Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COD4: Modern Warfare

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

silvine wrote: »
    I'm picking up a new game tomorrow and its COD4 or Orange Box. Any of you guys think I'd be better with Orange Box?

Tough choice. If you can only get one, I'd probably go for the Orange Box just because of the sheer value for money it offers. You get four amazing single player games and one brilliant multi-player. With COD4, you'll be finished the single player game in 6 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm picking up a new game tomorrow and its COD4 or Orange Box. Any of you guys think I'd be better with Orange Box?

Hmm get both! I'd say get the Orange Box, will keep your interest for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

No. The game doesn't support online split-screen.

Just jumped into this thread on the last page so apologies if I missed something. I was certain the beta allowed online split screen. I remember playing a few death matches split screen online with friends.

Maybe I dreamt it??

I do have COD4 now but have only played a quick online game- still addicted to halo 3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

COD 4 is ten times better than any other game that's been out this year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

the orange box is great value for what you get with it and i'd go for that first myself but then it's easy for me to say that as i have both ;) .

cod 4 is also very good also and if your more into multiplayer gameplay i'd go for that over team fortress two thats in the orange box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Moon wrote: »
    COD 4 is ten times better than any other game that's been out this year!!

have you played orange box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

event wrote: »

I don't know I have both and I have been instantly addicted to CoD4, saying that though, Portal is one of the best games I have played in ages. Better than CoD4

So it is a tough call and will come down to opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

Its a toughie..
    orange box is quality, some really nice gaming touches in hl2, but i have left it for a while afer finishing hl2 got a bit sick of it, still have portal/hl ep2, ep3 to finish..

Playing cod4 at the moment, have it on "veteran" difficulty so it will last a bit longer than 6hrs... The cod4 multiplayer is excellent, even better than the beta was and way better than GOW, GRAW and Halo 3 muck, not sure if its better than R6 Las Vegas..but R6 is getting old.

as for team fortress 2 multiplayer, its ok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

monomaniac wrote: »
    Just jumped into this thread on the last page so apologies if I missed something. I was certain the beta allowed online split screen. I remember playing a few death matches split screen online with friends.

Maybe I dreamt it??
    No, there definitely wasn't any split-screen or even system link in the beta. COD3 had it though so maybe that's what you're thinking of.

I completed the main missions on Veteran difficulty yesterday. The first act is piss-easy but there's some really hard parts in the second and third act. Overall not nearly as changeling as COD2 on veteran but maybe I'm just better at the game now.

Really loved the single player but I get the feeling it was supposed to be a lot longer and they were forced to cut it back in order to maintain high quality throughout. I'd love to see them add a few levels via DLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

cod 4 -6 hours of play

orange box - 30 hours of gameplay

bout are the best first person shooters for the console so you should really pick up both at some stage

online for cod 4 is supposed to be class also

finished both myself and i'd go for orange box

• Advertisement

Is that really an unbiased opinion though with a user name like that :D

Is your name Gordon? :p

Vegeta wrote: »
    Is that really an unbiased opinion though with a user name like that :D

Is your name Gordon? :p

ha ha...

tis my favourite game of all time;), only played ep2 on the 3sexty and it looks glorious, they seem to have put more effert in to the graphics for it than the original hl2 game in the orange box mind

love those new hunter baddies too, had great fun running between the striders legs mowing them down

Vegeta wrote: »
    I don't know I have both and I have been instantly addicted to CoD4, saying that though, Portal is one of the best games I have played in ages. Better than CoD4

So it is a tough call and will come down to opinion

i know, im the same but to call it best game of the year if you havent played orange box it a bit silly

they are very different, you will get more single player out of orange box by a mile.

