Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Options other than FE1s

• 30-10-2007 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    Im currently doing a postgrad in legal studies and while many classmates are planning on taking the FE1's, Im not entirely sure thats a route I want to go down.

Was wondering if anyone has an idea as to what other job options are out there ????

I do have a genuine interest in the law but Ive heard so many horror stories abt getting through the exams, getting the traineeships and even the long hours that a solicitor works. Not lazy but dont think im willing to give up my whole life for the next few years!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

pokkets wrote: »
    I do have a genuine interest in the law but Ive heard so many horror stories abt getting through the exams, getting the traineeships and even the long hours that a solicitor works. Not lazy but dont think im willing to give up my whole life for the next few years!!

You are pointing to the very nub of the matter there. If your genuine interest in the law outweighs your fear of the exams, job uncertainty, long hours (often for less money than you'd get flipping burgers) etc, then law may be an appropriate job choice for you.

If on the other hand your genuine interest is no greater than your genuine interest in banking, accounting, plumbing etc, then becoming a lawyer is probably a very bad move. The money is better in other professions despite what the media say. A person equally qualified in law and, say accounting, will in all probability earn more as an accountant than as a lawyer. But money isn't why people do their jobs.

Perhaps a better option for you might be working in a legal area without being a fully fledged lawyer - e.g. legal exec, legal researcher, working in a quasi-legal part of a bank etc.

Advertisement