Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes C250 Sports Turbo Diesel

Options
  • 30-10-2007 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

i have recently got my full licence so am in the market for a car with a bit more poke.
    i have been looking at a C250 2.5 ltr TD Auto for a good price, my question is however, is this too much car to go from a 1.3 fiesta?
    im a good safe driver with a good few years experiance and the car will mostly be for the weekends and evenings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm not quite sure that I understand your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

What's your budget? If you can afford to go from a fiesta to a C250 ( engine wise ) there will be far better cars you could buy with that engine size. Besides, that C250 TD engine is donkey years old.

If you can afford to tax/insure a 2.5L TD look for one of the more modern 1.9/2L Turbo diese engines that will put out the same if not more power then that old lump. Something about a 5-CYL diesel turns me off.

I guess I should start by asking whats your budget?

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭silver haze

my question is "is this too much power increase to go from a 1.3 to 2.5 TD?"

my budget is really only about €5-7K and the merc im looking at is at the very low end of that spectrum.

the only thing putting me of is the fact that its an auto.

i was planning on bringing in a 98/99 BMW 318 is from England, i know i should be goin for the 325 but its the fuel costs id be worried about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm still not with you? You decide how much power to use, not the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

my budget is really only about €5-7K and the merc im looking at is at the very low end of that spectrum.

With a budget like that i'd assume that your maintenance/upkeep budget also isn't the biggest?

In that case stay away from the Merc. Tax/insurance will be expensive, so will servicing.

"Power" out of the ancient 2.5TD isn't all that overwhelming ...especially from a cost / benefit point of view.

Get yourself something zippy in 1.6 or 1.8 petrol around the 100-120 bhp mark.
    That'll be enough of a power upgrade from your fiesta to keep you happy for a while but still keeps running costs at reasonable values.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

If you want a bit of go + good economy + realistic price, I'd be looking at something like a Seat Toledo tdi (the 110bhp one). There should be something in your price range to suit. Plenty of poke, and a much more desireable 1.9l engine from tax and resale viewpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

According to my old man the 1.9 TDI 110(110 bhp) is like a rocket compared to my 1.8 S40(125 bhp) and is very quick compared to his 1.8 Avensis(127 bhp).

As for the W202 C250 Turbodiesel, the C220 CDI has the same power but is much quieter and more economical, but the 250 has a nicer noise owing to the fact it has an extra cylinder. Its a simpler design, so might be easier(and cheaper) to fix when things go wrong too.

I'd be having a 320i if you're going for a 3 series(don't bother with a 4 cylinder, you'll be shot on Motors for wanting a 4 cylinder 3 series unless its a diesel:D, but seriously they're supposed to be slow and really won't live up to the Ultimate Driving Machine adage), you'll still have an engine with plenty of go, and all the benefits of 6 cylinder motoring as I described above with the 520i, and it will be cheaper to run and easier to sell on owing to the fact it has a smaller engine than the 325i.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't the C250 D auto an old school diesel?

If so I would image there would not be a world of difference between it and a 1.3 Fiesta, in flat out acceleration terms anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's still 150bhp though. (seeing as it's a C250 TD)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    it's still 150bhp though. (seeing as it's a C250 TD)

I was thinking it was the old unit from the early to mid 1990s.

• Advertisement

OP is talking about the turbodiesel though! But it is an old skool diesel(no common rail, 2 valves per cylinder etc) and it has 122 bhp, as opposed to the C250 Diesels 84 bhp(I think)

Edit: I see colm_mcm says it had 150 bhp,I always thought it had 122, because I remember the time the 220 CDI came out, and I could have sworn they both had the same power output, thats not to say I'm right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is that not for the normally aspirated 250?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

To clear some confusion thats going about. The OP seems to have specified he is after the C250 2.5L Turbo Diesel unit. This is a 150BHP unit.
    http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=109120

There is a N/a C250 Diesel (that seems to be more common) that has a 115Bhp output. This appears not to be what the OP has his eyes on.
    http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=6820

Both appear to be the same 5-Cyl 20v units accept the Turbo diesel version with the addition of a turbo. Which I guess isn't too bad, but again I'd still lean towards a more modern, smaller and more refined turbo diesel.

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

the only thing putting me of is the fact that its an auto.

i was planning on bringing in a 98/99 BMW 318 is from England, i know i should be goin for the 325 but its the fuel costs id be worried about there.

No offence but you're kinda all over the place here...

First off - big old buses like the Merc won't be that engaging to drive and won't exactly be zippy. It's a motorway muncher.
    Is going from a 1.3 to a 2.5TD a lot? Yes...it is...if you're relatively inexperienced and your only car to date has been a 1.3.

If you have a small budget you also need to think about upkeep etc...an old car could prove to be a very expensive hobby.
    Also...note that I don't know your age, but a lot of insurance companies will load you because you don't have a big no claims with full license. If I were you I'd rethink this whole thing...decide what you want from a car. Not just a bit more poke...the whole deal...costs etc. Look at what you can afford to be forking out...an older Jap car might be a better option. 99 318 is dull as dishwater I think....

I drive a 325Ci now...but then I'm 32 and I'm still paying in the region of 700 lids for insurance and even with a fairly decent income costs can be a bit of a kick in the teeth now and again....

My apologies, the C250 TD was indeed 150 bhp, and the 220 CDI was 122 bhp. The C250 D was 114 bhp.

HungryJoey is correct.

Advertisement