Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony KDL-40S3000 €1100

• 30-10-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Been scouting shops looking for good bargains.

Several shops and Sony centres in Cork have this offer. It's pretty good considering that that it is a 2007 model with 3 HDMI ports. Tempting. It is 1366x768 non FullHD, but at normal viewing distances most people would not notice.

Also, Curry's have (at least until today) a Sharp 37XD1E FullHD (1920x1080) TV for €999. It's a little cheeky of them to call this "new technology" since it was released a year ago, however nevertheless last year the RRP was over €2000. It just shows how prices are dropping.

The Sony centres also have a free Bluray player/PS3 with the V and W 3000 models. However at 2100 and 2700 I would not class these as bargains.

Finally several shops are now selling the Samsung le40m87 for around €1600. This is the TV with the glossy screen which gives a better contrast ratio. I'm pondering whether this is sufficiently better than the 40S3000 to justify the extra €500. Incidentally has anyone seen the new Samsung le40f86 on sale? Not available in Cork anyhow...

I'll add that I'm not against buying from the internet but with delivery the costs are not that much more to go to a shop.

Ix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

The Sharp 37XD1E FullHD for a grand is an awesome deal....

The sony one is meh....Would expect full hd for anything over a grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

From the 8 stores I visited, the cheapest Full HD models were

37" Sharp XD1E 999
    37" Toshiba x3030d 1369
    40" Sony w2000 (model replaced by w3000) 1299
    40" Samsung m87 1599

So, it's hard to get a FullHD model for under a grand. If I compare the Sharp to the S3000 Sony, I'd go for the Sony... 3" bigger... newer model... 3 HDMI ports (instead of 2)... better blacks and contrast due to S-PVA panel... 1:1 pixel-mapping for PC use (even though the resolution is lower... the Sharp will only accept 1360x768).

Yes, FullHD 1920x1080 is better, but most people will not notice the difference and I would not rule out a bargain like the Sony. For me the M87 might be worth it, but not for the resolution, rather for the glossy screen.

Ix.

Advertisement