Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COD4: Modern Warfare

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Stimpyone wrote: »
    Is there any way of checking your multiplayer stats online?, like battlefield for the PC?

don't think so as they are stored locally rather than on servers like for BF2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I think the Halo hype in the end did it no favours yes its a decent game and great in places but when seen in the same light as COD4 Im afraid it does not stand up.COD4 is somewhat short in single player but every level is quality.You cannot say the same of Halo 3 in retrospect.

Erm, yes you can. Halo 3 had one duff level, level 8. Everything else was excellent, with level 7 being one of the best designed levels ive come across in an FPS.
    Cod4's SP is nowhere near as good. It had a few standout moments like all ghillied up but then that level was ruined by the ridiculously hard ending, the first us marine mission was great until that stupid TV station shootout, cod4's maps go like this: corridor area funnels you into agonizingly annoying chokepoint, move on to another corridor which funnels you into yet another chokepoint, and again, and again and again. H3's open environments and freedom to take on a fight any way you choose makes cod4's sp look archaic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭p.u.d.z.e.r.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Am I only really play team deathmatch (as most games are available there) but how do you get negative points?? Have never seen that to be honest in my 35 hours online play

I think if you play an online game for the ability to rank up rather than the fun involved in actually playing it, then you have a pretty weak arguement.

I dont mean negative points im talking kills to deaths ratio.

Ranking up is part and parcel of online gaming, its the basis of which you can say you are better than your mates.

I dont mean negative points im talking kills to deaths ratio.

Ranking up is part and parcel of online gaming, its the basis of which you can say you are better than your mates.

R6: Vegas, didn't matter how good you were, it was all man hours.

Most online sports games have no ranking that I can think of off the top of my head

Team Fortress 2 has no ranking

The way I judge if i am better than my mates is if i beat them in a deathmatch

Come on, I have to say as an owner of both games I do prefer CoD4 over Halo 3 but if the only reason you prefer Halo is because it has a more performance based ranking system as opposed to a how many hours have I played scoring system then that's a pretty poor reason to prefer it

I can understand if you didn't like the level design or the weapons or the story/voice acting/music/AI etc etc etc but the ranking system??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭p.u.d.z.e.r.

R6: Vegas, didn't matter how good you were, it was all man hours.

Most online sports games have no ranking that I can think of off the top of my head

Team Fortress 2 has no ranking

The way I judge if i am better than my mates is if i beat them in a deathmatch

Come on, I have to say as an owner of both games I do prefer CoD4 over Halo 3 but if the only reason you prefer Halo is because it has a more performance based ranking system as opposed to a how many hours have I played scoring system then that's a pretty poor reason to prefer it

I can understand if you didn't like the level design or the weapons or the story/voice acting/music/AI etc etc etc but the ranking system??

Dont get me wrong, they are both head and shoulders above most other games i have played but having been out sick the past few months ive put in a lot of hours and i just found i got a good 6/7 weeks out of halo without boredom kickin in whereas cod4 has only been out a while and its already a bit meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Maybe I haven't played COD4 enough (only really about 5 hours MP and I'm stuck on that *!&!!! TV station shootout in campaign) but I much prefer Halo 3 for the simple reason that the level design in COD gives me a headache - trying to pick out a beige and brown enemy in a screen full of rubble and wrecked cars is destroying my eyes :o

Also the thing that really stands out about H3 versus H2 is that the ranking system works a lot better, so that now you are actually playing guys who are about as good as you. I'm just starting out in COD and I'm getting my arse handed to me every 10 seconds (shot by a helicopter WTF!?)

I also love the theatre in H3 - yesterday I scored a solo run in CTF halo whilst killing the entire opposing team twice over. Its great to be able to watch it again with a nice cup of tea and I swear I spent another 30 mins crafting a video to save for posterity. And you can send them to other people with Halo 3 just like this!

And the lack of a radar in COD is wrecking my head - lost count of the amount of times Ive been shot in the back of the head by some guy camping in the corner of a room Ive just entered!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sapper wrote: »
    And the lack of a radar in COD is wrecking my head - lost count of the amount of times Ive been shot in the back of the head by some guy camping in the corner of a room Ive just entered!

there is a radar in COD4.

I prefer COD4 over halo3 myself. its harder to meet equally matched players in halo imo and generally the better players have a far better advantage. I like the quick re-spawns in COD4.

PLus the ranking system is crap in halo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

faceman wrote: »
    there is a radar in COD4.

I prefer COD4 over halo3 myself. its harder to meet equally matched players in halo imo and generally the better players have a far better advantage. I like the quick re-spawns in COD4.

