Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Granny's computer issue...

Options
  • 30-10-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Ok so it's for my Granny who is nearly 80, she uses her comp for small things, but the internet is an important part.

She had a delll pc 512mb ram and 80gb harddrive, when one day it wouldn't boot up, I went and had a look, and realised it was beyond me, so my uncle took it to some people in drogheda who said her computer was ****ed, and that they could only give her this replacement. Now, I can't specifically remember what problem it was, but one of her core windows files went missing, so the computer wouldn't boot.

As far as I know, I'm sure they could have wiped the HD and reinstalled Windows. But anyway, I think they scammed us. So they took my Granny's computer and replaced it with some other dell 256mb ram and 10gb harddrive.

Now she had Norton IS on the other one and a bunch of other programs which just won't run happily on a HD that small.

Now my computer hardware knowledge just isnt that great, and I don't know how easy it would be for me to get another hd and put it in, she doesnt need anything huge, like a 20/40gb HD would be perfect.

She doesn't have a huge amount of money, so that's why I'm kinda trying to see if I can do this myself.

Does anyone have any idea as to whether or not this would be possible? Or perhaps PM me with information or recommendation of someone in the south side area who would be able to do this for me for a reasonable price!

Thanks guys!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If I were you I would go get the old PC back. If there was a windows file missing, all it needed was a reformat and a reinstall.

For a new HD though, check one up on www.komplett.ie or similar site. If its an old computer it more than likely has an IDE connection. They are very easy to install: Open case, screw HD in, attach connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Smiley012 wrote: »
    But anyway, I think they scammed us.
    Completely. I'd go back and demand they return your Granny's PC. And if they don't have it (they probably sold it on), demand that they upgrade the PC they gave you to the same specs. I wouldn't let them get away with that. And feel free to name and shame them here.

As for upgrading the HD yourself, it's dead easy to do, just a matter of opening the case, removing the old HD and a few screws, insert new harddrive and connecting a couple of cables and that's it. You say it's a Dell, if you give the model number more than likely I can link you to the manual that will show you how to do it step by step.

Oh and I see you're in Stillorgan. I'd be happy to fit a new HD for you, no fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Oh wow guys, thanks for the great replies :)

It is a dell, I'll find out what model it is, next time I'm up in her house. Yeah, see cos my uncle took it in, into Drogheda, I have no idea of the name of the computer place or I'd completely name and shame.

Apparently they've sorted out computers for my uncle before so he thinks they're great and still are. So I don't particularly know how I can demand back myself. Also, it's been a few months, so I doubt I have a leg to stand on!

I'll find out the specific model number, then let you guys know, you can then let me know what HD I need to get, and I'll get one no problem. It's my Granny, and I feel sorry that this has happened to her. So I want to rectify the issue.

Also irlrobins I may very well take you up on that, what I'd appreciate is if you could show me how to do it, because I'd like to know how! I'm quite the computer geek!

I'll keep you guys informed!

Also irlrobins I may very well take you up on that, what I'd appreciate is if you could show me how to do it, because I'd like to know how! I'm quite the computer geek!
    No worries, just drop me a PM when you're ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd be interested in knowing the name of this company. I'd like to see their reaction when you tell them you're going to the tabloids with a headline like 'Computer cowboys rob pensioners blind' or some such. Obviously, they saw an opportunity to profit from your lack of knowledge. If it was a windows file missing, that could have been sorted no problems. A PC with a 10gb, provided that the HD is the standard one that came with it, would probably mean it's an old P3, worth about 30-50 euro, much older then the machine you gave in. They just saw $$ and deliberately ripped you off.

I hope you can pursue this. I woudn't particularly care about the fact it's been a few months, I'd go in there, tell them you've since spoken to a tech person and realised you were conned. If it was my Granny, I'd spare no time in making a large fuss in store, in front of other customers, using the words 'Robbed' and 'My 80 year old granny'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

HavoK wrote: »
    I'd be interested in knowing the name of this company. I'd like to see their reaction when you tell them you're going to the tabloids with a headline like 'Computer cowboys rob pensioners blind' or some such. Obviously, they saw an opportunity to profit from your lack of knowledge. If it was a windows file missing, that could have been sorted no problems. A PC with a 10gb, provided that the HD is the standard one that came with it, would probably mean it's an old P3, worth about 30-50 euro, much older then the machine you gave in. They just saw $$ and deliberately ripped you off.

I hope you can pursue this. I woudn't particularly care about the fact it's been a few months, I'd go in there, tell them you've since spoken to a tech person and realised you were conned. If it was my Granny, I'd spare no time in making a large fuss in store, in front of other customers, using the words 'Robbed' and 'My 80 year old granny'.

Totally agree with this.I wouldn't let scumbags like that away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Computer cowboys

Definitely.
    A shame it happened but there is cowboys/scum out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

Isn't your Granny great being on a computer at her age, fair play to her and irlrobins, that's so nice of you to offer to fit a HD. If only the people who had scammed them in the first place were so nice.