but IMO, you'll be playing COD4 online for months, its brilliant

but IMO, you'll be playing COD4 online for months, its brilliant

I haven't even started the single player yet, have well over 20 hours of multiplayer this week so far, multiplayer is class. I'm level 34 a Major, come on the .50 cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

just started playing the multiplayer a few days ago and im hooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

it is indeed the dogs bollox of multiplayer shooters on the 360. Only started playing the retail version multiplayer last night, better that the beta version cause of all the extra maps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Can you not see my signature???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

cod 4 -6 hours of play

orange box - 30 hours of gameplay

bout are the best first person shooters for the console so you should really pick up both at some stage

online for cod 4 is supposed to be class also

just out of interest , what difficulty were you playing COD4 on ?

if you completed it on veteran in that time id be well impressed ,

and realistically playing it on any other difficulty is pointless :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'm playing it on Hardened and am struggling in places. Only have the 360 a week but it's still tough. More online playing than 1 player anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

COD is a great game, the single player is awesome. It's mayhem in battle.

Mutiplayer is great too, but haven't had a chance to play too much of it.

My friend gave me Halo 3 today, played it for about 10 minutes. I don't know what the fuss is about, not a good game, especially in comparison with COD 4.

• Advertisement

shortys94 wrote: »

My friend gave me Halo 3 today, played it for about 10 minutes. I don't know what the fuss is about, not a good game, especially in comparison with COD 4.

i reckon if you played Halo 3 first, like me, you'd have thought it was awesome

but COD4 blows it out of the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

maybe because halo never looked "realistic?"

always looked a bit cartooney to me.

but online its great craic. Anygame online is great craic though in all fairness.

I'm loving that carcossne game we got for free, bitta laugh online

and texas hold em is brilliant, be class if you could play for microsoft points or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I traded halo 3 in today for mass effect, Cod4 is miles beter online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭redbhoy1888

I think the Halo hype in the end did it no favours yes its a decent game and great in places but when seen in the same light as COD4 Im afraid it does not stand up.COD4 is somewhat short in single player but every level is quality.You cannot say the same of Halo 3 in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Really like Halo3 online, some big team battles are amazing. But just got into the Big Team Battles on COD this weekend, and jebus its amazing. I usually dont have the longest attention span for games but yesterday all i did was play it, and im only on lvl 15 :( Id go with COD definitely as the better online game

I think the Halo hype in the end did it no favours yes its a decent game and great in places but when seen in the same light as COD4 Im afraid it does not stand up.COD4 is somewhat short in single player but every level is quality.You cannot say the same of Halo 3 in retrospect.

for those of ye that have copies of both cod4 and halo 3 play cod for 15 mons and then try out halo and you'll see the diffferance in quality right there, i realy enjoyed halo but it is essentialy halo 2 with a spit shine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭p.u.d.z.e.r.

Both halo3 and Cod4 are great games but halo is the better of the 2. COD4 is good online but the ranking system is ridiculous, there is no possibility of being ranked down even if you finish -20!!! At least in halo rankings are affected by results.

And that whole prestige mode is rubbish, start over again with no guns and you end up doing the same poxy acheivements that you already did way back when you first played it.

Both halo3 and Cod4 are great games but halo is the better of the 2. COD4 is good online but the ranking system is ridiculous, there is no possibility of being ranked down even if you finish -20!!! At least in halo rankings are affected by results.

And that whole prestige mode is rubbish, start over again with no guns and you end up doing the same poxy acheivements that you already did way back when you first played it.

Am I only really play team deathmatch (as most games are available there) but how do you get negative points?? Have never seen that to be honest in my 35 hours online play

I think if you play an online game for the ability to rank up rather than the fun involved in actually playing it, then you have a pretty weak arguement.

The only gun worth ranking up for is the barret and that's only cause it sounds cool, the standard sniper rifle is more than adequate with the right abilities added

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Is there any way of checking your multiplayer stats online?, like battlefield for the PC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think the ability to rank up adds to the fun of COD4.

When you get a new weapon or perk, you're dying to try it out.

Good examples would have been when I got the RPGx2 perk, spent my next match trying to shoot down helicoptors like crazy!

All in all, having both COD4 and Halo 3, I have spent far more time with COD4.

Advertisement