Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roma beggars at the door

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Fair enough, begging on a doorstep and continually ringing a doorbell is too far
    And hey, its apparently illegal now too. Although begging is legal because of some numpty of a Judge, coming to your door is trespassing and can get offenders prosecuted. So feel free to point them in the direction of the squad car bearing down on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Move out to the country if they annoy you too much. That'll learn 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Haven't faced any yet on my doorstep yet but having a door slammed on them will be their reward if they show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

The ones I've encountered smell bad and they are loud. That's enough for me. Where do they think they are?

ian_m wrote: »
    The ones I've encountered smell bad and they are loud.
    I didn't know they were letting students into the Roma community these days! :eek: Standards are really slipping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

And hey, its apparently illegal now too. Although begging is legal because of some numpty of a Judge, coming to your door is trespassing and can get offenders prosecuted. So feel free to point them in the direction of the squad car bearing down on them.

Why not take out a gun and shoot them and be done with it? Like I said, people would do well to remember our own not too distant history, it wasn't long ago the Irish were looked down upon the very same way that people are talking about 'roma beggars' in this thread. It's history repeating, only now, we're the one's lucky enough to be able to slam a door in someone's face

I've never begged anyone for money, in the 1800's or otherwise. And don't give me any of that "our ancestors" crap because my ancestors clearly didn't go begging in America or England if I was born and raised in Ireland. They want money they can get jobs like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Why not take out a gun and shoot them and be done with it? Like I said, people would do well to remember our own not too distant history, it wasn't long ago the Irish were looked down upon the very same way that people are talking about 'roma beggars' in this thread. It's history repeating, only now, we're the one's lucky enough to be able to slam a door in someone's face

And slammed hard it will be ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I've never begged anyone for money, in the 1800's or otherwise. And don't give me any of that "our ancestors" crap because my ancestors clearly didn't go begging in America or England if I was born and raised in Ireland. They want money they can get jobs like the rest of us.

You seem so sure...

The fact is, I'm not wrong. As an Irish nation it's pathetic and embarrassing for anyone who considers themselves Irish to have this xenophobic attitude which is prevelant in this thread to immigrants. You're mocking the very same hardship your own people struggled through who I'm sure if they could have worked they would have and eventually prospered throughout the world. If you're big enough to slate immigrants and mock them in this thread, you should be big enough to accept you don't give a flying f*ck about your own people's history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You seem so sure...

The fact is, I'm not wrong. As an Irish nation it's pathetic and embarrassing for anyone who considers themselves Irish to have this xenophobic attitude which is prevelant in this thread to immigrants. You're mocking the very same hardship your own people struggled through who I'm sure if they could have worked they would have and eventually prospered throughout the world. If you're big enough to slate immigrants and mock them in this thread, you should be big enough to accept you don't give a flying f*ck about your own people's history
    Pwned

Also, if his Irish ancestors stayed here, chances are they benefited from the money sent back by the relatives of those who went,injecting money into the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

But... dey tauk our jaarbs! An wimmins!

Damn Australians :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bass Cadet - The Irish went to America to WORK, and MAKE money. Those Roma cnuts are breaking into our houses, robbing and begging.

There's a difference ya toolbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

Respecting the Roma here is hard when you hear these examples:

1 how about begging in the middle of a crowd while a coffin was being brought out of a church?
    2 how about a 20 year old Roma boy sneaking up behind people praying in an empty church?
    3 then saying 2 euro wasnt enough?
    4 leaving their elderly women to beg in the cold in front of Tesco Drumcondra, Easons Middle Abbey st
    5 leaving their disabled and handicaped compatriots to beg in the street?
    6 some saying living on a roundabout in Ballymun was better than living in a Romanian village where most of their community had jobs in an shoe factory...
    7 applying for Asylum here before Romania joined the EU-Romania could never be like Darfur or Sierra Leone!

the people mentionned above are the pits but to the honest ones who want to work Welcome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_%28people%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Romania#Ethnic_groups
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade_of_Roma_Inclusion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_minority_in_Romania

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I personally know of legitimate people who would like to come here to holiday and get turned away. And these Romas come here to beg. And they are still here. Does that make sense to anyone?

You seem so sure...

Call me stupid or ignorant but I really don't understand your argument. Do you think it's everybody else's responsibility to support you when you can't find work or something?

You seem so sure...

You're setting up a false argument there, comparing Irish emigrants to Roma beggars. First of all this shows you know nothing whatsoever about either the historical context of the Roma or of Irish emigration. The two situations are in no way comparable. As a large, massive clue as to where you are going wrong, count the number of gold teeth in the head of your standard Roma "beggar" the next time they are asking you for change.

In all honesty, people like you are a hazard. You'd hand over your own to be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness because you saw lethal weapon 2 once, and you'd do it singing.
    Do you think it's everybody else's responsibility to support you when you can't find work or something?
    It actually is, thats why we have social welfare programs. This however applies only to those who contribute or might at some stage contribute to society in future, not to nimrods from abroad.

Advertisement