Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thermal plant and CCGT efficiency

• 30-10-2007 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Hello

Looking for a bit of help here. I have a project which require me 2. Describe in detail one thermal/steam plant and calculate its efficiency, specific steam consumption and CO2 emissions. Compare this with a state-of-the-art combined cycle gas turbine system of similar size, again illustrating your answer with detailed calculations regarding efficiency and CO2 emissions?. I have the other parts of the project completed. But I am finding it hard to find such calculations. I have looked at the whitegate thermal plant and the proposed CCGT. Anyone have an idea

regards

mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

holdfast wrote: »
    Hello

Looking for a bit of help here. I have a project which require me 2. Describe in detail one thermal/steam plant and calculate its efficiency, specific steam consumption and CO2 emissions. Compare this with a state-of-the-art combined cycle gas turbine system of similar size, again illustrating your answer with detailed calculations regarding efficiency and CO2 emissions?. I have the other parts of the project completed. But I am finding it hard to find such calculations. I have looked at the whitegate thermal plant and the proposed CCGT. Anyone have an idea

regards

mike

I am actually doing some stuff on Gas Turbines at the moment. For calculations go for one of the books which is aimed at students (It think you are student as its a project with a good few pars, correct me if Im wrong :rolleyes:)

Try "Fundamentals of Thermodynamics" which is published by Wiley which are good at the engineering books.

http://he-cda.wiley.com/WileyCDA/HigherEdTitle.rdr?productCd=0471152323

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

A book i used to use in college is Applied Thermodynamics for Engineering Technologists. It gives some great worked examples with detailed calcs.

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/201320/Applied-Thermodynamics-for-Engineering-Technologists/Product.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

You can work out the Carnot efficiency easily enough. This is the absolute maximum possible efficiency of your plant but in practice it would be a lot less.

Its awhile since I've done this but I think all you need is the temperature of the boiler (T1) and the temperature of the condenser (T2).

The Carnot efficiency = [1 - (T2/T1)] * 100%

Just make sure you change your temperatures into Kelvin before filling them in.

So a steam power plant with a boiler temp of 600 degrees Celcius (873 K) and a condenser at 25 degrees Celcius (298 K) will have a maximum possible efficiency of about 66% but in reality it would be about half of this because of other losses.

Advertisement