Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving work for college, entitlements?

• 30-10-2007 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

I'm in my late 30's, and as like a lot of other school leavers in the 80's with being the eldest child college was never really an option (parents could not afford it).

I have just completed 21 years in the defence forces and so have the option to retire on a pension. This pension affords me some financial security as my wife works full time and we have no childern.

I feel that as still being fairly young I can quite literally start over again. I would love to go back into education I have done some online and distance learning courses over the years and my job entailed a lot of classroom work so the idea of sitting in a class full time does not scare me.

I read in an earlier thread that you can get a back to eduction grant which would afford me the chance to go back full time. Does anyone know what if any grant would I be able to claim does it depend on the course you sit or your age etc.

Would anyone have any advice for an old dog attempting to learn new tricks.

Comments

Greetings!

In relation to your query, i've some information in my signature about people going back to education which you might find useful. The main education grant is the maintenance grant (aka third level grant) and it's solely for full-time courses, not part-time. Age does come into it but only if you're under 17, or under 23 (there are various categories, you see). I've never seen an age limit on it, if that's what you're wondering!

If you're doing part-time education, you could avail of tax relief on the fees, and possibly your wife could avail of this too should you be going into any aspects of education (I'm not sure about this, so might be worth checking with revenue.ie).

As for the Back to Education Allowance, there are various ways of obtaining it, which is again detailed in some of the links in my signature. Alternatively, contacting your local Social Welfare Office would be advisable.

That's all I can think of right now - have a look at some of the links and if there's anything else free free to ask it and i'm sure someone will be along to answer it.

Best of luck with your future studies :)

Advertisement