Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed

Options
  • 30-10-2007 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me. We are hoping to adopt a dog as soon as possible. We want to save a dog, preferably under a year old. Its a family dog so we want it to have a good demeanor and get on with people and fit in. We want it to be able to be in the house as well as outside and to be good on a lead. We want a small to medium sized dog.

Problem is we have no idea the best way to go about this. Should we go to a pound or a shelter and if so, where are they? We live in North Dublin (Baldoyle).

We are in the process of meeting a dog tonight. He is a staffy/lab cross and I am worried about the breed. Would this be a suitable family dog?

The youngest child is twelve but we want a dog that is ok around children.

Also, we have been dealing with Dogs in Distress. They seem fine and genuine but any information about them would be great.

Please help as I really want this to work out and would be grateful of any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me. We are hoping to adopt a dog as soon as possible. We want to save a dog, preferably under a year old. Its a family dog so we want it to have a good demeanor and get on with people and fit in. We want it to be able to be in the house as well as outside and to be good on a lead. We want a small to medium sized dog.

Problem is we have no idea the best way to go about this. Should we go to a pound or a shelter and if so, where are they? We live in North Dublin (Baldoyle).

We are in the process of meeting a dog tonight. He is a staffy/lab cross and I am worried about the breed. Would this be a suitable family dog?

The youngest child is twelve but we want a dog that is ok around children.

Also, we have been dealing with Dogs in Distress. They seem fine and genuine but any information about them would be great.

Please help as I really want this to work out and would be grateful of any advice.

Firstly, congrats on your decision to adopt a dog!!

I'd like to suggest you consider a retired greyhound. When I say retired, I mean an ex-racing dog, generally very healthy and as young as 1.5 years and older. They are clean and obedient, and very easy on the lead. They need to sleep indoors as they've little body fat but are renouned for their gentleness and their calm temperament. They're generally very good with children.

You can read more about them as family pets here: http://paws.ie/greyhounds.html

Contrary to popular belief, they don't need a load of excercise (less than the staffie/lab cross), not a lot of food, and not a lot of space (just somewhere soft and warm to sleep!) They really are the most loving, affectionate animals .....

This info comes from someone who has two of them so I'm not making it all up! :D Unfortunately, you have plenty of choice when it comes to greyhounds in shelters and pounds, have a look here:

http://www.irishanimals.com/adoptagreyhound.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Firstly congrts on your decision. I'll second the retired greyhound comment, they are wonderful pets and actually tend to be pretty lazy! Years ago An elderly uncle of mine acquired one (I think from a racing friend of his) and was fairly worried how he would get on with his 15year old spaniel, the greyhound was perfectly happy lying by the fire with the old dog. We were very suprised as he was an ex racing dog, we thought he'd need a lot of exercise but he was happier just lazing!

If a greyhound isn't for you then please dont choose a dog based on breed alone, some dogs have bad names but it really is all in how they are trained and handled. If you fall in love with the dog you are looking at and his prsonality suits you then dont be put off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

sorry tweet forgoot to tell you, there is a wonderful, small charity run in your area called last hope with dogs up for adoption. They have a website. Also please look into ashtown pound, thy kill thm after 5 days. I know we should support charities but for now their dogs are safe, it's the pound dogs that are in most danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Oh may as well plug Dogs Aid Animal Sanctuary

We are based at the back of Dublin Airport

All our dogs are neutered , vaccinated and microchipped.

All are temperament tested - home visits are always carried out to ensure the right dog is matched up to a family / suitability etc.

www.dogsaid.ie

01 834 7134

We have lots of smallies out there at the moment dying to be someones pet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Hey tweet, id have nothing but good things to say about DID.org, there a brilliant bunch of people.
    Staffs are great dogs, my father, my sister and myself all have one, there a great house dog. If its the same staff x lab im thinking about, he's beautiful, if i only had more room i wouldnt think twice about taking him myself,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tweet-tweet

thanks for all the help guys. we met the dog last night and instantly fell in love with him. pending a home check he will be joining us in the next day or two. i would like to commend DID on the work that they do and they are well worth looking into. I am sure I will be back on this forum many times over the coming months and years looking for help and advice!

i would love nothing more than to adopt a greyhound but unfortunately we just cant take a dog that big.

however the dog we have chosen has just as great a need and its nice to feel you are helping a dog by giving it a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

the pound in Dunboyne often has staffies and others for homing. The forums on EGAR.org are excellent for checking the place out and posting pictures of the dogs. That's how I got mine, his picture is in the last post of the top sticky on the Animals and Pet Issues page

Advertisement