Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Benefits/Drawbacks of Induction Kit

Options
  • 30-10-2007 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Looking to find out the benefits/drawbacks of an induction kit for my ford focus 01, 1.6:

Fuel Consumption/Insurance affected much?

Power (at what end is it increased? across the board? by how much)

Easy to install myself?

Wheres good to buy one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

more noise, negligible performance increase.
    maybe a bit more free revving, but not going to transform the cars performance.

drawbacks include more risk of taking flood water into engine (learnt that the hard way)

A good performance panel filter will be more effective in most cases but won't give the induction roar - depends on why you want one I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

on a focus youd be better off with an uprated pannel filter... ind kits dont much much difference on n/a cars bar a bit of noise as all they do is suck up heat unless a decent cold air feed is used!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JohnG2176

i'd recommend a good panel filter, i've had an induction kit in my car for ages, decided to take it out and put the old system in again to see if it would improve my mpg. didn't really notice a change in mpg, but the pick up and the sound (lack of) of the original airbox/panel filter is far superior to the induction kit. don't waste your money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Induction kits are a waste of money.

I had a K&N panel filter in my BMW E30 and i found a website where a lad tested the Original BMW filter vs K&N vs ITG filter

The BMW filter was the best performing one for my car....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 liljenny

is it true if they are not fitted correctly that your feul consumtion can go out the window....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 liljenny

^so there really not worth putting on at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i noticed better acceleration on my old alfa 156 2.0 with a K+N ind kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The reality is you won't notice a difference in proply 90% of cars. Most cars are not powerful enough to make a noticable difference. Lets say you have a 1.6 putting down 100hp and then this induction kit adds 5hp. 100 + 5 =105. Thats jack ****.

Also the reason it won't make a difference is that the manifold is stock. Theres more air coming into the engine and more gases exiting, so unless you dont have a good exhuast set up it wont work out(noisey back boxes are not exhaust systems).

If you want to make a noticble difference I suguest you get and induction kit, a performance exhaust system and then get it chipped. It might add 30hp in a 1.6 durotec engine you have.

is a 30% increase not a bit optimistic Plug?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Rough estimate, could be even 10hp I suppose but unlikely.

I'd say 10bhp would be the height of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

inductions kits ad 1-3 hp , with a better exhaust you will get about 10-15 hp increase ( non de-cat )

that is a bonus i suppose but it depends on the car...

if you want to spend more for air filters at a service , work away , if you dont , fair enough but remember ,keep stock parts cause mods scare away your adverage nobody when you come to sell it. ( a common mistake by " modders " )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ya wont get 10-15 hp increase with any exhaust system with the cat still in it, i had a scooby with a blitz exhaust and a blitz induction kit and it gave an extra 10 onto 240 bhp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

guil07 , what size was the pipe ?? 2.75 pipe with a 3.5 on the rear and you hit 245 , then a decent blow-off valve and you get up 260 ( the blowoff valve allows for more psi out of the turbo, unlike in glanzas where they just make noise ) also , who in the name of all thats holy changes the air intake on a scooby ?? you get more hp but lose on accl , so unless you have nice gear ratios its not an option i'd choose on a tight pocket....

Well like i meant with an induction kit, new exhuast system and then remapped it could add up to 30HP. did you mean just the induction kit on its own?

even those 3 mods togther are unlikely to get anywhere near that sort of gain.

even those 3 mods togther are unlikely to get anywhere near that sort of gain.
    So then the verdict on Benefits/Drawbacks of Induction Kit= don't buy one.
    *thread dies*

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

S.I.R wrote: »
    guil07 , what size was the pipe ?? 2.75 pipe with a 3.5 on the rear and you hit 245 , then a decent blow-off valve and you get up 260 ( the blowoff valve allows for more psi out of the turbo, unlike in glanzas where they just make noise ) also , who in the name of all thats holy changes the air intake on a scooby ?? you get more hp but lose on accl , so unless you have nice gear ratios its not an option i'd choose on a tight pocket....

how does a blow off valve allow more boost? only helps the turbo spool up better. an uprated acuater allows more boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

S.I.R wrote: »

like monster said ya cant get higher boost out of a dump valveand i wasnt losin acc with the ind kit it was quicker to pick up with it rather than the standard airbox,,
    from ur name i presume ur a honda head so stick to them

• Advertisement
Advertisement