PLus the ranking system is crap in halo

not straight away there isnt, like not a radar that shows you where people are

i dont like the unlocking in COD4, like you can be up against people with far superior weaponry to you, at least in halo everyone has the same ones

and that host ending the game is annoying, but other than that its better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Are you sure ? There's always a radar that shows were players are when I play. I think for people to appear on it they may have to be in view of another player or something but there's one there.
    And there's a patch coming out to switch hosts if one quits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

event wrote: »

I like both equally but agree with you on the host ending the game. Most infuriating.

• Advertisement

i dont like the unlocking in COD4, like you can be up against people with far superior weaponry to you, at least in halo everyone has the same ones

well if anyone fires a gun you know where they are and you can tell your teams positions at all times. Then you have the UAV

the weapons thing is just not really true. there are 2 exceptions I have found, the 50 cal and the last LMG. Other than that the best weapon is the M16 with a red dot site.

I have only the barret to unlock and I honestly will use the M16 for all my kills. I believe they put in the challenges just to try and get people to use other weapons. I hate all the other guns in comparison to the M16. If say I am trying to complete a marksman challenge with an SMG or LMG but am being bitch slapped I choose a class with my M16 and get the score up a bit.

The ability unlocks on the other hand are decent but still the 2 I use the most are stopping power and deep impact.

I know Halo has the on-line achievements but I really like some of the challenges in CoD4, like kill an enemy, pick up his weapon and then kill him again or while holding a live cooking grenade run after an enemy and kill him and yourself. Crap like that is really fun. Destroy 15 cars is another one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Personally I much prefer COD's radar to Halo's motion tracker. It's more realistic and forces you to pick your shots or else give away your position.

Host-migration is being added in the next update which should be shortly. Strange it wasn't already there since I could have sworn it was in the beta.

And a lot of people are complaining about new users being at a disadvantage due to lesser weapons etc and they're just making excuses imo. I've barely unlocked any new weapons yet but find the AK47 and MP5 more than powerful enough to come out on top.

Maybe I haven't played COD4 enough (only really about 5 hours MP and I'm stuck on that *!&!!! TV station shootout in campaign) but I much prefer Halo 3 for the simple reason that the level design in COD gives me a headache - trying to pick out a beige and brown enemy in a screen full of rubble and wrecked cars is destroying my eyes :o

Its called camouflage, I hear its really popular in the army, I'm told the idea is to pick colours similar to your surroundings to blend in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camouflage

Also the thing that really stands out about H3 versus H2 is that the ranking system works a lot better, so that now you are actually playing guys who are about as good as you. I'm just starting out in COD and I'm getting my arse handed to me every 10 seconds (shot by a helicopter WTF!?)

on the defense of CoD they do autobalance the teams but there are generally some lethal fellas in most games who rack up 25-30 kills a game which can be annoying but you get used to it and rejoice when you score top in a game or on your team.

I also love the theatre in H3 - yesterday I scored a solo run in CTF halo whilst killing the entire opposing team twice over. Its great to be able to watch it again with a nice cup of tea and I swear I spent another 30 mins crafting a video to save for posterity. And you can send them to other people with Halo 3 just like this!

That is class

well a) there is a radar in CoD which works if a person fires an un-moderated shot or the UAV is active

b) I thought Halo's radar only worked off movement so if a guy stands still it doesn't detect him (could be wrong there but that's what I remember of it anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

You're right - the halo radar is a motion tracker so you see every one who is moving nearby. COD seems to show only those who are shooting, so for me as a noob it is a lot more likely that I will walk into a room that is already occupied by a 5 star general or whatever....:mad:

Re. the camoflage thing, point taken, but I personally prefer the clean lines, the colour and the open spaces of halo compared with the COD levels I've seen so far (and admittedly I haven't seem all of them).

I am sure all the people playing COD on portable TVs agree with me!

I am sure all the people playing COD on portable TVs agree with me!

Ah this throws a lot of light on the situation, I am playing this on a 32 inch Panasonic (which is an amazing telly by the way) and I do need it for those long range shots so i can see how playing this in standard def may be annoying

the weapons thing is just not really true. there are 2 exceptions I have found, the 50 cal and the last LMG. Other than that the best weapon is the M16 with a red dot site.

but the red dot sites arent available from teh start, thats what i mean

if you have an Ak 47 and the other guy has an Ak 47 with the sight, its easier for him, even though ye have he same weapon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

I only started playing COD4 online a few days ago , im my opinion its excellent so far , why people complain ill never know. just play and enjoy , I got my red dot sight and yes it is easier but its does not take much trying to get the red dot sight .,, i still cant decied if its better than BF2 MC:D ..

if you have an Ak 47 and the other guy has an Ak 47 with the sight, its easier for him, even though ye have he same weapon

it takes 25 kills to unlock it. You can get that at level 1 or 2. Hardly very difficult

My point is red dot site or no red dot site the M16 is my favourite weapon which is available at level 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Both games are too dis-similar (new word btw) to make valid comparisons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It only takes, what, 75 kills I think to get the red dot? Thats usually 4 or 5 games for me so not a major disadvantage.
    I almost exclusively use the M4 with red dot which I unlocked on my first day playing, and you can always pick up other people's weapons.