May they turn their ankles quite badly :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Some story, I have to agree with the name-and-shame votes. Get your own back on the scummy scam artists. Threatening them with the tabloids will surely land your Granny a fixed PC of at leats the specs she had originally. Threatening them with the €3000 fine courtesy of www.nca.ie may do the same. :)

thanks for the genuinely nice responses guys, i do appreciate it. see, I dont speak to my uncle that much, so it'll be a while before i know the name of the computer company, i'll see if I can find an excuse to talk to him...

I did say at the time that he had been scammed and conned and he said he hadn't. i was like, eh, we just got a computer back with ****ty specs in comparison to the one she did have! I think they saw him coming to be honest. It makes me so mad to think about it!! :mad::mad::mad:

I'd say that I would take it somewhere to get it sorted.. but no, he wanted to do it.

it seems like it was an old networked computer if u know what i mean, from what i can gather, as it's XP, 10gb HD, and like 5GB is already used up due to the OS and small other programs and there's ****e all u can do with 5GB. see I dont have it in front of me, and obviously she's not connected to the internet because it won't run Norton and she doesn't want a virus.

She loves her computer and spends hours on it playing cards, etc, and it upset me hugely to see this happen to her. She's a techno granny, and uses email etc to say in contact with family around the world.

Irlrobins, I'm popping up to my Grannys tomorrow to see the exact model, then you guys can tell me what HD I need, and then I'll contact Irlrobins to organise a meet :)

thanks for the support guys!

• Advertisement

and then I'll contact Irlrobins to organise a meet :)
    Grand, drop me a PM when you're ready

So my Granny's computer is a Dimension 2400. It's an intel celeron 2.20Ghz, 256mb ram and 10Gb HDD.

Can anyone advise me on the best HDD to buy?

Also, I have the service tag, can I do anything with this?

Thanks guys!

If you go here and enter the service tag you can see the original spec. Bet you a fiver it didn't come with a 10Gig HD when it was first shipped.

I doubt your Granny has a super big media collection so I'm guessing something in the region of 40-80Gb would be more then enough storage for her. Something like this would be fine

Wow yeah, said it originally had an 80GB HDD, interestin huh! Dunno what I can do with that information, but that's fascinating.

I was comparing prices, and I think I may pick her up a slightly bigger HDD, just cos prices are so similar, also that one is currently out of stock, so I'll see what else I can get!

Thanks for the help :)

You're welcome, I'll be over to pick up my fiver soon. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,257 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

depending where you buy, it might actually be cheaper to buy something like a 120gb or 200gb drive than an 80gb, even though the extra space probably won't be needed

cheapest in maplin is 200gb
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12754&MenuName=3.5%20Inch%20ATA%20Internal%20Desktop%20Hard%20Drives&FromMenu=y&worldid=-3&doy=12m11

3.5" ide drive (or 3.5" pata drive as some places call it)

It's only got a 2Mb cache buffer. Look for one with 8MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't let the issue with the guys that did this slide.

Check out adverts.ie, lots of cheap hardware always sold over there. Another 256mb of ram to bring it to 512 will improve things as well for about 12-18 euro on adverts too, for her use anything beyond probably wouldn't be noticed anyway.

Use AVG anti-virus instead of Norton, Norton is a resource hog and just plain annoying at the best of times.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320712

hows that?

also, whats the difference between IDE and Serial ATA? if anyone doesnt mind filling me in!

Hope you guys don't mind helping me out, I don't know a huge amount about hardware, and I'd love to learn, so it's a learning curve for me.

Also, I just want to make sure I definitely get the right one! :)

• Advertisement

Another 256mb of ram to bring it to 512 will improve things as well
    Oh yea good point, meant to say this to you earlier. A bit of RAM would help it run smoothly.

also, whats the difference between IDE and Serial ATA? if anyone doesnt mind filling me in!
    From de web:
    SATA stands for serial ATA, which is a fairly new interface found on newer motherboards.

Plain old ATA, sometimes called parallel ATA, is another term for the older IDE interface, which has been around for many years.

What you need to keep in mind is that you can only use the type of hard drive which matches your motherboard. If your system has a regular IDE connecter, you need a regular ATA drive. If you machine has the SATA connector, you need a SATA drive.

The newer interface supports faster throughput, easier recognition of multiple drives and greater reliability, but none of that is really important from the average end-user's standpoint.

IDE and ATA are essentially different abbreviations for the same thing.

That drive would be more than adequate.

Thanks Irlrobins, you're a legend!

Stop flirting, I said I'd come over and fit it ages ago... ;)

:p lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Older boards had problems with drives over 127GB, anyone here know if the Dimension 2400 was one of them?

The 2400 has native 48-bit LBA addressing, so there is no realistic internal limit. Apart from the limit the OS might have. But XP SP2 certainly handles drives larger than 127GB.

Advertisement