Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roma beggars at the door

Options
  • 30-10-2007 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to write "No begging" in Romanian? I live in the CC and get them almost every day now. Ringing like there's a fire and then holding up some fecking note. I just shout "NO!" now but it'd be nice with a sign so they feck off before ringing the door.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Daub your doorway in menstrual blood, apparently they have cultural objections to that, lord knows why. You'll also need bottles of water to keep the dogs away from the bloody markings though, and razorwire fencing to stop the knacks stealing your bottles of water. You may as well roof over the whole thing to stop the razorwire from rusting as well, and some spiky nails on top like in the train station to stop birds defecating on the entire affair.

That should about do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Surely you're getting these are Roma beggars ??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks for pointing that out. OP edited

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I just had a mad old guy in the shop ranting about them - I've never seen the guy before, but he was telling me that he wanted to start punching them in the street!

He came in asking me could I see a splinter in his finger that had been there for 6 months, and called me "doctor"; I work in a jewellery shop, and I certainly wouldn't ever take medical advicce from me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'm sick of meeting the perky one on Middle Street all the time: "Hello, child. You're very nice". How many dirty looks do I have to give?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try taking their notice, and either burning it, or binning it. Be very offensive and rude, and they don't tend to come back.

Apparently their language is not Romanian either but Romani.
    Analysis of the Romani language has shown that it is closely related to those spoken in central and northern India, Punjabi in particular.

I'll just get a sign:

no_begging.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

ethernet wrote: »
    I'm sick of meeting the perky one on Middle Street all the time: "Hello, child. You're very nice". How many dirty looks do I have to give?!

Isn't that one of the guys collecting for Amnesty/Hanley Centre/Shop St cause-of-the-week??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I want to get a note that says " I was just about to ask you the same thing.. :eek: Small world eh.."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've only ever got one to the door, last XMAS.

A big loud 'Hullo' with some sob fcuking story note. Get a job like the rest of us ye bollix, or at least get off my doorstep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Get the odd one in Renmore, who are promptly told where to go.
    If they were calling everyday, I would seriously put a swastika on the front door and answer the door with shotgun in hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

do you not have one of them wee hole yokes that you can see who's outside?

Nah, I got one of them doors with bathroom glass so I can just see an outline of a persons head.
    Besides, I kinda want to print a few so I can give some to the neighbours too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

biko wrote: »
    I'll just get a sign:

no_begging.jpg
    That will just tell them that you operate a Tube station called No Begging, on the District and Pikey line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Even worse IMHO is the bloodt students trying to sell me art
    If you say no then they insist on showing you "so you can admire it" etc

No, I don't want to pay you for some crappy "modern art" tat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Fey! wrote: »
    Isn't that one of the guys collecting for Hanley Centre??? :D

Scam of the Century...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

Excellent sign, intend to print a small version and laminate it, to keep in my pocket.. saves on conversation with these imports. must also get one that says "No I don't care if your babies starve and no I don't have money for milk"
    also reminds me to thank Govt. for making begging legal as a form of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Sorry, but where is the CC?

City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

You're refering to those gypsie types? ****ers make me want to gouge my ears out when I hear them with their accordian/tin-whistle/violin on shop-street.

• Advertisement

Apparently this means No Begging.

Rughisarastume
    Nai voia
    Te mangăn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

biko wrote: »
    Apparently this means No Begging.

Rughisarastume
    Nai voia
    Te mangăn

Or the internationally recognised lump hammer to the temple.

One of them tried coming to my door once, as I was walking in as well. I just turned around, gave them a look that said, "if you come near me I will do mean and nasty things to you" and said, "NO!"

I haven't had any trouble since funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

One of them tried coming to my door once, as I was walking in as well. I just turned around, gave them a look that said, "if you come near me I will do mean and nasty things to you" and said, "NO!"

I haven't had any trouble since funnily enough.

Oooh, I bet that was a scary look! ;)

Oooh, I bet that was a scary look! ;)

If looks could kill, it would've wiped out China :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

plain and simple, your just gonna have to act like a complete prick.nothing says i dont liek you like a wet willy IMO, if that doesnt work well then open the door, take a photo (with a flash for effect) that shout threatening remarks, that may freak him out enough.if that doesnt work well then your gonna have to resort to mind games.maybe try dressing like him and doing exactly what he does so he may think he's standing in a mirror.

i dunno im all out of ideas now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

One of them woke me up the other day by continually ringing the doorbell for 2 ****ing minutes. Nice to know I'm not the only asshole who has no time for their crap:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Had one of these greasy headed f*ckers today. I live in Oranmore and popped home at 1pm for my dinner. I had barely shut the door when there was a knock. I ignored it at first but he was not for giving up so i went out. He mumbled something and tried to hand me a note. Door was promptly slammed in his face. I watched him then going around the other houses, he had a good look in some windows too which was a bit disturbing. I hope breaking in is not one of their habits too.

Why do these people come here if they can neither speak English and have not got some sort of employment lined up? (Look at the majority of other foreigners like the Polish. They have some grasp of english and usually a job before they travel.) I mean can it be that bad in their home country that going to a foreign one and living like this is an attractive alternate? Knocking on strangers doors with a note......

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Had one of these greasy headed f*ckers today. I live in Oranmore and popped home at 1pm for my dinner. I had barely shut the door when there was a knock. I ignored it at first but he was not for giving up so i went out. He mumbled something and tried to hand me a note. Door was promptly slammed in his face. I watched him then going around the other houses, he had a good look in some windows too which was a bit disturbing. I hope breaking in is not one of their habits too.

Why do these people come here if they can neither speak English and have not got some sort of employment lined up? (Look at the majority of other foreigners like the Polish. They have some grasp of english and usually a job before they travel.) I mean can it be that bad in their home country that going to a foreign one and living like this is an attractive alternate? Knocking on strangers doors with a note......

Not too unlike the Irish 'beggars' in the UK, America, Australia in the late 1800's.

Some of the posts on this thread are pathetic. Fair enough, begging on a doorstep and continually ringing a doorbell is too far but I doubt very much these people do it as some kind of amusement intended to harass people. We'd be better off to remember the plight and history of our own people before outrightly condemning any other race or people for begging in a foreign country. I don't give money to beggars as it won't help them in the long run but if one calls to the door, at least try to point them in the right direction to where they can get help like a local charity instead of slamming the door in their face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Open the door naked, eating poo out of an ice cream container with "HELP ME" cut into your chest with a razor blade.
    Watch their immigrant faces chuckle when you reveal it was a joke.

Advertisement