P.S. I wouldnt worry about red dot on AK47, its one of the weapons where its wasted.

• Advertisement

it takes 25 kills to unlock it. You can get that at level 1 or 2. Hardly very difficult

My point is red dot site or no red dot site the M16 is my favourite weapon which is available at level 1.

hardly the point i was making. I simply said i dont think its fair that all the weapons arent available at the start, its a bit silly.
    If someone just starts playing the game now, they may find it harder to get into, as others will be ranked way higher and have different weapons

mcgovern wrote: »
    It only takes, what, 75 kills I think to get the red dot? Thats usually 4 or 5 games for me so not a major disadvantage.
    I almost exclusively use the M4 with red dot which I unlocked on my first day playing, and you can always pick up other people's weapons.

P.S. I wouldnt worry about red dot on AK47, its one of the weapons where its wasted.

its only a mere 25 kills dude

I also agree about the AK, definitely a weapon I don't use it on, much prefer the grenade launcher attachment for the AK

the m4 is crap-tastic though. Way way underpowered. It fires the exact same sized ammo as the m16 yet is much weaker for some reason :rolleyes:

Yes it has a shorter barrel and therefore all the gas from the powder has probably not expanded to accelerate the round to maximum velocity and therefore energy but the difference would be tiny so I cannot understand the lower power of the M4. The M4 and M16 should have the same power but the M16 should be more accurate, less mobile as a result of the longer barrel. Also the ak uses the 7.62 round so that should be a thumper, one round from that and it should be all over. Similar sized round as all the sniper rifles bar the .50 BMG barret.

tis only a game I suppose but it is annoying. If you use real weapons please use real weapon physics.

hardly the point i was making. I simply said i dont think its fair that all the weapons arent available at the start, its a bit silly.
    If someone just starts playing the game now, they may find it harder to get into, as others will be ranked way higher and have different weapons

But you're not taking my point

The weapons are not a valid excuse for poor n00b performance. yes the weapons are different but they are not more powerful/accurate bar the 2 exceptions I made earlier

Take it from someone who has unlocked all but 1 weapon, the unlocks are not worth the hassle and will not suddenly make you better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

But you're not taking my point

The weapons are not a valid excuse for poor n00b performance. yes the weapons are different but they are not more powerful/accurate bar the 2 exceptions I made earlier

Take it from someone who has unlocked all but 1 weapon, the unlocks are not worth the hassle and will not suddenly make you better

I've al the weapons now and I'm nearly finding it harder cos I'm swapping stuff around too much and experimenting with them.

They're easy to get even if you start off with everyone else on level 55, just put in time and play some domination, you rack up the kill count there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Yeah, all unlocks are based on time spent playing and not so much skill.
    While the better you are speeds it up, you are still going to get everything unlocked sooner or later :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I spent a few hours playing last night pulling my hair out because all the better players had better guns with red dot sights. Infuriating as it wasn't a fair matchup.

Then I opened up the challenges and found I could get my own red dot. So after playing a few more game and getting my 25 kills, I now have my own super cool red dot sight.

Couldn't try it out last night, but I'm going to dish out pain tonight :D Revenge is so very sweet :D

my point it that i just dont like that they dont open up all teh weapons from the start, it seems a bit silly

Anyone looking to level up fast should play Ground War mode (thanks to friend and foe aka under glass for introducing me to this mode, it kicks ass). it is bloody mental

It swaps between domination and team deathmatch except with 18 players.

Forget having a decent kill to death ratio as its just so fast paced its hard to cover all the angles and defend yourself well but lots of kills and fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, ground war is good craic. In fact I find I do better in that than the smaller team games. Last Friday I took a massive lead on my team in terms of the kills I had in the deathmatch mode only to get a phone call, a knock on the door and let the dog out for a piss. I returned to find I had dropped to midway in the team which still wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I still don't get all the complaints about not having all weapons unlocked at the start.
    A few days ago I unlocked the G36C.
    I was playing for a few hours, and did not use it for all matches. At the end of the session I had something like 300 kills with it, I think it took 2 matches to get the red dot :confused:

Advertisement