Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3rd Provisional question

Options
  • 30-10-2007 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My second prov expires this Thursday.........**** timing right!

I applied for my test on Staurday and I applied for my 3rd prov today. I want to sit my test asap as I am sure you can understand.

Will I get a permit which doesnt allow me to sit my test for 6 months or because I already held a licence I can sit my test at any time?

PS: Anyone drive alone on their 3rd prov? I only sent mine off this morning, so I technically cant drive....no licence!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

1978 wrote: »
    My second prov expires this Thursday.........**** timing right!

I applied for my test on Staurday and I applied for my 3rd prov today. I want to sit my test asap as I am sure you can understand.

Will I get a permit which doesnt allow me to sit my test for 6 months or because I already held a licence I can sit my test at any time?

PS: Anyone drive alone on their 3rd prov? I only sent mine off this morning, so I technically cant drive....no licence!
    I am not getting at you, I am just trying to understand what is going on here. How can you be applying for for 3rd provisional and only just have booked a test? How many years does it take to get to 3rd provisional?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can sit your test at any time. They'll take your previous licenses into account and give you a "3rd learner permit".

If you're asked by a Garda for your license, they'll accept the receipt the tax office gave you. Provided you have a driver with the required full license with you of course.

Btw, post a pic of the learner permit when you get it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

it takes 4 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

the 6 month rule is only on the 1st provisional/Permit since you're on your 3rd you have already passed the 6 month requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 23 1978

MrPudding wrote: »
    I am not getting at you, I am just trying to understand what is going on here. How can you be applying for for 3rd provisional and only just have booked a test? How many years does it take to get to 3rd provisional?

MrP

Mr Pudding:

I applied for my 1st prov licence when I was 17, and never used it!! Silly I know. I got my 2nd 2 years ago, and being lazy is not a crime so didnt apply...dont think I am alone there!
    I applied first thing sat morn, realised my prov is out of date......on thursday!

Other posters: Thanks, just rang rsa, said I would be fine to apply!

• Advertisement

Mr Pudding:

I applied for my 1st prov licence when I was 17, and never used it!! Silly I know. I got my 2nd 2 years ago, and being lazy is not a crime so didnt apply...dont think I am alone there!
    I applied first thing sat morn, realised my prov is out of date......on thursday!

Other posters: Thanks, just rang rsa, said I would be fine to apply!
    Like I said, I was not getting at you, just curious. I grew up in the north and I don't even know anyone that has had more than one provisional licence.

Will it be difficult for you to go back to having to be accompanied when you drive?

MrP

prendy wrote: »
    it takes 4 i think.

What takes 4 prendy?

What takes 4 prendy?
    I think he means years to get to 3rd provo.

MrP

Ah grand Mr. Pudding...yes it will be difficult to go back to being accompanied, and I think its a silly law that someone on their 2nd doesnt have to be accompanied yet someone on their 3rd has......???? I know its supposed to be a incentive to do the test.

Ah well, I will have to leave my brand new 07 passat outside the door till I pass my test...unless anyone wants to buy it???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Stark wrote: »
    If you're asked by a Garda for your license, they'll accept the receipt the tax office gave you. Provided you have a driver with the required full license with you of course.

Are you sure?,I don't think a guard will accept the receipt anymore. You are the driver and must have a license to drive the vehicle regardless of your passenger having a full license. That's my understanding of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

Advertisement