Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 or Volkswagen Passat Estate

Options
  • 30-10-2007 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I am first to admit I know nothing about cars , computers are fine but cars are a mystery.

So on that note ....

I am about to get a new ( second hand ) car and am looking for some basic tips for the naive buyer like me.

We have kids x 2 & dogs x 2, and in "superficial" terms like the look of the Audi A4 or Volkswagen Passat Estate. ( Yes, I am the suburban stereotype!!! :( )

Looking at the paper I think I have the budget for a 03 Audi or a 05 Passat with about 30 -50k miles on them.

So my question is, and keep in mind i know nothing, would anybody highlight where best I should purchase the car.

I don't have the knowledge to confidently purchase from a private buyer and so it looks like my options are a dealership???

Are there accredited dealers, etc?

Thanks in advance for any info on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sizewise the A4 isn't that great ...if it's load space you need (depends on the size of your dogs and what other stuff you need to carry) the Passat is the better option.
    So my question is, and keep in mind i know nothing, would anybody highlight where best I should purchase the car.

Rogue dealers (private or professional) can smell someone who "knows nothing" a mile off and take advantage.

Get the help of someone who "does know" (like a mechanic you know and trust) and buy where you get the best price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

i agree with peasant the passat would be the better option space wise but engine wise in my opinion it's pretty close as both are very good cars.if i was to choose it would for me be the passat......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Passat also much cheaper to buy year for year.

audi

VW

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I have an '04 A4 Estate 1.9 Tdi Sport and I like it. It's spacious inside, comfortable, economical and reliable. The only drawback is the width of the boot: I play golf and have to take out the woods to fit the bag crossways in the boot (there is a cubby hole on left side of boot that loses about 8" off width and same on right for other gizmos).
    Haven't been in a Passat so can't compare really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Velcrow wrote: »
    Firstly, I am first to admit I know nothing about cars , computers are fine but cars are a mystery.

So on that note ....

I am about to get a new ( second hand ) car and am looking for some basic tips for the naive buyer like me.

We have kids x 2 & dogs x 2, and in "superficial" terms like the look of the Audi A4 or Volkswagen Passat Estate. ( Yes, I am the suburban stereotype!!! :( )

Looking at the paper I think I have the budget for a 03 Audi or a 05 Passat with about 30 -50k miles on them.

I don't have the knowledge to confidently purchase from a private buyer and so it looks like my options are a dealership???

Are there accredited dealers, etc?

Thanks in advance for any info on this

From the 2 above I'd be going for the Passat as it's essentially the same vehicle underneath, but cheaper. Personally if I was looking for something purely to lug the load I'd be trying to find a fairly new (old model) Mondeo Estate.

As far a where to buy them, for the age you are looking at I'd try main dealers, most of them are Audi & Volkswagen. Try Simon in Grange Audi and Paul in Grange Volkswagen or Gerry Mc in Fosters Volkswagen or Chris in Fosters Audi.

If you are North / West Dublin head to Brady's. Kevin Greene in there is very good, not sure if he's Audi or Volkswagen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Thanks for the info

Is there such thing as -

"Hire an independent mechanic for an hour to view the car you are interested in buying"

service!

As for the dealers I live in Glasnevin so I will try out Brady's.

Again Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

yep an indy will do it for a fee or the AA (not sure if you need to be a member though).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

R.O.R wrote: »
    ...ersonally if I was looking for something purely to lug the load I'd be trying to find a fairly new (old model) Mondeo Estate....

Why so? They look huge. Is it simply the space?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Passat is the obvious winner here, it is bigger and more practical than the A4.

As always mentioned I would look at the Skoda Octavia estate, the boot is huge and is recommended by 37% of boards members. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's a frightening statistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The skoda seems very good value second hand. All crap engines though

as opposed to the Audi....which is poor value second hand and shares the most common engine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

R.O.R wrote: »
    From the 2 above I'd be going for the Passat as it's essentially the same vehicle underneath

Is the A4 not on the Golf chassis and the Passat on the A6?

I had an A4 recently and wasn't impressed with space inside. If you are anything like the people I know with kids I'd go for the Passat.

Space in the back of the A4 seems tight compared to a Passat or Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I've an A4 myself, & I can confirm that the space in the back isn't great once the front seats are any way back at all. My previous car, a Honda Civic was better in this regard!

As far as I know the Passat is based on the A6 chassis, while the A4 is based upon the Golf/Jetta.

The Passat is almost certainly the better option spacewise. Also, note the rear seats do not fold down in the A4, while they do in the Passat - I know someone who has one.

You might also consider the Skoda Superb (excuse the pun), but it has superb space the rear!

OP is looking at estate cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Superb will be no good since the OP has 2 dogs.

I know the earlier Octavia was based on the previous Golf. Whats the current Octavia based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

larchill wrote: »
    Also, note the rear seats do not fold down in the A4, while they do in the Passat - I know someone who has one.

As far as I know folding rear seats are an optional extra on the A4 so it may or may not have them if getting a second hand car.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

I'm probably slightly biased as I have an 05 Passat, but have also driven an A4 for a while.

The Passat overall is bigger than the Audi, and an estate will be massive boot wise.

A number of things on the decision... The Audi will be a few years older, but both should hold good value, especially the diesels. The 2.0tdi is a great engine in either car.

The Mondeo will drop a bit sharper in value now that the new one is out, but you should make that back in the purchase price now.

All good cars, but my vote would be for the Passat.

• Advertisement

GB15 wrote: »
    As far as I know folding rear seats are an optional extra on the A4 so it may or may not have them if getting a second hand car.
    Audi A4 Avants will have standard folding seats. they are estates after all, (that's what the OP is looking for).
    BostonB wrote: »
    I know the earlier Octavia was based on the previous Golf. Whats the current Octavia based on?

THe current Octavia is shares it's platform with on the current Golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

colm_mcm wrote: »
    as opposed to the Audi....which is poor value second hand and shares the most common engine
    I meant crap engines in the second hand market. I've been looking at the A4 estate and there are loads of 1.8T petrol and 2.5T diesels. The Skoda seems to be nearly all 1.4 petrol. I want something that has space and poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

OK, the boards members have me convinced - a Passat it is!

So the next step is to see if I can push the budget to get one of the newer styled models (05,06,07) -

Other than the superficial body changes is it really worth shelling out the extra cash!

Once again - your opinions are much appreciated.

One more novice question - when the best time of the year to purchase - now or wait for the new year?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Del2005 wrote: »
    Is the A4 not on the Golf chassis and the Passat on the A6?

I had an A4 recently and wasn't impressed with space inside. If you are anything like the people I know with kids I'd go for the Passat.

No, Golf shares the chassis with the A3.

Plenty of VW platform information here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_platforms

Re. the A4 Avant vs. Passat estate debate - the Passat is definitely bigger. If you don't want one over the other, why would you not go for the Passat? It's bigger and cheaper. All depends on what you want from a car.

Advertisement