Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[QUERY] Brake Pads - Go easy, first 500 miles

Options
  • 30-10-2007 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So last weekend I got my rear brake pads replaced and as I was leaving, the guy told me not to go too hard on the brakes for the first 500 miles.

Now I didn't think much about it at the time as I don't go hard on the brakes anyway but why is it that I'm not supposed to go hard on new brake pads? If I was a hard user on brakes shouldn't I be able to use them as normal?

Oh and in case this is important, I drive a FIAT Stilo*

Just wondering. :confused:

*Yeah, I know, leave the 'crap car' comments for another thread. I like the car :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This is normal advice - but 500 miles is a bit much, imo - usually 200 will more than do the job. The reason is to allow the new pads to bed in to the surface of the disc. If you go 'too hard' on the brakes you may experience premature brake fade, which results in a substantial loss of braking power due to the brakes overheating. If you do have a situation where you need to brake hard, then it's a good idea to stop for 10 mins or so to allow them to cool off - just in case you have similar hard braking situation a few hundred meters up the road which might cause brake fade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

it's not really that importatant weather you go hard or not.....well at least i don't think it is but hey i'm only an apprentice..........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Actually you were given wrong advice.

It takes a while for new brake pads to bed into the shape and all the grooves of the old drums/disks and for that time you won't have full breaking power.

So you shouldn't really go easy on the brakes or break any harder either, but pay more attention and break earlier than usual, as you break performance will not be 100 %.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

crosstownk wrote: »
    This is normal advice - but 500 miles is a bit much, imo - usually 200 will more than do the job. The reason is to allow the new pads to bed in to the surface of the disc. If you go 'too hard' on the brakes you may experience premature brake fade, which results in a substantial loss of braking power due to the brakes overheating. If you do have a situation where you need to brake hard, then it's a good idea to stop for 10 mins or so to allow them to cool off - just in case you have similar hard braking situation a few hundred meters up the road.

learn sumtin new everyday:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks lads :)
    peasant wrote: »
    Actually you were given wrong advice.
    I don't think the advice was wrong as such, I think you are being a bit pedantic :) I took his advice to mean exactly what you have outlined below :)
    So you shouldn't really go easy on the brakes or break any harder either, but pay more attention and break earlier than usual, as you break performance will not be 100 %.
    It takes a while for new brake pads to bed into the shape and all the grooves of the old drums/disks and for that time you won't have full breaking power.
    That's a really good explanation, I like the one from crosstownk too.

Cheers guys, you've made my day* :)

*It's always the little things that make life better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I think you are being a bit pedantic :)

Tsk ...and there I was, thinking you of all people would appreciate that ...:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

peasant wrote: »
    Tsk ...and there I was, thinking you of all people would appreciate that ...:D:D:D
    There's no pleasing some people, I'm just grouchy today cos I've lots of work to do. Stupid work taking up my boards.ie time!! :D

Advertisement