Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SAAB 93 Do you recommend it?

Options
  • 30-10-2007 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying a 2004/2005 SAAB 93 in the new year. Would you recommend them?
    What engine would you recommend 1.8i, 1.8T, 2.0T?
    Cheers
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

lovely cars, i'd go for the linear 2.2 tid if you can afford it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Later 1.9d is better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If you can find one, go for the 2.0T. I'd try to avoid the 1.8i as even the 2.0T isn't going to set the world on fire. The 1.9TiD is a very good engine but only worth the extra over the pertol versions if you are doing the mileage.

Make sure whatever you get at least has Alloy wheels as nothing spoils the look of the car more than wheel trims.

If possible look for Linear Sport, Arc, Vector or Vector Sport trims - much rarer than the base Linear model but shouldn't cost much more and the extra spec is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Remember there is a difference between a 2.0t and a 2.0T, the t is a low pressure turbo, it gives a little extra oomph (172bhp) but is really there for fuel economy. The T on the other hand is the full blown turbo with lots of extra oomph (207bhp).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying a 2004/2005 SAAB 93 in the new year. Would you recommend them?
    What engine would you recommend 1.8i, 1.8T, 2.0T?
    Cheers
    Jack

Its an Opel Vectra in disguise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've said this before but here goes again anyway.

My ex boss was a huge SAAB head, he had alot of them over the years, 900 Turbo, 9000 CD, etc and loved every one of them except his last one, a 2004 9-3 2.0T. He hated the car, found it boring as ditch water, the handling was terrible, not very reliable and the interior is low rent. He has since moved onto a BMW 3 Series.

They are reworked Opels these days and unfortunately the SAAB badge is nothing more than another branch on the General Motors corporate tree.

If you are set on buying one then the 1.9 TiD is the one to go for. It has the excellent Fiat Multi Jet engine.

Best thing to do though is test drive one, then test drive the competition and see how you feel then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There hasn't been a real Saab since the 9000(and that was a Fiat/Alfa/Lancia in disguise), so I suppose the last proper Saab was the original 900 then(the one that was there from 78-93).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The 1.8t is a dog. Go for the 2.0T at least Vector (150BHP). I wasn't into Saabs until I drove a Vector 2.0T and thenI had fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The 1.8t is a dog. Go for the 2.0T at least Vector (150BHP). I wasn't into Saabs until I drove a Vector 2.0T and thenI had fun.

1.8i is 122ps
    1.8t is 150ps
    2.0t is 175ps
    2.0T is 210ps and only available in Aero Trim. Nice car to have but the insurance companies class it as high performance and crucify you.

(1.8t is the same engine as the 2.0t with a low pressure turbo. Saab did do - and still do for the new model - an upgrade kit to boost power from 150 to 175, was around €1,750).

From late '05 they also did the Aero in a 2.8T 250ps version.

1.9TiD engines come in either 120ps or 150ps.

Advertisement