Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sum1 plz help, need advice about a model heli!

• 30-10-2007 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi, i was jst wonderin cud any1 tell me where or wat kind of model heli i could get!!

its for a present and all i know is that he wants a remote control model helicoptor that runs on petrol?!

he has never owned one before and i was hopin sumone might be able to offer sum suggestions as i cant ask him as it is a surprise, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Before going any further, ask yourself this:

Do I want to spend €1000 plus on him?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leigh87

are they that expensive?? :eek::D

are there any really gud electric ones then lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

leigh87 wrote: »

No, I think the turbine models cost €5k or more...:cool:

I'm sure there are proper electric helis, but to get likewise performance you'd probably have to spend just as much initially.

If he's new to nitro (aka "petrol";)) / helis or both, I'd recommend starting of with a "cheaper" electric model.

<<<Yes experience don't come cheap>>>:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I think its a really bad idea to go off and buy someone a present of an RC heli.
    Its one of those purchases that without research, advice, and knowing what you want, you can get badly stung with a piece of crap that will end up in the shed after a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Advise already given is good, they are expensive (nitro or electric) and do need a lot of research. I would recommend buying him an RC simulator for the PC to get him started. Reflex XTR and Phoenix RC are both good but I would recommend Real Flight G3.5 (or the new 4 version) as it comes with a controller, just plug and play. This should give him a feel for the real thing and the practice on the sim will stand to him if he does buy the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

No they are both dearer, and a lot cheaper.
    But it depends on size.

A FULL HELI OUTFIT could go from €80 (plastic toys) to €150-€250 (entry level electric that flys properly) up to €900 (electric with nitro power or the small nitro ones) and up to €1250-1350 (nitro in the "50-60 size" that works best for that type of engine)
    In all those cases the full price is more than the cost of the heli because you need other items like fuelling up gear, chargers, etc. The prices I gave are what it ends up at once you are flying.

This is what the lowest interesting type look like. It can't cope with a breeze at all, but is cool indoors, not too dear, and everybody can fly them after ABOUT A HALF HOUR PRACTISE. Video of Carson Apache here It's out of the toys, but not quite into the hard core RC model helis.

Electric helis will be similar price as nitro helis if they are to have the same power and weight.
    BUT that is too much power and too heavy a model for a learner.
    So if it is a new learner situation ... take a look at the smaller electric helis.
    (I am not talking about the "toy" products now ....)

A smaller lighter electric heli will not fly in an outdors breeze, that's for sure, but it will fly outside in calm conditions, and will fly in gardens, school & parish halls, large sheds, etc.

More info on model helicopters here

Beginner heli suggestions:
    If it is a "first flying model" heli (never did plane or heli before) you need a "fixed pitch" heli, like the Twister V2, Carson Air of similar. Cost ranges from E150 - 250.
    If he has ALREADY LEARNED TO FLY planes, but is new to helis, then a "collective pitch" heli is the correct choice .. eg a Twister 3D or Carson Bluster 400 3D for €500
    or (just possibly) a bigger Logo 10 for about €900 but now we have arrived into the same size, power and costs as nitro helis .. and that is a lot for a beginner to be bashing about while they learn. ;) And at that power an instructor would be necesary to protect the machine while the learning is going on. Some clubs instruct for free.

More info on model helicopters here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trudnai

I have just bought a dirty cheep USB controller from eBay, which supplied with FMS. The controller is ok, except it's a mod2 plane controller and is not so easy to modify to heli one. I know FMS is not the best simulator around, but for a start it do, to learn hovering for a beginner is perfect.

Tamas

Advertisement