Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earthquake in Ireland, possibly early 80s - please help me.

• 30-10-2007 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

OK, this could possibly be in Retro, or Dublin, but I reckon AH is the place for it, not for a bigger audience, but because someone might have had the same experience as me, and remember, and tell me, because otherwise I'm going insane.

I have a memory of being in my mother's bed one morning when I was little (I'm 27, nearly 28) and feeling an Earthquake. It wasn't that strong, nothing fell of a shelf or anything, but I have a distinct memory of this event.

It lasted probably a minute or so. My mother was asleep, but this woke her, although she didn't seem to be overly concerned. My father was already gone to work, so it was sometime between the hours of 8 and 10 in the morning.

Does anyoe know what I'm remembering? Does anyone else have similar memory?

Please help me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If I recall my geography lessons there was a quake in Wales in 1984. This could be what you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Yep, there was one, I remember it.

I think is was early to mid 80's and hit the east coast. My memory of it was that it was the morning time and it felt like someone very big running up and down the stairs for a few seconds (no more).

You should be able to dig up something on it as there was a fair bit of media coverage at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

Yeah i think your right (mid eighties one morning i fell out of bed):eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

it was in the early summer of 84 as far as I remember, about 7.30 in the morning. The radiators shook a bit. Then remember about 20 minutes later a newsflash on 2FM. Or whatever it was called back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

yes i remember it, it was the summer of 1984 there was an earthquake that hit the east coast of ireland and wales.

it was no big deal by international standards, but for the likes of ireland & UK it was headline news.

i suppose you could email the met office or one of the major colleges if you want more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The earth moved for me about July 1984. Should be able to find it on google.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Yep. I was staying with relations in Dublin in the early-mid 80's and I fell out of bed due to an earthquake. I just about remember it and my parents have since clarified that there was one. Typically when I tell my friends this story they laugh and tell me to shut the hell up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

DesF wrote:
    I have a memory of being in my mother's bed one morning when I was little (I'm 27, nearly 28) and feeling an Earthquake. It wasn't that strong, nothing fell of a shelf or anything, but I have a distinct memory of this event.
    [\QUOTE]

Maybe she let off a big ripper of a fart?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I missed all the excitement, I slept through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I remember it. Was lying on the sofa watching kids TV and basically everything went left for a second then went back right again.

I just remember the one judder. A few of the residents in the higher floors of the Ballymun towers had ornaments come off shelves etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A right ol' bone rattler that one!

A little know & not very interesting factoid - You are less likely to be killed by an earthquake in Ireland than in any other place in the whole wide world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hill Billy wrote: »
    A right ol' bone rattler that one!

A little know & not very interesting factoid - You are less likely to be killed by an earthquake in Ireland than in any other place in the whole wide world.

Well in fairness Ireland isn't really known internationally for its high buildings and faultlines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah I remember it. Or remember being told about it. I thought around '85, but everyone here says '84. Cool I was only 3 then, memory's better than I thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Never knew about that. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

There was also the tremor in 2005. http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1214/tremor.html

I remember waking up in the middle of the night going what the hell was that.

Advertisement