Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car insurance

Options
  • 30-10-2007 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

which car insurance company would any one consider affordable for a student? any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sit down with a phone and a Golden Pages and call everyone, brokers & companies alike. If you don't do this, you will almost certainly end up paying more than you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Anan1 wrote: »
    Sit down with a phone and a Golden Pages and call everyone, brokers & companies alike. If you don't do this, you will almost certainly end up paying more than you need to.

Exactly. 20mins on phone can save ya hundreds, and do the same come renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I couldn't find anyone cheaper than Quinn.

I couldn't find anyone cheaper than Quinn.
    For your particular requirements, this year. I couldn't find anyone cheaper this year than FBD for one car, AXA for another. Who knows who'll be cheapest for any of us next time around.

Axa seem to be completely useless when it comes to young drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

try quinn there the cheapest price i got

I think the OP should call everyone, to see who's the most competitive. Are you seriously suggesting they should not call AXA, on the basis that in your opinion they're useless for young drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Ring up loads of places, including brokers.

Quinn was cheapest for me by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I dont know if hibernian still do the ignition test but i did it about 4 years ago and no other insurance company can touch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Yea defo try everyewhere. im a young driver and axa quoted me €1000 less than quinn

• Advertisement

I think the OP should call everyone, to see who's the most competitive. Are you seriously suggesting they should not call AXA, on the basis that in your opinion they're useless for young drivers?
    My opinion is based on personal experience last year, several other people here on boards (like here) and others which suggests they are just not interested in insuring young/new drivers at a reasonable price.

My opinion is based on personal experience last year, several other people here on boards (like here) and others which suggests they are just not interested in insuring young/new drivers at a reasonable price.
    Come on, this is ridiculous. Surely you can see that the only way the OP will know whether or not AXA is competitive for them is by getting a quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm for ringing everyone aswell. But done forget about 123.ie and insure.ie they'll give a rough idea of prices, also they all have online systems now so you don't even have to ring. Just use the net. But still can't beat calling/checking everyone in the phone book. Also the OP says student, but doesn't say if they are mature would make a difference. I'm assuming they aren't though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

I can pretty much guarantee you won't get cheaper than QD if you are 17-22 (unless you're an older student). My quote this yr with QD (Male 22, full license on a 1.4) was €1100.

Tried Axa, Hibernian, Eaglestar ,etc and a few others - minimum was €2000. Nearly double.

All my friends are with QD (they are ages 18-22) and couldn't find anyone cheaper either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'm for ringing everyone aswell. But done forget about 123.ie and insure.ie they'll give a rough idea of prices, also they all have online systems now so you don't even have to ring. Just use the net. But still can't beat calling/checking everyone in the phone book. Also the OP says student, but doesn't say if they are mature would make a difference. I'm assuming they aren't though

A lot of insurance companies offer different prices over the internet than the phone. I'm sure Hibernian probably give a better deal if you call in than if you get an online quote. For one thing, the online system won't give you the option of doing Ignition.

Come on, this is ridiculous. Surely you can see that the only way the OP will know whether or not AXA is competitive for them is by getting a quote?
    There's nothing stopping him trying, but I bet you he'd be wasting his time! I'm not saying to just go with Quinn and don't bother with anyone else - he may find someone better, but I can't see it being with AXA.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

supposedly.... now this is just what someone told me, AXA are giving 40% discounts for 3rd level students now

I realise that this might just not actually make axa cheap now but I just thought Id let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Hiberian seem the best for me.Nobody else is quoting.I have rang everyone.
    Just got a quote on a 07 Golf gti , am only 23 fully comp for 1200 euro.Now thats not bad, Im a happy camper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

That's an excellent quote! You must have a full licence for a good while then, yeah? Hibernian wouldn't quote me on my 95 GTi which is less powerful than yours - and I'm 26 with a licence for 2 years. Of everyone else, FBD wouldn't quote me either and Quinn were, once again, far cheaper than everyone else (even if it is an increase on last year's premium).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm surprised they gave you such a cheap quote dre, considering all your penalty points and stuff :D
    Is that under your own name or as a named driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He probably put down "Nissan Micra" on the insurance forms ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

I'd recommend pricing insurance on the net and ringing up then to see if yu can do better. I was quoted €1150 for a 1.4l (22yr old male) online, I then rang up QD and it worked out at just over €800!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I would love to know how the insurance companies come up with the quotes. I was with axa when i recently moved from meath to cavan so i rang them to update my new address. This is how the conversation went down:

Me:Hi I've moved to cavan. Here's my new address
    AXA: ah that's great. Your policy premium has increased slightly.
    Me: By how much?
    AXA: €70.I can add that to your monthly premiums and it can be paid over the remaining term.
    Me: Why has it gone up by €70?
    AXA: Because you moved to Cavan.
    Me: But why has me moving to Cavan increased it by €70?
    AXA: Because there are more km of roads in Cavan than in Meath.
    Me: Are you serious?
    AXA: Yes

I paid the €70 like a bloody eejit. When the renerwal came around they sent a quote of €750. That was €150 more than the year before. When i called them again they could get it down to €650 for me but that was by removing benefits like windscreen cover and roadside assistance. I checked around and heard of Prestige Insurance in Cavan town. They quoted me €350 with all the benefits.

Stephen wrote: »
    I'm surprised they gave you such a cheap quote dre, considering all your penalty points and stuff :D
    Is that under your own name or as a named driver?

Its under my own name, I actually got the insurance yesterday as it was due for renewal.I couldnt believe how cheap it was .Hibernian know my whole story eg last year i had 8 points at one stage and now only have 4 points.I have been really happy with hibernian in the past 4 years.

I can pretty much guarantee you won't get cheaper than QD if you are 17-22 (unless you're an older student). My quote this yr with QD (Male 22, full license on a 1.4) was €1100.

Tried Axa, Hibernian, Eaglestar ,etc and a few others - minimum was €2000. Nearly double.

All my friends are with QD (they are ages 18-22) and couldn't find anyone cheaper either.

Well thats wrong.When i was 22 i paid less than 800 for insurance on a 1.4 golf.Now have a 2.0 turbo and am paying 1200.Now thats good.Quinn wont even quote a gti.

Advertisement