvd films only then will I take them seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Long time gamer, loved and had all sony's stuff: ps1, ps2, psp.
    Didn't like the original xbox.

I'd recommend the 360.

it's just better.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

As someone who doesnt intend buying a 360 or PS3 for a long time.. or ever....

I would go for the Xbox 360, it has a much better catalog of games and its cheaper..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 yallingup

The man seems to have made up his mind ... but as someone who plays most new releases on both machines, the 360 nearly always has the edge IMHO.

From graphics to online play, the PS3 always seems to be playing catch-up. Of all recent releases, only R6 Vegas on PS3 impressed me as being better-looking than on 360. This may or may not always be the case, obviously.

But the PS3 catalogue is looking woefully thin over the next few months when you whittle it down to both exclusive and must-have. MGS4? Delayed. Ratchet and Clank? Underwhelming. Etc. Etc.

Hardware issues (Blu-ray, overheating, etc) are all secondary (ie, solvable or irrelevant) and you should make your judgment on the games alone.

Advertisement