Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applied for my second provisional last week, what should I expect in the post?

Options
  • 30-10-2007 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

A second provisional or some sort of learners permit?! o.0 I just bought a car (and had applied for the test a few months ago anyways) Will I be able to drive on my own?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vroomfondel

cuaifeadh wrote: »
    A second provisional or some sort of learners permit?! o.0 I just bought a car (and had applied for the test a few months ago anyways) Will I be able to drive on my own?

Reading the RSA FAQ again, it seems to directly contradict itself.

Firstly it states:
    A person while holding a second learner permit or second provisional licence can drive unaccompanied in the period up to 30 June 2008.

So that seems to suggest that if you are issued with a second learner permit, you are OK, but then:
    A person whose provisional licence has now lapsed but who held a provisional licence at any time in the five year period prior to 30 October 2007 can renew their licence by getting a learner permit before the five year limit expires. The learner permit in that case will not be considered a first time learner permit. While driving this person must be accompanied by a person who holds a full driving licence (no minimum period necessary) in the category.

Reading this it seems that if you renew your licence, it's not considered a first time permit, suggesting that it's a second permit, but you still need to be accompanied?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Seems it's only people who have an existing second provisional that can drive unaccompanied. A second permit doesn't have that priviledge unfortunately :( oh i don't know, it's confusing

Advertisement