Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying Budgie Help Needed

• 30-10-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

My Mothers 3 year old budgie keeps falling off its perch & is barely moving for the past 24 hours :( , it's just lying on the bottom of the cage shaking:eek:

My mother now wants me to "Put it out of its misery!!" :eek: I haven't a clue as to what the most humane way to this would be can anyone advise as I really feel sorry for the poor bird to see it suffering.

We have phoned the shop where it was bought & they have suggested wringing its neck!! :eek: I don't particularily fancy doing this at all.

Would it be fairer to the poor creature to leave it suffer & die of it's own accord ??

Any suggestions would be very appreciated....

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The vet can put it to sleep with an injection ...or possibly even help it get better (depending on what's wrong with it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

I'm going out on a limb here......maybe a vet could help you ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Edit: No thanks very much.

Next time a ban will be in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh god, please please please dont use a ********* or wring his neck, take him out of the cage and put him into a dark box, with tissue (and air holes) then bring him to the vet. Please dont kill him, poor thing! Thats a little life you're talking about ending, no ******** or strangling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭hotredhead

take him to the vet.we had the same problem a few months back with our budgie.vet took him in for a couple of days put him on a drip and now he is better than ever,whats more it only cost 30 euro.so please take him to the vet.dont kill him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

treat him the way you would treat your mother ;)

Get him to a vet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Thanks to all for your replies,
    I'm going to bring the bird to a vet later this afternoon as I do not think I could go through with putting it out of its misery myself.......

<Anyone know what the approx vets fees are these days ? >
    Thanks hotredhead for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Let us know what the vet said or if the poor thing needed to be PTS.

I am not happy that another moderator comes on here & suggested an inhuman end to this birds life, in future please do not post, or I will be forced to ban you.

I will not tolerate discussions on inhuman way to end any animals life! The vet will always be the way to humanly end an animals suffering.

you can be not happy all you like bond. the OP asked stated how to put it out of its misery my first point was bring to a vet and failing that well you know the rest (unless you can think of a quicker way)

i also fail to see where my post was actually against the charter as theres nothing in there about putting pets "out of their misery" as the OP said. though you might want to in future ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

miju wrote: »
    you can be not happy all you like bond. the OP asked stated how to put it out of its misery my first point was bring to a vet and failing that well you know the rest (unless you can think of a quicker way)

i also fail to see where my post was actually against the charter as theres nothing in there about putting pets "out of their misery" as the OP said. though you might want to in future ;)

Actually Miju this quote from the charter covers it quite well and was put in there at a time when we had all sorts of crap regarding "humane" shooting of animals.
    This forum has gotten out of hand lately with all the animal cruelty crap.

From now on any more condoning animal cruelty including the likes of greyhounds,farmers shooting so called "useless" animals etc.etc (you get the idea) will not be tolerated.
    Poster will be banned without warning.
    Consider this the final word on the matter.

This also goes for those people who post in another forum (AH anyone) to try and get around the rules.
    Your thread will be moved here eventually and then you`ll be banned.
    Richie

• Advertisement

this is going way off topic and i dont particularly want to drag it any further off topic so i'll drop it after this post. but that to me (which I actually did read before posting btw) indicates useless animals in the context of lame dogs, horses etc etc. perhaps you should clarify it better

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Read into it what ever way you want.The suggestion that you made earlier is a banable offence-which btw Im still considering.Just cos your a mod elsewhere doesnt mean anything in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lynnlegend

which is worse killing in a humane way or letting an animal suffer becaues you wont do what needs to be done not trying to wind anyone this time its just a quick question whats the votes

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Read into it what ever way you want.The suggestion that you made earlier is a banable offence-which btw Im still considering.Just cos your a mod elsewhere doesnt mean anything in this forum.

Eh really I had no idea I was a normal user outside of the forums I mod :rolleyes:. Anyways, ban away Hellrazer as like I said I've not broken the charter (as mods here have obviously not made something clear enough in the first place) and will happily bring it to feedback and continue this on there rathing from dragging this even further off topic.. I'm not looking for an argument but if you want to insist on creating one then fine.
    lynnlegend wrote: »
    which is worse killing in a humane way or letting an animal suffer becaues you wont do what needs to be done not trying to wind anyone this time its just a quick question whats the votes

the issue here is not one of refusing to something that needs to be done. it was merely a suggestion of bringing it to the vet or taking the DIY approach

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lynnlegend

yes i know should have started a new thread it was meant as a new question

miju wrote: »
    happily bring it to feedback and continue this on there rathing from dragging this even further off topic.. I'm not looking for an argument but if you want to insist on creating one then fine.

Miju--Sounds to me like you ARE looking for an argument.The charter is specific in that "From now on any more condoning animal cruelty ............will not be tolerated"

Your suggestion is downright animal cruelty.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement